Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Permit for the blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 455 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Ok guys, my wife and I went to the range today. We decided to try our hand at blind-folded shooting. We made a video, poorly (via iPad). And edited it, poorly. Sorry its not the best quality. Also, I refuse to show my face. So yeah.

We aren't looking for criticism right now. We just wanted to demonstrate that hitting a target without vision is well within the realm of possibility.

Here it is:
Video Link: http://youtu.be/WrHOjXVEXP4
Also, if you criticize me, I'll probably cry. Just kidding, but still, don't do it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #272
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7299 Times on 4239 Posts
Likes Given: 9403

Some blind folks can "see" with their other senses better than most sighted people. If they can prove proficiency well enough to pass any tests then They should not be discriminated against. A buddy of mine had a blind dog. They didn't figure it out until the dog was 2 years old. Damn dog could catch a ball thrown at it by scent and hearing. Some people are damn near as good.

Or me for instance. I am deaf in one ear. I had adapted to that handicap so well my parents didn't find out until I was 8 years old- and I had to tell them! Knew a guy in high school who was as blind as they come. We taught him how to drive pretty well. He would just follow our directions (which was lots of fun when the rest of us were drunk, considering he didn't drink alcohol and was always the only sober one.)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #273

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

JW & GGaC ,thanks for the video. I also do that while practicing at the range, just without the blindfold. Ill usually go through 2 mags with my eyes shut just to get a sense of how my arm feels like its lining up. You never know, a shot to the face with mace while being attacked or a solid punch to the nose to water your eyes up doesn't mean you can no longer defend yourself from further harm. Also why I wouldn't feel uncomfortable at the range or knowing a competent ccw permit holder was blind.
Haven't been able to put it together but wanted to go out to a buddies land( wide open areas was appropriate back stops) to rig up some movable targets that could be rigged with something to make a noise, a buzzer or something. I would really be interested to see the results from a sighted person and a blind person shooting while the targets are moving one at a time and buzzing.
Oh and tell GGaC she did a great job as well. Thanks guys..

Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #274

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Great video. And while your first attempt was pretty good...just imagine how good you'd be if you practice more. Also ppl who have been blind for a while or all their life would have an even bigger advantage than you because they rely on all their senses all the time and have honed their abilities. I appreciate the effort you and your wife put into attempting to find out for yourselves what it's like for the blind to shoot instead of just rendering an opinion that it can't be done safely.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #275

Liked 3560 Times on 2216 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa
Great video. And while your first attempt was pretty good...just imagine how good you'd be if you practice more. Also ppl who have been blind for a while or all their life would have an even bigger advantage than you because they rely on all their senses all the time and have honed their abilities. I appreciate the effort you and your wife put into attempting to find out for yourselves what it's like for the blind to shoot instead of just rendering an opinion that it can't be done safely.
We enjoyed doing it. It was a good training exercise. And I absolutely agree that people who have been without vision for awhile would be much better off than we were.

Always have clean socks.

artbrownsr Likes This