CCW security guards - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CCW security guards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default NYPD vs. Mall Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I'm sorry you take exception to my comments, but you have to admit NYPD has a crappy public image. NYPD has roughly 35,000 sworn officers. Of those 35,000 officers a small number of them have made the entire department look like they are trigger happy cops.

Let's look at some numbers. Leroy Webster? Seventy three rounds. They hit him twice and might have killed a bystander. Amadou Diallo? 41 rounds. Sean Bell? Fifty rounds. Brian Allen? 43 rounds.

Working on the assumption that all these officers received the same training, and with round counts like that, I still think I'll go with an armed mall cop.
This may be the case for those officers Doc, since they acted without restraint and didn't rely on their training.
Let go with the fact that I'm kind of an insider fior a minute.
I lived in NY all my Life until my relocation to Az 17 months ago.
As i mentioned, several relatives and In-Laws served both In the Military(myself included) and In the NYPD. One of my Best Friends' kid sister(and admittedly, a former flame of mine) was the Range Sgt. @ Rodmans Neck for several years.(the main weapons training facility for the NYPD-In the Bronx nr. City Island)
I'm one of a small group of military personnel who have been an invited guest to that facility.....

"Minimum # of Rounds for Qualification" let's discuss that for a minute.
if you carry the Glock(as My friend did) or the Sig Or S&W autos,...you must demostrate ability to change Mags SEVERAL times, and your minimum QUalification is 100 rounds. Not 25 or 50,..100 Rounds. The Army didn't even make be shoot 100 rounds in basic with the .45 or the M-16A1c(yes,...I was Pre-.9mm days,..but adapted to one later) Ofcourse my situation is different because I was in a basic class of Warrant Officer Candidates..but I digress.

I was an "Armored" Guard while In Criminal Justice School prior to my enlistment. I recevied NO Additional training at the age of 18 that I didn't get from my family on my own on how to handle a pump 12 gauge(870) or a .38(another job where you can carry a .357 but you could only load .38's-back in 1978 anyway) NYPD by contrast has a 9 month police acad. program, and now they REQUIRE at least a 2 yr. associates degree, or equiv. military service to even apply, compared to the surrounding areas(Westchester co., Nassau Co.(where i spent 9 years before moving to Az.) and suffok co., all pay their police MUCH higher salaries then NYC does. (thanks to mayor billionaire Burg) but You only need a H.S. diploma to get into their acad. programs(as long as you commit to getting at least a 2 yr. assoc. degree within your first 5 years!)
My best friend left the dept. in 2008 after 23 years(The last 13 as a det. 3rd grade). He worked the "Pile" after 9/11. Now he has minor Heart issues from the stress. He still has to work(part time) as an Investigator/transporter for Cartier because he left before 25 years(even though you can retire at 20 with 82% of you last 3 years). As a NYC teacher I wasn't so lucky. We have to work 30 & be 55 to get 80%...I had 26.5 pensionable years, including 2.5 yrs for my 5 Active military service years, but I was only 50 when I retired...so only 62%!!
All i'm trying to say is, We know its a hard job to begin with, excluding the jerkoffs,..lets cut the rest of em some slack! You have to first work 5 Years to even get to 45K a yr.& thats with either a BA/BS or An AA/AS! Advanced degrees don't count until you make Sgt. or Det. 3rd Grade... My friend had a BA in Photography when he entered the NYPD,..all it got him was an assignment to Crime Scene after his probation...So i'll take the NYPD over a Mall cop anyday!

Dr. Bill(DrFootball)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
NSDQ-The 160th SOAR, Americas' Taxi's for Special Operators!

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

As I said, a few bad ones are tarnishing the image of the rest of the department. It's a shame. As far as the round count in training, it's 20 rounds lower than what our department required for us in the 70's. Of course targeting systems we didn't have back then are probably in use, as well as extensive shoot/don't shoot training.