CCW Permit for the blind? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CCW Permit for the blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
You wouldn't care if someone in your family was shot and killed because innocent ppl are shot all the time...? Please.. I'm sure your family would be happy to know that....
Of course I would care, but the person's vision (or lack thereof) wouldn't make a difference. I would be too upset by the fact that a family member had just died to really care if the person was blind or not.

What I'm saying is, if an innocent is **** and killed by a stray round, there's no difference between a blind person pulling the trigger vs someone with full vision. People become collateral damage all the time from missed shots. Usually those are from people who can see fully. I see little difference.
People Like This 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #82

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

if one cannot visualy identify their target, then they should not fire. the shooting portion of your ccw class is called "competency" test. if you fail it, you are 'incompetent" with a handgun thus you do NOT get certified and do NOT qualify for a ccw permit.

oh btw, ccw is NOT a constitutional right, rather a state priviledge (earned by becoming "certified" that you know the state laws pertaining to the use of deadly force AND are proficient (also means competent) with a handgun.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
A target on the range doesn't move and doesn't have civilians around them.

If you caint see the target no other senses will make up for that.
You're absolutely right about the first point.

My point is when someone's on top of you, beating you, you don't need to see to hit them. Pull the gun and stick it into their body and pull the trigger.

Anything further away than that, and yes it's dangerous for a blind person to have a gun. It's always dangerous for anyone to pull a gun in self defense, though. Yet we still have that right. A blind person missing his intended target is no different than anyone else having the same result. You can argue it'd be more likely. I personally don't agree. The blind person won't know he's in danger until the BG announces himself in someway (saying "give me your wallet," hitting the blind person in the face, etc.). The blind person will be able to know based on the circumstance where the BG is. And if a BG comes up and just shoots the blind guy in the head without warning, well even someone with full vision wouldn't have a chance anyway.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #84
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10069 Times on 5402 Posts
Likes Given: 21325

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

You'd think this line of thought would be common sense..
Another call for common sense gun control.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762
if one cannot visualy identify their target, then they should not fire. the shooting portion of your ccw class is called "competency" test. if you fail it, you are 'incompetent" with a handgun thus you do NOT get certified and do NOT qualify for a ccw permit.

oh btw, ccw is NOT a constitutional right, rather a state priviledge (earned by becoming "certified" that you know the state laws pertaining to the use of deadly force AND are proficient (also means competent) with a handgun.
You're absolutely right, CCW is not a right. Bearing arms is, however. And CCW is the most modern day accepted method of bearing arms.

Regarding the competency portion of the CCW test. That's absolutely true. However my argument about just sticking your arms out and shooting will allow you to pass the test. In a CCW course there's never any "running and gunning."

Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's what it boils down to. Some people are ok with the government regulating certain things for the perceived safety of a few. Regulate blind people to not being allowed to carry a firearm, so that others might be safe in the event of their drawing their weapon.

This is the same line of thought used by certain people in the country to justify the NSA spying on civilians. The logic is, their spying on us makes us safer. We give up some of our freedoms for perceived safety.

How can you reconcile this?

And please don't say "apples to oranges" because that's really not an argument. It's just a cliche and in this case anyway, it is absolutely apples to apples.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #87
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10069 Times on 5402 Posts
Likes Given: 21325

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/85444362.html?device=tablet
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/21/meet-the-blind-man-nicknamed-midnight-gunslinger-who-has-80-shot-accuracy/
http://theweek.com/article/index/231212/how-did-a-blind-archer-set-a-world-record-at-the-olympics
Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #88

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
Another call for common sense gun control.
If that's what you wanna label it, so be it. I'd rather have common sense anything then nonsense, and what's being debated here makes no sense to me.

I'd love to see a video of a completely blind person taking and passing every aspect of a CC class with zero assistance.

Like many have stated, CC is NOT a right and people are denied daily for various reasons. In NC it's up to the local sheriff.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #89

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
Here's what it boils down to. Some people are ok with the government regulating certain things for the perceived safety of a few. Regulate blind people to not being allowed to carry a firearm, so that others might be safe in the event of their drawing their weapon.

This is the same line of thought used by certain people in the country to justify the NSA spying on civilians. The logic is, their spying on us makes us safer. We give up some of our freedoms for perceived safety.

How can you reconcile this?

And please don't say "apples to oranges" because that's really not an argument. It's just a cliche and in this case anyway, it is absolutely apples to apples.
Dude, no ones saying they shouldn't own or carry.. What's being debated is CC..

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #90
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4166 Times on 2013 Posts
Likes Given: 2086

I certainly believe that the Second Amendment is for all good citizens. And would propose that should a blind person be issued a CCW that there be some kind of a course they could attend to qualify for one. As stated Blind people have senses that we only wish we had. They smell, hear and can pinpoint a voice or a noise to a fine degree and exact direction. Including sensing how close people are to them when confronted. Their hearing is most always fantastic. And I honestly think they could be trained to defend themselves. Those of us who have shot for years also know what muscle memory is. As was in the video with Jerry Mikulec here on this thread. And I am sure with attending a course of instruction most could perform better than most could imagine. So yes I believe they should have the right with the proper training and proficiency to get a CCW. I doubt very much that they would be shooting at any distance probably over 5-7 yards. And the bottom line if a person was standing within that distance and was threatening serious bodily injury or possible death. I doubt that those who had been proficient trained and matched the criteria would have much trouble hitting a target at short distance due to their ultra sensitivity and training. I still do not tell how they can even feel those little Braille Dots and determine what it says or better yet where they are???????? I have felt them in an elevator just to see and oh my! Of course if they could gain the skills mentioned above it would probably be a common sense thing not to have a CCW. I do not think it would be hard to train those with the necessary ability.
And I feel that they would be more reluctant to use the weapon due to their condition!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy