CCW security guards - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW security guards

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Ill have to check into it. Its in Jeffersonville In, its says retaio setting but there are no malls in that area or any high end clothing or jewelry stores either. Maybe a pawn shop but i cant see a pawn shop paying that kind of money to anyone on thier payroll.

As far as the pay goes, ive never heard of a security gig in this area paying more than $10/hr, which isnt worth my time, so Im a little skeptical.

I do have a valid lifetime Indiana gun permit, which allows open or cc so Ive got that basis covered.

__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

when I lived in Indiana, a few years ago, a Private Detective License plus a License to Carry a Handgun was required for a security guard job. An internet search on Indiana gun laws would help, as would a visit to an Indiana State Police post.

__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

I did finally find something on it. According to the site I linked in Indiana it is up to the company hiring the guard to determine whether a license is required.

http://www.securityguardtraininghq.com/armed-security-guard-training-indiana/

And just to be sure I looked at another site. This one says Indiana has no mandate requiring a license.

http://www.securityguardtraininghq.com/armed-security-guard-training-indiana/

__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

OK, good. I'm glad you found something.

__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,mi
Posts: 3,044
Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default

Where is gecko45 when you need him?

__________________
partdeux is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,040
Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Armed mall guards scary ? What is scary is malls where no one is armed except some " active shooter " with a rifle and an attitude . I have nothing but contempt for the view some of you seem to hold - that guards should be sent into dangerous places under orders to work unarmed . Events like the Father's Day Massacre back me up on this .
If armed mall guards scare you, try this incident on for size : A federal law enforcement officer pulled a gun on a federal building unarmed guard simply because the guard entered a secure area of a building . The guard was responding to a silent alarm that the bumbling law officer had triggered . If lawmen do things like that, why single out mall guards for insults ?
Yeah, I know, you want "all of the facts on the above case" before you'll concede my point...

__________________
Rentacop is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,823
Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Armed mall guards scary ? What is scary is malls where no one is armed except some " active shooter " with a rifle and an attitude . I have nothing but contempt for the view some of you seem to hold - that guards should be sent into dangerous places under orders to work unarmed . Events like the Father's Day Massacre back me up on this .
If armed mall guards scare you, try this incident on for size : A federal law enforcement officer pulled a gun on a federal building unarmed guard simply because the guard entered a secure area of a building . The guard was responding to a silent alarm that the bumbling law officer had triggered . If lawmen do things like that, why single out mall guards for insults ?
Yeah, I know, you want "all of the facts on the above case" before you'll concede my point...
Armed mall guards are no more scary to me than armed NYPD officers. Either one presents a risk to bystanders, but it sure beats the alternative.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Sorry Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Armed mall guards are no more scary to me than armed NYPD officers. Either one presents a risk to bystanders, but it sure beats the alternative.
I have a problem with the above: Just because in the last few yrs. there have been a few "incidents" let's not paint All NYPD as "threats"
Disclaimer: 2 Uncles, 3 Cousins 1 FIL and one BIL all in NYPD, as well as several close friends. 99 percent are extremely Well trained if not Experts in what they do. I was almost one myself until I decided on a Green uniform in stead of blue
(Oh, dad wasn't NYPD he was federal.....)

DrFootball
(USARMY Ret./Med.)
NSDQ
__________________
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,823
Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I have a problem with the above: Just because in the last few yrs. there have been a few "incidents" let's not paint All NYPD as "threats"
Disclaimer: 2 Uncles, 3 Cousins 1 FIL and one BIL all in NYPD, as well as several close friends. 99 percent are extremely Well trained if not Experts in what they do. I was almost one myself until I decided on a Green uniform in stead of blue
(Oh, dad wasn't NYPD he was federal.....)

DrFootball
(USARMY Ret./Med.)
NSDQ
I'm sorry you take exception to my comments, but you have to admit NYPD has a crappy public image. NYPD has roughly 35,000 sworn officers. Of those 35,000 officers a small number of them have made the entire department look like they are trigger happy cops.

Let's look at some numbers. Leroy Webster? Seventy three rounds. They hit him twice and might have killed a bystander. Amadou Diallo? 41 rounds. Sean Bell? Fifty rounds. Brian Allen? 43 rounds.

Working on the assumption that all these officers received the same training, and with round counts like that, I still think I'll go with an armed mall cop.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 6,167
Liked 6888 Times on 3461 Posts
Likes Given: 7474

Default

I wont lump them altogether as one but according to their own rules, NYPD's can re-qualify yearly by getting a very minimal amount of range time that is way less than seems appropriate. Thats where I will transition back to the OP. Can you be a CCW Security Guard where you are without training and Should you are two different questions. I wouldn't want the responsibility without the training and I dont call 17 years in the Infantry a qualifier for myself, I would want to go through and certify with a reputable trainer before I took that responsibility on for myself.

Lets face it, your walking a peaceful beat 99% of the time trying to prepare for the 1% SHTF scenario that you will be remembered for for life or death. $18.00 per hour is pretty good pay for the job, I bet if you had the training to offer your future employer you would be highly desirable instead of just qualified by law.

__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Guards in schools John_Deer North Carolina Gun Forum 5 02-01-2013 01:44 PM
$$$ Remington 700 trigger guards?? SEHunter General Rifle Discussion 6 11-06-2012 03:27 AM
Mid length hand guards heartlessmcfly AR-15 Discussion 14 04-03-2012 01:49 AM
The Queens new guards......... mr1911 The Club House 1 07-31-2009 10:01 PM
Border Guards maxwell The Club House 2 01-20-2009 11:06 PM