CCW Permit for the blind? - Page 27
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Permit for the blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #261
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa
What does your "serious questions" have to do with the topic? His ability to drive has nothing to do with his ability to shoot and CC...
thats what I thought.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #262

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You obviously don't have a thought..

1. In my state cops can't give tickets on private property.

2. He could drive on main roads if he wanted too.

3. What does this have to do with blind being able to shoot or conceal carry?

Exactly...you make no sense.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #263
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Just for the record...he can drive too! I give him verbal commands and he does perfectly. First tried when we got our 68 Camaro back from being restored...an 8 year project that began when he could see. No way he wasn't driving it! He also drives our jetskis...I signal him with light taps for turning and speed (usually to slow down) He also hunts...because of the wheelchair it's a bit more difficult but he gets car permits...anyways, Just like most CCW permit holders, he would only draw if he was ready to use it for defense. Not to site down someone far away.
I've gotta say that I admire your husband for not giving up the things that he enjoyed before he lost his sight. Personally I see no reason for the blind not to carry. JW and I actually have a little something in the works to hopefully prove that point. My only concern with anyone, vismally impaired or not, is that they meet the requirements set forth by their state.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 10-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #264
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 548

I have read many posts that a blind person can't see what is behind their target. If someone is on top of a person with perfect vision beating the crap out of them I am sure they are not looking what is behind their target. Moreover, not a lot a blind people are going to apply for a CCW. The few blind people that do apply must feel that they can handle a weapon safely.

I also agree with the slippery slope argument. Many people that are legally blind can see well enough to qualify for a CCW. If the person can qualify they should get their permit. Otherwise the liberals will tweak the laws to the point of needing 20/10 vision to get a permit.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #265

Liked 243 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Gun carry permit requirements are unconstitutional and impractical / unenforceable . Therefore, they are a waste of taxpayers' money .

Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #266
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have read many posts that a blind person can't see what is behind their target. If someone is on top of a person with perfect vision beating the crap out of them I am sure they are not looking what is behind their target. Moreover, not a lot a blind people are going to apply for a CCW. The few blind people that do apply must feel that they can handle a weapon safely.

I also agree with the slippery slope argument. Many people that are legally blind can see well enough to qualify for a CCW. If the person can qualify they should get their permit. Otherwise the liberals will tweak the laws to the point of needing 20/10 vision to get a permit.
Yes to this^^^^^

They have stepped well beyond the scope of reasonable prevention techniques to assuming things that they cannot know. Being Blind is not a problem that needs regulation, crimes against humans are! Im legally blind in my right eye but still shoot shotgun right handed. As we continue to progress with technology, folks that only exist in Star trek like Geordi La Forge, will see better than those of us with real vision.

This thread is really about opening our eyes not preventing a Blind person from hurting someone they shouldnt. Those with disabilities learn to navigate the world that was built for the fully abled better than we do. Walking 5 minutes in their shoes wont do the trick, they are immersed in it 24/7/365 and learn skills and tricks that we could only wish to master.

Those with sensory deficits have been well documented as being able to harness 6th senses that have been mostly vestigial in humans for thousands of years. Lastly, assuming a Blind person cannot make an informed carry decision is short sighted at best. They more than anyone know what they are capable of and the method they could and would employ if necessary to save their own lives.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #267

The original colonists valued their relatively unrestricted right to keep and bear arms , so much so that they enshrined that existing right in the Constitution .
Carry permit laws are an infringement on that right .

Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #268
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Carry permit laws are an infringement on that right .
Are there not already carry permit laws in most states.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #269

manta:
Yes, as I understand it, only Vermont lacks any laws restricting carry of firearms .

But the existance of a law doesn't make it constitutional . Laws must conform to our constitution and have a rational basis . CCW laws fall short on both requirements .

Experience has proven such laws to be unenforeable and they deter good people from carrying for fear of losing jobs or being arrested. Criminals, by contrast, have little to fear from these laws .
Disarming the victims didn't work out well at the Navy Yard, Fort Hood or at countless schools, colleges and Post Offices . Thinking people learn from such events ; anti-gunners haven't so far ...

Last edited by Rentacop; 10-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #270
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Ok guys, my wife and I went to the range today. We decided to try our hand at blind-folded shooting. We made a video, poorly (via iPad). And edited it, poorly. Sorry its not the best quality. Also, I refuse to show my face. So yeah.

We aren't looking for criticism right now. We just wanted to demonstrate that hitting a target without vision is well within the realm of possibility.

Here it is:
http://youtu.be/WrHOjXVEXP4

Always have clean socks.

People Like This