CCW permit... options?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW permit... options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Default CCW permit... options?

Hope I'm not showing my true ignorance too much here, but I was at a bar recently, talking with a buddy about getting his first handgun and our permits. The bartender overheard and joined in. He mentioned something about a broader scope permit that covers a large number of the states, rather than just ours. He called it a Utah license or permit, does this sound legitimate to anybody?

I like the idea of an interstate permit, though I very rarely travel outside of my own. Just curious I guess...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #2

It's called reciprocity and yes it's real. Every state that has CC has the option to accept other states licenses. If I remember correctly Florida and Utah are the most widely accepted and nonresidents can get CHL(that's what it's called in Texas) from those states.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

You will get what ever permit is issued in your state. I doubt that there are different levels of CCW in your state. (I have been surprised before). You will have to check which additional states will honor your license, but you will have to be aware that the different states have different carry rules that you will have to follow when traveling.

There are good references for the correct to answer to these types of questions and forums are not the best source. Your states laws, regarding CCW, will most likely be online, and if you don't understand them, or you are not sure you understand them, talk to a lawyer who does gun cases where you live. This advice is coming from a plumber.........

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #4

So he meant Utah quite literal in term. Okay, cool, good info thanks.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yep Biz is correct,

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
So he meant Utah quite literal in term. Okay, cool, good info thanks.
Yes, he meant Utah literally. Lol

Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8871 Times on 3843 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Check your state regulations. While you CAN obtain a non-resident permit from a broadly accepted state, SOME states require that to carry IN YOUR HOME STATE, you must have a resident license from that state.

Example- I live in East Dakota. I CAN get a permit from the state of North Alabama that is recognized in 36 states, BUT- as a RESIDENT of East Dakota, I cannot carry in East Dakota without an East Dakota permit. Varies from state to state- that is why I said check YOUR state regs.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Check your state regulations. While you CAN obtain a non-resident permit from a broadly accepted state, SOME states require that to carry IN YOUR HOME STATE, you must have a resident license from that state.

Example- I live in East Dakota. I CAN get a permit from the state of North Alabama that is recognized in 36 states, BUT- as a RESIDENT of East Dakota, I cannot carry in East Dakota without an East Dakota permit. Varies from state to state- that is why I said check YOUR state regs.
I get ya, already figured and planned on that one.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #9

Um where the hell is the state of East Dakota or North Alabama?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdaddy
Um where the hell is the state of East Dakota or North Alabama?
I know it's an example but why not just use real states?