Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Chambered Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default Chambered Revolver

When you conceal carry your revolver do you keep it chambered?

Had a friend preaching not to leave one in the chance the hammer comes back a little and sets it off.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
When you conceal carry your revolver do you keep it chambered?

Had a friend preaching not to leave one in the chance the hammer comes back a little and sets it off.
Sure do. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar type safety that prevents the firing pin from engaging unless the trigger is pulled...

Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #3

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Sure do. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar type safety that prevents the firing pin from engaging unless the trigger is pulled...
Load your gun and go to the range,then cock the hammer,hold the hammer and pull the trigger until the hammer releases and hold the hammer in place, then let off the trigger fully,then with your finger off the trigger,let the hammer go on a full strike-guess what-it won't fire!The transfer bar won't be between the hammer and firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully back.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Load your gun and go to the range,then cock the hammer,hold the hammer and pull the trigger until the hammer releases and hold the hammer in place, then let off the trigger fully,then with your finger off the trigger,let the hammer go on a full strike-guess what-it won't fire!The transfer bar won't be between the hammer and firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully back.
I said it in less words!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #5

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

yup........

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This ain't the 1800's. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar or similar device. Load them chambers up!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

What I kept telling him but he very adamantly claimed not all modern revolvers do, that he has first hand seen a revolver go off unintentional from a hit on the hammer.

Complete lie?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
What I kept telling him but he very adamantly claimed not all modern revolvers do, that he has first hand seen a revolver go off unintentional from a hit on the hammer.

Complete lie?
I know of no modern revolvers (unmodified) from any major manufacturer that would allow this to happen. Maybe one of the old RGs or something...

Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Complete lie?

I dont know if his statement is a lie or not, but I do believe that older revolvers and replicas of older revolvers can discharge and that an empty chamber should be under the hammer. The owners manuals of many single action cowboy revolvers (Colt Single Action) even reccommend carrying only 5 bullets. I also believe that SASS has a rule that you can only carry 5 bullets in a 6 shooter, or 4 bullets in a 5 shooter with the hammer over the empty chamber for this reason.

That being said.......I do carry my modern revolvers with all chambers loaded and I leave one out for the cowboy pistols.

I think that it would be really tough for somebody to comment on the statement that allmodern revolvers do or do not have a feature with all of the revolvers makers out there.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:

Complete lie?
Probably... but not necessarily. Terribly MIS-INFORMED... is a better choice.

There isn't a single "modern" revolver (that's functioning properly) that will go off from a hammer strike.