Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Scenarios "what to do"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Thought I would start a thread on the use of "lethal force" scenarios that maybe you may have thought up. I think about them often, like what I would do given this or that, how I would try to resolve it. In complicated situations like these there might not be any right or wrong answers, that's the whole point. Maybe if we discuss some tough ones, we can all gain more knowledge and more clearly understand the huge responsibility we have chosen to take on.

Two examples of mine:

1.) someone has started a fight with you (you can't retreat), you aren't afraid for your life yet and your handling your own, during the tussle your sidearm becomes visible and he sees it, and now the attacker is coming at you again.

or

2.) your in a restaurant, multiple attackers enter with weapons in a robbery attempt, it's 3 against 1, lets say your backgrounds are clear, do you attempt to resolve the situation with uneven odds, or do you risk the chance that they might not shoot you and others?

Once again, maybe you have thought up your own scenarios..

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 12-07-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

1 I would do my best to knock his lights out. I am not concerned about someone grabbing my gun. I use holsters with a good retention system. Him going for my gun would be enough of a distraction for me to get the upper hand.

2 I would try to escape or hide. The odds are not in my favor. I would much rather make a good run than a bad stand.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I think about what to have for supper, do i enuff cold beer for the weekend, will it be warm enuff to take the boat out today, is it time to have the oil changed in the wifes truck?
Last thing on my mind is will i have to shoot somebody today

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
I think about what to have for supper, do i enuff cold beer for the weekend, will it be warm enuff to take the boat out today, is it time to have the oil changed in the wifes truck?
Ok, you don't ever think of what-if's, check.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
You're messing up his thread's intent.... but I go along with your thinking.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

You're messing up his thread's intent.... but I go along with your thinking.
Well, all due respect the subject in general has been beat to death.

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

25-5 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Well, all due respect the subject in general has been beat to death.
Always something to learn and ponder given well thought out responses. Scenario based thinking has merits proven time and time again in a multitude of different fields.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #8

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post

Ok, you don't ever think of what-if's, check.
I try my best not to do such fantasizing because I don't want to have any preconceived notions about something or someone. I want to take every situation for what it is individually.

Personally, I won't be pulling my gun in 9.9 of 10 situations. I don't care about living so I can't fear for my life. I Can and very well might fear for a painful death, but not death itself. That said, I cant and won't make that call for others, nor do I demand or wish to see a gruesome end for any. So if something were to present itself where I could use my firearm to save another's life, I'd gladly do it, however the specifics would have to be just right.

No other potential victims or bystanders and I would have to be able to place myself between the would be victim and the attacker to ensure that only the BG and I would be the only in imminent danger. Then you have to take into account that I live in a state that had no ghetto, no projects, I don't go downtown and I'm just one of those harmless looking cool guys everyone loves. I've got the gift of gab and people just like me, so I'll probably never have to do it, but I guess I'm prepared nonetheless, kinda. Lol

Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

Life itself is like a game of chess and all one can hope for is a not-too-quick check-mate.
If you know (or have an idea of) your opponent's moves, then you can avoid check.

"What ifs" are played all the time. And most of my "what ifs" are about how not to get in the situation where a firearm is needed.

The firearm I carry is for unseen emergencies. Just like the First-Aid kit and fire extinguisher in the house and vehicle.

And I train with the First-Aid kit, the fire extinguisher, and firearm to handle the situation the best I can.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Read this before you decide to carry!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
HOSSFLY Likes This