The "Center Mass" Myth - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The "Center Mass" Myth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

To go back to your first post, which said it best, somewhere between the throat and bottom of the rib cage.

It's been dissected to death since then.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
To go back to your first post, which said it best, somewhere between the throat and bottom of the rib cage.

It's been dissected to death since then.
That's it. You nailed it.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #33

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Thanks Tack. One of the things I remember from my academy days was the phrase dead center chest. Aim for dead center chest. Dead center chest shots have the best chance of a hit. Dead center chest hits will end the fight right now. In this day of litigation and political correctness do you think dead center chest was replaced by center mass to appease the public? I can't think of any other reason to do it.
Most likely is was changed for PC reasons.

Durring my Service the mission of hunting down the enemy to kill him was called "Movement to Contact"

Before that I believe it was called "Sweep and Clear"... And before that I believe it was called "Search and Destroy".

Should my youngest son ever serve... they will probably be calling it "Locate and offer Terms of Peaceful Resolution".

Again... Thanks for the post, I always appreciate good info from people who've seen more gun shot victims than I... from your avatar I assume your an EMT so I'm certain your qualified to speak on the matter.

Tack

Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #34

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Should my youngest son ever serve... they will probably be calling it "Locate and offer Terms of Peaceful Resolution".

Tack
I like how Anakin Skywalker put it; "Aggressive Negotiations" (no, I'm not that guy, my 7 year old son is the Star Wars nut!)
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
There something seriously wrong with a society that can't tell it like it is, but that's fodder for another thread.

Quote:
Again... Thanks for the post, I always appreciate good info from people who've seen more gun shot victims than I... from your avatar I assume your an EMT so I'm certain your qualified to speak on the matter.

Tack
I worked as an EMT and paramedic for 30+ years, but the real training was at the same civilian trauma center the nearby Army and National Guard sent their surgeons to before Desert Storm. It was a regular gun and knife club every day of the week.

We got to follow them all the way from the door to either the OR or the morgue. It was the best anatomy training I could get, and the canoe maker loved to show the effects of gunshots to anybody that had an interest. Six months in that place will make a believer out of you. If you didn't know what to shoot and where to aim when he got done with you you probably needed regular reminders to breathe.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #36

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

A drill I train on and teach my guys is thre "zipper drill". If 2 shots "center of presented mass" doesnt stop the threat then you start putting rounds from pelvic girdle to head the same as if you are doing up a zipper. If you train enough you can put a lot of rounds in short matter of time.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #37

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Agreed.
But "center mass" could also be described as the center of the exposed area.
Last time I shot a silhouette at the range it was from the beltline to the head. Center mass of that is right about chest level. Not a lot of mass in the head so a good shot will be somewhat higher than midway up the target. I can't see anything wrong with describing that as 'center of mass'.

I suppose if they ever put 6' tall silhouettes on the range I might have to change my opinion of what 'center mass' means.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

lots of good information going back and forth here on this thread. lots for a person to give consideration too.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #39

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was taught that center mass is exactly as described in the beginning of this thread. I have never heard a shooter or instructor refer to anything lower than the rub cage as center mass.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #40

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

I hope you're right. I just can't remember it ever being called center mass back then. During the all male classes they were even more explicit. Put 6 between the nipples. That doesn't work out to center mass, either. I hope I gave some people some food for thought.
It is good stuff for sure.With the recent influx of new shooters as well as new ccl carriers .I hope that they're reading this and gathering some understanding.It has always been my understanding and was taught that center mass was in the area of the chest.As you have described in this post.