Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Practice Draws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default CCW Practice Draws?

When I took my CCW course (www.udrange.com, from Sgt Paul Bastean), Sgt Bastean told us that of the 6000+ people he had taught since 2003, he was aware of three 'shoot' incidents. All were justified, but one in particular, the guy could not get his weapon out of his pocket. By the time he finally got it out, the assailant had fired several times. Luckily, the assailant was an idiot, and had loaded 3 types of rounds in a revolver, and all shots were misfires.

What I took away from this, was that whether you've got an IWB, pocket, or ankle holster, you need to practice. I mean, what's the point of carrying if you can't get it out in under a second? Do you guys/gals practice daily? Whatever I'm packing (Ruger LCP pocket or Glock 27 IWB for me), every morning when I get to work, I shut my door and practice retrieving my weapon for 5-10 minutes. I can have them out less than a second.

(and yes, concealed weapons are ok where I work. I've told my boss I would quit if they prohibited them)

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrower View Post
When I took my CCW course (Ultimate Defense Firing Range & Training Center, from Sgt Paul Bastean), Sgt Bastean told us that of the 6000+ people he had taught since 2003, he was aware of three 'shoot' incidents. All were justified, but one in particular, the guy could not get his weapon out of his pocket. By the time he finally got it out, the assailant had fired several times. Luckily, the assailant was an idiot, and had loaded 3 types of rounds in a revolver, and all shots were misfires.

What I took away from this, was that whether you've got an IWB, pocket, or ankle holster, you need to practice. I mean, what's the point of carrying if you can't get it out in under a second? Do you guys/gals practice daily? Whatever I'm packing (Ruger LCP pocket or Glock 27 IWB for me), every morning when I get to work, I shut my door and practice retrieving my weapon for 5-10 minutes. I can have them out less than a second.

(and yes, concealed weapons are ok where I work. I've told my boss I would quit if they prohibited them)

Personally I practice on average of 30 minutes a day working on a variety of things I've learned in classes and private instruction. Sometimes as little as 15 minutes and sometimes up to a couple of hours days I go to the range.

Time wise, from a standstill, hands down by side, with cover garment, 15-18 feet my first three draws (with no warm up) averages around 1.24 seconds with a shot on CM. Yes, I can go a little faster but this is a speed where everything is nice and smooth and a great sight picture on my intended target.

Unfortunately I know several people who carry but hardly go to the range a few times a year let alone work on getting their gun out to defend themselves. I think part of it is people don't realize how unprepared they are for a life and death encounter (you don't know what you don't know) and for other's it's just not high on their priority list.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

If I could "plan" a possible critical incident against me in which I had to protect my life, I would be well-prepared and have received every bit of training I could.

However, in real life my time is quite limited, as is my money. Since training classes and range time takes money as well as time, I do what I can. But I dont feel too bad knowing that it is better to be armed and undertrained than unarmed and undertrained.

At the very least I make sure I am carrying a firearm that is clean and has ammo that cycled well a few months ago at the range.

YMMV (and probably does...)

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

i would thnk if your being actively fired upon first thing is seek cover then deploy your firearm. but all what-iffs are different and its possible to what-if yourself to the rubber room.

practicing your draw with an empty gun is critical. practicing for a bunch of what-ifs is the path to insanity.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #5

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I know tht most LEOs do this to but i even do this during concealed carry.. Just like conducting a traffic stop, if the driver or passenger were acting hinky or even if i got a weird feeling in my stomache i would unsnap the thumb break or in my case i used a blackhawk level 3 serpa holster so i would pop the hood forward tht way it was one less action i would have to make if i had to pull "which i had to ALOT" if im out somewhere i study my surroundings and the behavior of every person around me. If i ever get tht gut feeling tht i always trust i will secretly unsnap my thumb break, some people use open top holsters which r good too. I just like a thumb break for my 1911

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #6

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i would thnk if your being actively fired upon first thing is seek cover then deploy your firearm. but all what-iffs are different and its possible to what-if yourself to the rubber room.

practicing your draw with an empty gun is critical. practicing for a bunch of what-ifs is the path to insanity.
Not tooting my own horn jon but talking about draw speed and training kicking in. We had a situation one time where a person with a felony warrant refused to come out of his mothers house so we had a stand off with him through a sliding glass door. I had my 870 14" barrel shotgun and my cpt beside me and undersheriff and sheriff behind me authorized forced enrty. I exploded the sliding glass door with the barrel of my 870 and set the shotgun down,pulled my X26 and while the glass was still falling i tased the subject through the falling glass and entered the residence. But i didnt know tht it went down this fast until we had the subject in custody and my reserve riding with me told me how fast i did it.. Just an example of training mixed with adrenalin

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 09-18-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
If I could "plan" a possible critical incident against me in which I had to protect my life, I would be well-prepared and have received every bit of training I could.

However, in real life my time is quite limited, as is my money. Since training classes and range time takes money as well as time, I do what I can. But I dont feel too bad knowing that it is better to be armed and undertrained than unarmed and undertrained.

At the very least I make sure I am carrying a firearm that is clean and has ammo that cycled well a few months ago at the range.

I somewhat disagree. Yes, it's our god-given right to carry, but we need to do everything we can to be prepared. Just the other day a couple of cops accidentally shot two bystanders. IMO, if you can't budget your time and money to practice drawing and shooting, then you are being somewhat irresponsible. Not meaning to argue with you, just my two cents. (In all fairness, if I couldn't afford practice ammo, I'd still carry)

Old 09-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #8

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrower View Post
I somewhat disagree. Yes, it's our god-given right to carry, but we need to do everything we can to be prepared. Just the other day a couple of cops accidentally shot two bystanders. IMO, if you can't budget your time and money to practice drawing and shooting, then you are being somewhat irresponsible. Not meaning to argue with you, just my two cents. (In all fairness, if I couldn't afford practice ammo, I'd still carry)

I made it sound somewhat callous, didn't I? I take it very seriously, my responsibilities as a sheep dog and my skills as a CHL holder. I mentally rehearse all the time, visualizing situations (my mind just never stops so I do this during little 5-minute free chunks of time or whatever).

I just don't spend 10 minutes a day drawing my gun. I'm glad others do, though.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I practice specifically on my draw maybe half an hour per week total (including in my car), which is how I ended up with my specific carry position and concealment garment choices.

I was amazed how much trouble I had early on regarding quick-draws. I'm no Wyatt Earp or whatever, but at least now I'm pretty confident my hand will end up in the right place and I won't get tangled up in my clothes or anything?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #10

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

IMHO I feel that in a high stress situation your life depends on the training that you have invested in keeping yourself safe and alive. I practice my draws with my weapon empty, when I get into my truck I stage my weapon in another holster that I have mounted in my truck. I practice my draws from both of these holsters often, over and over.