CCW Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW Question

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I am not very knowledgeable on this issue. I plan on getting my CCW permit next year, and after trying out various 'plastic' pistols, I found the Walther P99 to be my favorite. Unfortunately, I can't decide which model's trigger (the AS or QA) is the more effective choice to use as a CCW. Does anybody have any good suggestions on which model would be the better choice to go with?

Last edited by TwoHandRevy; 12-31-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

what is the as and qa action? ive only heard of sa and da

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #3

Here is the skinny of it all taken from the Walther catalog:

Walther P99AS

By integrating a Single Action Anti Stress trigger into its design, the Double Action P99AS helps prevent unintentional “reflex” firing in stressful situations. After the slide has been pulled completely to the rear, the trigger remains in the forward position for the first shot. This prevents inadvertent firing not only in the double action trigger mode, but also in the single action mode. As a result, the trigger travel is .55” long in the anti stress mode with 4.4 lbs of trigger force that helps to prevent inadvertent firing. On all subsequent shots, the trigger travel is reduced to .314” with the same trigger force for classic P99 quick reset firing.

Here is a visual explination of the trigger system:

Walther P99QA

The P99 Quick Action pistol with uniform short trigger pull and independent safeties is the choice for both law enforcement tactical teams and competitive shooters. The P99QA hammerless pistol is capable of being disassembled without the need to pull the trigger. Simply remove the magazine, clear the chamber, press the takedown button and slide the takedown catch to remove the slide. The trigger mechanism incorporates a striker system that is partially pre-cocked. When the trigger is pulled, the striker becomes fully cocked and released, firing the pistol. With approximately .31 inches of trigger travel and 8 lbs. of trigger force, the short trigger pull and reset provides quick shot delivery, especially in competitive situations.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would by all means go with the quick action trigger system. I'm pretty sure you'll regret having the LONNGG reset of the as trigger system. It's nearly always better to have the least amount of trigger travel/weight within reason for the most accurate shooting. The as is more of an conventional da/sa trigger system. Even though the qa trigger is heavier, it's consistant from shot to shot.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 12-31-2008 at 08:33 PM.