CCW question about 30 state permit

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW question about 30 state permit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW question about 30 state permit

hello i am looking to get my CCW permit. I am from michigan and when i was in nebraska i had a gentleman telling me about the "Utah permit" that allows you to legally carry in 30 states. I am from Michigan and if i researched properly... that is not one of the 30 states i can carry in with the Utah permit. I dont want to just carry in michigan as i do a fair amount of traveling. how can i obtain a 30 state permit, and do i have to do the utah permit course and the course in my own state? any help would be great, thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Michigan is one of those states that want to pretty much be by them self's when it comes to being a ccw permit holder. (just like Illinois and Ohio) Get your permit in Michigan and if you can get you one from another state that is in alliance with the others and that's all you can do

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9151 Times on 3952 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

2440, Michigan DOES recognize Utah permits- IF you are a resident of Utah. If I understand correctly, you are a resident of Michigan, but want to carry in states that may not recognize a Michigan permit? If so, Utah DOES issue non-resident permits. Yes, they require instruction. As does Michigan. A Google search of the Utah regs shows that there are insructors outside of Utah that are certified to teach the Utah standard course. One of them is in Michigan.

Richard Anderson ................................ 775-657-9911
e-mail ......................... ccw@ccwacademy.com
web site ....................... www.ccwacademy.com

Why not contact him, explain where you are headed, see if he has suggestions, if one course can meet requirements of both states, etc.

Good luck- C3shooter

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #4

thanks to both of you guys already, i will contact the guy now because youre right if i can take a course that covers both then that would benefit alot. thanks!!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I apologize

I miss read your question and i was wrong (lmao) but in any case Michigan is honored in all but a select few states here is a link to give you clarity on your question http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
2440, Michigan DOES recognize Utah permits- IF you are a resident of Utah. If I understand correctly, you are a resident of Michigan, but want to carry in states that may not recognize a Michigan permit? If so, Utah DOES issue non-resident permits. Yes, they require instruction. As does Michigan. A Google search of the Utah regs shows that there are insructors outside of Utah that are certified to teach the Utah standard course. One of them is in Michigan.

Richard Anderson ................................ 775-657-9911
e-mail ......................... ccw@ccwacademy.com
web site ....................... www.ccwacademy.com

Why not contact him, explain where you are headed, see if he has suggestions, if one course can meet requirements of both states, etc.

Good luck- C3shooter
thanks for giving me the light there C3 I dunno what i was thinking when i told that fella that lol

Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #7

Sometime it takes multiple permits to get the coverage that you want. One thing for sure, you want a permit from your residence state as that is the only permit that several other states will recognize ... a "residence permit". If you need to bolster coverage you can look at any number of other state permits that will be issued by mail. Utah requires training by a Utah certified instructor, for instance. PA does not. Nor do several other states. handgunlaw.us is a great place for information on states that will issue non resident permits and where they are good. FL for instance will only recognize a permit issue by FL or a permit issued by your home state.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For all those interested in a Utah issued CC permit, a great site that provides lots of information is UtahConcealedCarry.Com • Index page You should be able to answer just about any questions you have about it.

One thing of note about the Utah permit, though, is it does not require a shooting competency test. Because of that missing requirement, Nevada has recently stopped recognizing the Utah permit. If your state requires a shooting test, the Utah permit may not be the best choice.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #9

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

Carry Concealed this is a pretty cool site.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #10

rifleman1... that website is extremely helpful! thanks!