CCW Permits
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Permits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW Permits

So I recently heard that in at least two states -- Florida and Utah -- one can get a conceal carry permit by mail, even if you are a non-resident. I understand that other states will also allow you to get a non-resident CCW permit simply by applying in person. What I am wondering is if you have a permit for another state, can you conceal carry in a state where conceal carry is prohibited, such as Illinois or Wisconsin? I was just kind of wondering if there might be ways around these stupid laws. Open carry is legal here where I live, but they will give you a ticket for disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace if you carry in a public area because people complain, which is pretty much the same thing as just saying conceal carry is not legal. I also wonder if you live in another state, would states such as Illinois or Wisconsin honor permits from other states? I am guessing no. So just wondering about it if anybody would like to answer. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #2

Some States do issue CCW permits via the mail.

They are NEVER valid in States that prohibit CCW.

Also some States only honor non-resident CCW's IF you have a valid ID from that State.

CCW laws do work very well. If your State prohibits CCW...get involved with the NRA affiliated organization(s) in your State and get it changed !

Old 09-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Nope. An out of state permit is not a magic ticket to carry. The only reason to get one is to add states to your list. I know a lot of folks with Utah and Florida permits as it add some states which don't recognize our Georgia GFL.

Here in GA, it's a real pain that our GFL is recognized everywhere in the SE - except SC. Since SC has a training requirement and GA doesn't, SC will not recognize a GA license. To make sense of the mess, this site is a big help:

Handgunlaw.us

Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #4

A great source of information about CCW law is Handgunlaw.us. You can build an interactive map where you check off the states in which you have permits and it will tell you where you can carry based on the reciprocity agreements between states.

Both UT and FL do issue CCW permits to non-residents. I live in CA, so effectively can't get a CCW here since I am neither a politician or a movie star. I do have a UT and FL CCW, and with those two I can carry in some 33 states. For one of them (don't recall which), you do need to have 8 hours of handgun training. Here in CA there is a small industry of companies that will give you the training, walk you through filling out the forms, get your fingerprints, and so on for getting the UT and FL permits. It's a pretty painless process.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 09-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #5

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

i live in ca i've got a ccw permit, i live north of sacremento

Old 09-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
i live in ca i've got a ccw permit, i live north of sacremento
True enough, in some CA counties ordinary folks can get a CCW. In LA County (and most other metropolitan counties) you need to be someone special though.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 09-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #7

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

yah i've read a couple replys on here from some guys who say there from LA, some say ordinary people can get a ccw permit there but i don't know the facts. i would say to look into it, i think all law obiding citizens should own and carry concealed handguns.bad guys would think twice then.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
yah i've read a couple replys on here from some guys who say there from LA, some say ordinary people can get a ccw permit there but i don't know the facts. i would say to look into it, i think all law obiding citizens should own and carry concealed handguns.bad guys would think twice then.
geez, everywhere i've read CCW is pretty much impossible in southern Cali.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post
geez, everywhere i've read CCW is pretty much impossible in southern Cali.
It's because Southern California is a "high-crime" area. Because there are gang members, and other acts of violence, they feel that it is essential to take away the rights of everybody to have a weapon, even if it's people that have not done anything wrong. Somehow, they think that will stop crime and that black markets exist only in Fantasy Land.

California is the most liberal place in the country with New York not far behind. Did you know that there is a law in California, because of the liberal animal rights' groups, that dictates how closely together farms can place chickens in a chicken coop? Laws like this cause farmers and other business to leave.

California is the top place in the country that people move out of. Half of it is due to the high income tax and other high taxation. They also have the highest budget deficit of any place in the nation. Billions of dollars in debt. That's higher than some countries in other parts of the world.

In the book I have, it also states that part of California's budget deficit is something like $400 million that goes to pay for free education for illegal immigrants. That's complete ****. Why aren't they spending that money to pay for some poor black kid's education, or some poor white kid's education, who were born here?

Now I don't understand why they won't allow or encourage conceal carry, especially in a high-crime area like that. Take Minnesota for example. Minnesota's crime rate has significantly decreased thanks to the passage of shall-issue conceal carry in their state. It is because instead of facing unarmed citizens, with only a few cops around at any given time, criminals now fear not only those police, but thousands of armed citizens. If anything, every state in the country should follow in Minnesota's example. Florida is the same way. My second cousin lived in Florida for a long time and he said at one time, you couldn't carry a gun. But soon after all the drug wars started going on, they allowed people to arm themselves because they knew police weren't there to protect all the time, and it has curved the crime rate there.

From my understanding of it, most of California is may-issue, where you have to be a celebrity or gov't official where your life is worth more than someone else's to be able to protect yourself.

Another state I feel we should all model is Nevada.

I don't know what it will take for California, much less the rest of the country to wake up.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #10

You're making me sick reading your post.... b/c it's all true. I love CA because it's my home and I live in a decent part. But I agree with all the stupid crap that is going on. Let's vote/approve on a 10 billion dollar bond for a high speed train between LA and San Francisco... WTF? You need to get to SF?? Then take a freaking plane, or drive. But let's screw the parents of children and (as you stated) give more comfort to the chickens... again, WTF?

A part of me doesnt' want to leave home, but a part of me can't stand how my home is being flushed down the toilet... literally. Maybe I'll have to move my family sooner than I planned. CCW here I come!