The "Center Mass" Myth - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The "Center Mass" Myth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #141
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 509 Times on 312 Posts

So Doc, are you telling us that if we have been trained to shoot center mass we where trained wrong. So if you Were to shoot someone with a shotgun or an ar or a pistol they won't go down.

Please tell us how many fire fights have you been in to come to this Conclusion. Because a paper target, doesn't shoot back.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #142

Liked 4727 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
So Doc, are you telling us that if we have been trained to shoot center mass we where trained wrong. So if you Were to shoot someone with a shotgun or an ar or a pistol they won't go down.

Please tell us how many fire fights have you been in to come to this Conclusion. Because a paper target, doesn't shoot back.
Partner, I think you missed the point of Doc's thread... Reading comprehension prior to a dick measuring contest is always well advised.

Tack
Old 05-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #143
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 509 Times on 312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Partner, I think you missed the point of Doc's thread... Reading comprehension prior to a dick measuring contest is always well advised.

Tack
No I read it and comprehended it very well. I just don't agree with what the op posted.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #144
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1893 Times on 1113 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
No I read it and comprehended it very well. I just don't agree with what the op posted.
E-6 Special Forces
Did you read my posts? I have been in my share of firefights in both the military and LE.
Do you agree or disagree with what I said?

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 05-05-2013 at 03:25 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #145
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I didn't read all 10 pages of threads, but I recall a conversation with a friend who was on the SWAT team at the time, and their shots are aimed at severing the spinal Cord to instantly incapacitate an offender. If your ability is good enough, a shot from the bottom of the neck to the brain dead center will sever the cord and instantly drop whomever you are trying to stop. Think of it as "cutting the power cord."

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 05-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #146

Liked 4727 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

GP...

I would suggest reading the entire thread, this has been covered.

More importantly... the topic and Doc's suggestion is geared toward the CCW holder and the greatly reduced terminal ballistics offered by EDC handguns.

I don't know if the OP has been in any shootings but he's seen an treated more gunshot victims than all of us combined so I'm inclined to listen to his advicemas it pertains to EDC firearms and the most effective location on the body to aim for.

Of course we all understand that rifles are far more devastating and forgiving in regards to shot placement.

Tack

Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #147
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
GP...

I would suggest reading the entire thread, this has been covered.

More importantly... the topic and Doc's suggestion is geared toward the CCW holder and the greatly reduced terminal ballistics offered by EDC handguns.

I don't know if the OP has been in any shootings but he's seen an treated more gunshot victims than all of us combined so I'm inclined to listen to his advicemas it pertains to EDC firearms and the most effective location on the body to aim for.

Of course we all understand that rifles are far more devastating and forgiving in regards to shot placement.

Tack
I get that, but 10 pages of discussion was more than I was ready to ready at the time of my post. Yes, I know most ccw's aren't high powered rifles, my input was just saying that there was validity to the center mass point of view. And yes, I agree that there are other ways to incapacitate an attacker, and yes I realize that a medic or doctor or ER room nurse would see a great deal more than the average person. There was a video a while back about the NY capacity debacle, and it was stated there that something like 85% of the rounds fired by the NYPD miss their mark, and that multiple hits are required to bring the average offender down. Unfortunately, many people think of it as it is in the movies that a single shot has some sudden instant ability to incapacitate whomever it strikes. My wifes favorite line during movies when I comment is, " It's a movie."

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #148

Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

The validity to CBM shots is simply that under duress your

pistol is going to be even less accurate than it is at the range.

Rifles are nice, but who CCs one?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #149
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
There was a video a while back about the NY capacity debacle, and it was stated there that something like 85% of the rounds fired by the NYPD miss their mark, and that multiple hits are required to bring the average offender down.
There could be a few reasons for that. To start with, NYPD is using either 9mm for the newer officers or .38 Special for the veteran officers. As evidenced by so many other departments making the switch away from 9mm, both of these calibers appear less than ideal for police work. Secondly, the NYPD has seen fit to require either an 8 lb trigger pull (NYPD 1) or 12 lb trigger pull (NYPD 2) on all their pistols. In addition, all issued sidearms are double action only.

Another reason for the multiple hit problem has been covered very well in this thread. Police officers are trained to fail. Check the link comparing actual anatomy against the standard B27 target.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/doc-how-do-i-know-standard-b27.jpg

Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #150
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

This is not in response to any recent post, just the overall subject.

I think one thing we all need to remember is the training level of the shooter. I have taught some people on a B-27 target that were lucky to get anywhere near that gigantic "X" ring. Some others were a natural and started with most landing there. However, after a few lessons and fixing some problems, they all got inside it. Advanced training got them drawing from concealed and double-tapping the targets while handling FTFD, FTEJ and FTFR. Depending on your level of competence and education, "center of mass" means different things:

New shooter = on the paper
Learning shooter = "X" ring
Advanced shooter = chest cavity
Top operator = skull cavity

In this way, the term "center mass" applies to all shooters, just with different meaning.

Another objective this term achieves is to make sure to break shooters from the "Hollywood" trick shooting, i.e. head shots, shooting the gun out of someone's hand, shooting to wound, etc. this was created in the grade B westerns to make them more exciting and, unfortunately, the mass public believed that all shooters have these options available to them, and some shooters have even started to believe it. "Center mass" is a reminder to stick to basics and shoot to end the conflict.

Finally, in some states, it is ILLEGAL to use a deadly weapon (ANY FIREARM) in a non-deadly fashion. Warning shots, intentionally shooting someone in the leg to wound them, shooting the gun out of his hand are all illegal uses of a firearm and can put you in jail. "Center mass" keeps this in check as a constant reminder of where to aim and also what to say after-the-fact when being interrogated. All-in-all, when everything is taken into account, I think it's a workable phrase for training and tactics.

Oh, I posted this before, but thought it should be re-iterated: the pelvic shot after the double-tap fails is NOT a punitive shot and is not a "shot to the 'nads." It was taught to stop drug abusers that feel no pain, as a cracked pelvic bone causes a critical failure of the skeletal system and guarantees collapse. The shot is aimed at the belt buckle or slightly lower, but NOT the groin. A groin shot would hit all soft tissue and fails to crack the pelvis.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

wizard63 Likes This