Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Chambered Revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/chambered-revolver-25114/)

notdku 03-24-2010 04:54 PM

Chambered Revolver

When you conceal carry your revolver do you keep it chambered?

Had a friend preaching not to leave one in the chance the hammer comes back a little and sets it off.

NGIB 03-24-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notdku (Post 256534)
When you conceal carry your revolver do you keep it chambered?

Had a friend preaching not to leave one in the chance the hammer comes back a little and sets it off.

Sure do. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar type safety that prevents the firing pin from engaging unless the trigger is pulled...

ninjatoth 03-24-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 256536)
Sure do. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar type safety that prevents the firing pin from engaging unless the trigger is pulled...

Load your gun and go to the range,then cock the hammer,hold the hammer and pull the trigger until the hammer releases and hold the hammer in place, then let off the trigger fully,then with your finger off the trigger,let the hammer go on a full strike-guess what-it won't fire!The transfer bar won't be between the hammer and firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully back.

NGIB 03-24-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 256556)
Load your gun and go to the range,then cock the hammer,hold the hammer and pull the trigger until the hammer releases and hold the hammer in place, then let off the trigger fully,then with your finger off the trigger,let the hammer go on a full strike-guess what-it won't fire!The transfer bar won't be between the hammer and firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully back.

I said it in less words!

MoHawk 03-24-2010 05:26 PM

yup........

Mark F 03-24-2010 05:37 PM

This ain't the 1800's. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar or similar device. Load them chambers up!

notdku 03-24-2010 07:35 PM

What I kept telling him but he very adamantly claimed not all modern revolvers do, that he has first hand seen a revolver go off unintentional from a hit on the hammer.

Complete lie?

NGIB 03-24-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notdku (Post 256668)
What I kept telling him but he very adamantly claimed not all modern revolvers do, that he has first hand seen a revolver go off unintentional from a hit on the hammer.

Complete lie?

I know of no modern revolvers (unmodified) from any major manufacturer that would allow this to happen. Maybe one of the old RGs or something...

amoroque 03-24-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Complete lie?

I dont know if his statement is a lie or not, but I do believe that older revolvers and replicas of older revolvers can discharge and that an empty chamber should be under the hammer. The owners manuals of many single action cowboy revolvers (Colt Single Action) even reccommend carrying only 5 bullets. I also believe that SASS has a rule that you can only carry 5 bullets in a 6 shooter, or 4 bullets in a 5 shooter with the hammer over the empty chamber for this reason.

That being said.......I do carry my modern revolvers with all chambers loaded and I leave one out for the cowboy pistols.

I think that it would be really tough for somebody to comment on the statement that allmodern revolvers do or do not have a feature with all of the revolvers makers out there.

Mark F 03-24-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Complete lie?

Probably... but not necessarily. Terribly MIS-INFORMED... is a better choice.

There isn't a single "modern" revolver (that's functioning properly) that will go off from a hammer strike.