Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > ccw pistol for summer weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ccw pistol for summer weather

Whats a good ccw pistol that can easily be concealed in summer weather condition? I live in las vegas where summer time can get up to 115°. Im not too fond of revolvers either. Right now I carry 9mm sigma with an Iwb holster which works great in winter. But im having problems in the summer time....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Bersa thunder .380

forumrunner_20120123_164800.jpg  

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I usually carry my Sig P290 and was seriously considering getting the p238 because I like the 1911 platform. If you can wait till Q2 of this year Sig is putting out the P938 which is the same as the 238 just in 9mm. Only problem I foresee is getting one I have a feeling they are going to sell faster then Sig can make them.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Depends on how you dress. I didn't start carrying until I retired, so have no 'dress code' to meet. A loose, untucked shirt is about as cool in hot weather as you can get & can hide just about anything you want, with the proper holster & belt. If you try to go cheap on those two items, it can make it harder to conceal.

I carry OWB & can carry a full size 1911 & I have a full size 17+1 9mm Bersa that I carry.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Smith & Wesson bodyguard .380. If you are willing to spend $500, go for the sig P238 it's very nice.

image-2849838279.jpg  

Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #6

Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
Depends on how you dress. I didn't start carrying until I retired, so have no 'dress code' to meet. A loose, untucked shirt is about as cool in hot weather as you can get & can hide just about anything you want, with the proper holster & belt. If you try to go cheap on those two items, it can make it harder to conceal.

I carry OWB & can carry a full size 1911 & I have a full size 17+1 9mm Bersa that I carry.
Agreed 100%. I live in Sunny Florida in stinking heat and humidity. I carry a full size 1911 IWB full time. With good leather you can conceal under a colored or print tee shirt with no problem. In the Winter, I think I could conceal a tank if they made a good holster for it.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Love my Kahr CM9 for those summer days when I just don't want to wear enough clothes to carry something bigger. Disappears in my front pocket.

kahr_cm9.jpg  

Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #8

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Why do people think they should downsize their weapon in the summer? Statistically crime rates are higher in the summer months. So just when you might need a weapon the most you want to hamper your ability to defend yourself with a tiny weapon.

A good holster and belt a loose fitting shirt that you can leave unbuttoned and you can conceal a normal sized gun. I like to leave the shirt unbuttoned because it's a lot easier to access your weapon that way and it is cooler.

How did we get conditioned to this small gun mentality? Everything in this country is all about bigger is better, more is better, more power, more, more, more. But then when it comes to defending your life somebody says here is this little gun with a low powered round isn't it great.

Not trying to piss anyone off but it does seem to fly in the face of logic. Please don't try to argue for the tiny guns with the old "it's better than nothing". That doesn't wash I mean if that was the case let's issue LCP's to the police and when they say WTF we can tell them "Hey it's better than nothing". Better than nothing only works if you don't have a choice in the matter.

Again I'm not flaming anyone. For me it's just a more logical way to look at it.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

I carry a CZ82.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Why do people think they should downsize their weapon in the summer? Statistically crime rates are higher in the summer months. So just when you might need a weapon the most you want to hamper your ability to defend yourself with a tiny weapon.

A good holster and belt a loose fitting shirt that you can leave unbuttoned and you can conceal a normal sized gun. I like to leave the shirt unbuttoned because it's a lot easier to access your weapon that way and it is cooler.

How did we get conditioned to this small gun mentality? Everything in this country is all about bigger is better, more is better, more power, more, more, more. But then when it comes to defending your life somebody says here is this little gun with a low powered round isn't it great.

Not trying to piss anyone off but it does seem to fly in the face of logic. Please don't try to argue for the tiny guns with the old "it's better than nothing". That doesn't wash I mean if that was the case let's issue LCP's to the police and when they say WTF we can tell them "Hey it's better than nothing". Better than nothing only works if you don't have a choice in the matter.

Again I'm not flaming anyone. For me it's just a more logical way to look at it.
I agree and carry my normal handgun during the summer.

For me that can be a 5" 1911, Glock 19, P-35, or 3" GP100. Learn to use good quality gear and dress around the gun and you will be able to carry your winter carry gun in the summer in most cases. Heck I've even carried a 4" N-Frame revolver in the summer wearing cargo shorts.

I also carry a BUG.