Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CCW security guards (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ccw-security-guards-90650/)

dragunovsks 05-13-2013 11:15 PM

CCW security guards

I was looking on craglist for a weekend or part time job when in the security section i come across an ad asking for people with valid IN or KY handgun permits to serve as armed security personnel in a retail setting. My question is whats the legality of using CCW or handgun permit holders as security guards? I know that some states and cities require armed guards to undergo training but Im unsure if this is the case in my local area. If its legal I may take the job on a part time basis since it pays $18/hr.

BeyondTheBox 05-14-2013 04:40 AM

I dunno man, if your state is open friendly who cares, you're officially legal. If it's only good for ccp holders then you're good there too. No difference between at work or not. Logically speaking that is. Law is always incompetent and unjust, you have to do research there... or better yet, have the company do it for you. Seems like if major retailer they'd already know. No?

trip286 05-14-2013 05:17 AM

Every state I've lived in required security guards, armed and unarmed, to undergo training and become certified, and I THINK that's really a nationwide deal, and I THINK the reason why is because the big name security providers (wackenhut, securitas) has a stranglehold on the industry and can pretty much write their own rules.

Some of those states required armed guards to be permit holders. Why the hell, I don't know. That was NC law in 07.

At 18 an hour... That sounds freaking nuts to me. Where the hell do you live that they're willing to pay that much for armed retail security? (I can't see locations on my phone).

Starting pay at the nuke power plant near Raleigh is only 14 an hour the least I checked in 2011, only 2 years ago, and they're issued (I believe) select fire M4's and MP5's. And it's a nuclear power plant.

At that much money, and carrying a gun, I can't imagine you WOULDN'T get certifications.

It bears looking into. But beware, if there's no certifications, then you're really nothing but an armed civilian, and the same laws apply to you as they do everyone else.

danf_fl 05-14-2013 09:15 AM

Florida has specific conditions (in their statutes) when a security guard can be armed.
And with what they are allowed to carry.

Doc3402 05-14-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 1245783)
I was looking on craglist for a weekend or part time job when in the security section i come across an ad asking for people with valid IN or KY handgun permits to serve as armed security personnel in a retail setting. My question is whats the legality of using CCW or handgun permit holders as security guards? I know that some states and cities require armed guards to undergo training but Im unsure if this is the case in my local area. If its legal I may take the job on a part time basis since it pays $18/hr.

This is not something you want to take advice over the internet for. If you don't know your local laws about this job it would pay to learn them. I do know that here in Florida it makes no difference whether you have a concealed permit or not. You go by the statutes covering guards. If you are certified as an unarmed guard your carry permit is worthless while on duty.

c3shooter 05-14-2013 09:40 AM

Laws will be state specific. Being licensed as an armed security guard does not (most cases) grant ability to carry concealed- so you need the license. Working in a blazer and slacks (bank guard) would require CCW.

Pay varies a LOT, Trip. 10 yrs ago, Wackenhut had the contract at the Rocky Flats Nuke Weapons plant- average officer there in Coloroado was make $49K a year- but most is not that good.

7point62 05-14-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1246271)
Florida has specific conditions (in their statutes) when a security guard can be armed.
And with what they are allowed to carry.

That's right. They can carry a .357 revolver but are only permitted to chamber .38.

As to the OP, ditto on being very careful to check your state statutes regarding armed security guard licensing.

7point62 05-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1246224)
At 18 an hour... That sounds freaking nuts to me. Where the hell do you live that they're willing to pay that much for armed retail security?

Armed security in a retail setting in itself is pretty rare unless it's big pawn shops, jewelry stores, check cashing/paycheck advance outlets in bad neighborhoods. But armed mall cops is a pretty scary thought.

txpossum 05-14-2013 10:58 AM

I did a very quick check on the internet, and got an indication that Kentucky may not require any additional certification; however, if so, this would be unusual, as most states require additional training. I would suggest you look up the specific statutes for your state, or contanct the licensing authority for security guards. As stated above, this is not something that I would depend on unofficial internet advice on.

Doc3402 05-14-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7point62 (Post 1246303)
Armed...But armed mall cops is a pretty scary thought.

Unfortunately, times are changing. In fact, we have a couple malls that could benefit from it. I just hope the training is appropriate for the job they are hired to do.