Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default CCW Questions

I'm finally going to get my CCW. Had the form for awhile, but had to take a hunters "safety" class (at 30 some years old) as for some reason it one of the classes that qualifies as a "firearms safety" course before you can get a CCW in Montana.

Anyhow, Montana is a "Shall Issue" state, but they still ask on the form "Why do you need a CCW? Explain in detail, use extra sheets of paper if necesarry." So I'm thinking the answer to this is...1) As a collector of firearms it makes the purchase and transportation of firearms easier, and 2) For personal defence while traveling in isolated areas. What do you guys thing the "right" answer is here.

Second question, I plan on getting a 1911 of some sorts when I can afford all the features I want, in addition to that, I will defanitly own a pocket piece. But I was wondering how may of you have used anckle holsters, and how big of a gun can you pull off in that configuration? I'm really kind of paranoid about printing in the summer if I try to OWC, and don't think I could comfortably work all day with a IWC.

Thanks for your comming advice!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd use both responses they sound reasonable. I wouldn't get into the "it's my right" etc.

Second, I have known guys to carry baby Glocks in an ankle holster without complaining too much. I have carried a S&W 5 shot airweight with a 3 inch barrel, and a Kel Tec P3AT without problems.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

To me there's only one real answer:

"To provide a means of personal defense."

I really don't know anyone that carries for very long in an ankle holster - just way to difficult to deploy the gun. A small pocket type pistol makes it much easier to carry and deploy the Ruger LCP is a great example. When the time comes for a 1911 - we'll offer plenty of advice...

Old 02-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #4

I got mine without having to do anything but have two references and a background check and I live in pennsylvania. maybe all states should be a little stiffer.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
I got mine without having to do anything but have two references and a background check and I live in pennsylvania. maybe all states should be a little stiffer.
Background check fine, references fine, I'll even go for the saftey course, but Hunter's Safty should be renamed "Trying to impose our ethics on young minds" Class.

They barely touch firearm safety. All they're worried about is convincing the kids in the class that they should turn in their buddy if they are poaching to feed themselves.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

I believe your answers are good! And that for personal defense as well as I am a collector and transport weapons to and from shows etc.
CAR4s answers to weapons is good!
Believe it or not! I use to carry a Model 66 2 1/2' Revolver in an ankle holster. It took some getting use to but I carried it for probably 5 years while off duty. Got use to it and did not think much about it. And I also carry a Model 27 Glock in one today! I like the smallest weapon with the most power. After all you are not going to be shooting it too much. So the smaller (But absolute reliability close range accuracy) with power is what you want!
In Tennessee the residents must attend a Personal Carry Course that is State instituted through designated instructors throughout the state. When the person successfully completes it they receive a card that looks like a Drivers License. In Indiana all that is required is an appointment with the local Police Chief or Sheriff for and interview. A written letter of reason and intent and wait for the license after approval. But no live fire or function with weapon.
I am thinking that having a licensing program like Tennessee which requires a person at least know how to function and fire a weapon is not a bad idea.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

Say something like, "Because I can't carry a cop", or "Because when seconds count police are only minutes away"...

No seriously. Put down why you want to get a concealed weapons permit. I think your reasons that you stated are just fine.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentghost View Post
say something like, "because i can't carry a cop", or "because when seconds count police are only minutes away"...
roflmao!!!

Last edited by Jesse17; 02-27-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: .....

Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #9

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I think both answers are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I really don't know anyone that carries for very long in an ankle holster - just way to difficult to deploy the gun. A small pocket type pistol makes it much easier to carry and deploy the Ruger LCP is a great example. When the time comes for a 1911 - we'll offer plenty of advice...
I would agree. I tried an ankle holster for a while with my P3AT and I didn't like it. The gun is not readily available. I wanted it in a place that it ALWAYS is. Depending on what you're wearing that's an IWB, OWB, or pocket holster. There are also paddle holsters, but I prefer a belt mounted OWB over a paddle.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I was trying to get away with something bigger than a .380 but guess I'd probably end up with a .380 in an ankle holster too. So I might just as well pocket carry it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!