CCW Permit for the blind? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Permit for the blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Seriously...? I'd be willing to wager the majority(51%+) of blind ppl would want no part of handling a firearm, for obviousimage-3297351281.jpg reasons.. :duh:
Are these ppl being 'awarded' CCP's or are they actually earning them? I'm in NC and like stated the shooting requirements are not difficult at at all for those of fortunate enough to have good vision, but I can't see(no pun intended) a blind person qualifying without substantial help doing so.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to purchase, own or carry firearms. What I am saying is if they can't qualify like anyone else then we shouldn't be 'awarding' anyone CCP's.

A better idea for all that are or could be involved would be something less lethal to innocent bystanders. I find it difficult to believe someone who is completely blind can have the same type of situational awareness we were taught/told to have in the CCC I took.

Carrying a gun everyday is a HUGE responsibility for anyone, anyone with a physical impairment such as (complete)blindness should be evaluated closely on their ability to use said firearm, for everyone's safety including their own..

Food for thought.. Add blindness to the GZ/TM case.. Imagine if either were blind..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #72
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8511 Times on 4577 Posts
Likes Given: 18022

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Food for thought.. Add blindness to the GZ/TM case.. Imagine if either were blind..
That would certainly dismiss those racial profiling allegations.

If we allow the government to determine which citizens are healthy enough to exercise a right, where will it stop? No guns for the blind, no free speech for the deaf, no right to counsel for the mentally handicapped...

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #73

image-2017237585.jpg

Can't high five, can't shoot accurately..

DISCE PATI

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool

If we allow the government to determine which citizens are healthy enough to exercise a right, where will it stop? No guns for the blind, no free speech for the deaf, no right to counsel for the mentally handicapped...
Those are apple to oranges comparisons with no repercussions for innocent by standers..
If anyone in your family was accidentally shot and killed by a blind person, I suppose that would be fine?

DISCE PATI

Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Seriously...? I'd be willing to wager the majority(51%+) of blind ppl would want no part of handling a firearm, for obvious reasons..

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to purchase, own or carry firearms. What I am saying is if they can't qualify like anyone else then we shouldn't be 'awarding' anyone CCP's.

A better idea for all that are or could be involved would be something less lethal to innocent bystanders. I find it difficult to believe someone who is completely blind can have the same type of situational awareness we were taught/told to have in the CCC I took.

Carrying a gun everyday is a HUGE responsibility for anyone, anyone with a physical impairment such as (complete)blindness should be evaluated closely on their ability to use said firearm, for everyone's safety including their own..
Just because a supposed majority of a group of people don't want something, doesn't mean a basic right should be denied to the whole group.

Of COURSE blind people should have the same requirement to qualify with their weapon as everyone else. No one was arguing differently.

Just because we are taught that we SHOULD have a high degree of situational awareness, doesn't mean we actually do. "Oh, my instructor told me to be hyper-aware. Suddenly I notice everything." Doesn't work like that. Having a CCW permit is not a magic button granting situational awareness. And like I said earlier, blind people's other sense usually make up for their lack of vision. When they have been blind for most of their life their body learns to compensate.

Quote:

Can't high five, can't shoot accurately..
Have you ever been at the range, and closed your eyes, and extended your gun directly in front of you, and shot at a target at the same distance you have qualified at? How do you know people can't do that? I haven't tried it, but now I will next time I'm at the range. A blind person would only have to be instructed by someone with full vision once or twice and then they can develop it into muscle memory.

Quote:

Those are apple to oranges comparisons with no repercussions for innocent by standers..
If anyone in your family was accidentally shot and killed by a blind person, I suppose that would be fine?
They are similar comparisons because we're talking about denying people their fundamental rights. If someone in my family is shot, I wouldn't give a damn if he were shot by a blind person or someone with full vision. Innocent people are shot everyday. What difference does it make if they're shot by someone whose blind, deaf, mute, black, Catholic, or a redhead? The result is the same.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 09-14-2013 at 08:27 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

And let's pretend Zimmerman WERE blind. First of all he wouldn't have seen Martin walking around so he wouldn't have been in the situation to begin with. Hmmm that's interesting.

But let's be hypothetical for a second and assume Martin came up to him and everything followed exactly as it actually did in their confrontation from that point on. Martin was on top of Zimmerman, pummeling his head into the ground. And then Z shot him. That's the EXACT type of situation I envision a blind person being in and defending himself. You don't even have to aim when you can literally reach out and touch someone.

If Martin were the blind person here, then NO ONE WOULD HAVE DIED. Martin was the aggressor.

I honestly think your M/Z example works in the favor of my arguments...

Always have clean socks.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Just because a supposed majority of a group of people don't want something, doesn't mean a basic right should be denied to the whole group.

Of COURSE blind people should have the same requirement to qualify with their weapon as everyone else. No one was arguing differently.

Just because we are taught that we SHOULD have a high degree of situational awareness, doesn't mean we actually do. "Oh, my instructor told me to be hyper-aware. Suddenly I notice everything." Doesn't work like that. Having a CCW permit is not a magic button granting situational awareness. And like I said earlier, blind people's other sense usually make up for their lack of vision. When they have been blind for most of their life their body learns to compensate.

Have you ever been at the range, and closed your eyes, and extended your gun directly in front of you, and shot at a target at the same distance you have qualified at? How do you know people can't do that? I haven't tried it, but now I will next time I'm at the range. A blind person would only have to be instructed by someone with full vision once or twice and then they can develop it into muscle memory.

They are similar comparisons because we're talking about denying people their fundamental rights. If someone in my family is shot, I wouldn't give a damn if he were shot by a blind person or someone with full vision. Innocent people are shot everyday. What difference does it make if they're shot by someone whose blind, deaf, mute, black, Catholic, or a redhead? The result is the same.
Settle down..
It's different because those people can SEE what they are aiming at.. :idea:

You wouldn't care if someone in your family was shot and killed because innocent ppl are shot all the time...? Please.. I'm sure your family would be happy to know that....

DISCE PATI

Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
And let's pretend Zimmerman WERE blind. First of all he wouldn't have seen Martin walking around so he wouldn't have been in the situation to begin with. Hmmm that's interesting.

But let's be hypothetical for a second and assume Martin came up to him and everything followed exactly as it actually did in their confrontation from that point on. Martin was on top of Zimmerman, pummeling his head into the ground. And then Z shot him. That's the EXACT type of situation I envision a blind person being in and defending himself. You don't even have to aim when you can literally reach out and touch someone.

If Martin were the blind person here, then NO ONE WOULD HAVE DIED. Martin was the aggressor.

I honestly think your M/Z example works in the favor of my arguments...
I said food for thought... :think:

DISCE PATI

Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 707 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
A blind person would only have to be instructed by someone with full vision once or twice and then they can develop it into muscle memory.
A target on the range doesn't move and doesn't have civilians around them.

Quote:
blind people's other sense usually make up for their lack of vision. When they have been blind for most of their life their body learns to compensate.
If you caint see the target no other senses will make up for that.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
A target on the range doesn't move and doesn't have civilians around them.

If you caint see the target no other senses will make up for that.
It's amazing.. You'd think this line of thought would be common sense..

DISCE PATI