CCW Permit for the blind? - Page 22
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CCW Permit for the blind?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #211
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 333 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post

True but a ballot doesn't leave the barrel of a gun at 900+ fps or scream down the highway at 60 mph, sorry but I truly believe that shooting and driving BOTH REQUIRE the ability to see. I ask anyone who would diasagree would you feel safe at the range if the guy next to you was squeezing off rounds with his eyes closed or if the guy in the big rig next to you in traffic had his eyes closed while driving? I honestly can't believe this is even being debated here. Isnt proper sight picture a huge part of shooting? How can proper sight picture be attained if the shooter can't see the sights? I mean no disrespect to anyone here who is blind or has a blind loved one but this is just common sense. And you cant make me believe that a passenger relaying directions to a blind driver can react as quick and precisely as a driver with good vision. By the time the driver got his verbal directions from the passenger it would be too late. Id be afraid to find out what the ticket would be for that.

Btw, I'm not talking about people who can see but are considered blind, a drivers ed instructor at my high school was considered legally blind (I guess blind without glasses, I wasn't in his class so I never asked). I'm talking about people who see nothing.

I realize that anyone can miss a target, god knows I have, but if you see your target you're less likely to miss it.
what about my point where a blind person is being physically attacked. And is able to bring a pocket pistol into play. If you're able to get your hands on an attacker, and put the gun right to his stomach or chest then they wouldn't need to see to know what they're hitting. I would never suggest a blind man shot across the room at an anyone or anything. But it's all circumstantial.
jimogden1984 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #212
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post

what about my point where a blind person is being physically attacked. And is able to bring a pocket pistol into play. If you're able to get your hands on an attacker, and put the gun right to his stomach or chest then they wouldn't need to see to know what they're hitting. I would never suggest a blind man shot across the room at an anyone or anything. But it's all circumstantial.
Maybe a stun gun would be a better option in that situation. What would stop the bad guy from taking the gun from the blind man and shooting him with it? If the attacker is that close then a stun gun or tazer would be a better option and much safer for anyone else in the room or near vicinity.

Again, I'm not suggesting blind people don't have the right to defend themselves, I just think a firearm isn't the best option due to the simple fact they can't see where the bullet will go.
__________________
Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 10-23-2013 at 01:10 AM.
dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #213
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 333 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post

Maybe a stun gun would be a better option in that situation. What would stop the bad guy from taking the gun from the blind man and shooting him with it? If the attacker is that close then a stun gun or tazer would be a better option and much safer for anyone else in the room or near vicinity.

Again, I'm not suggesting blind people don't have the right to defend themselves, I just think a firearm isn't the best option due to the simple fact they can't see where the bullet will go.
the way I see it and probably some others here as well, nobody has the right to tell a blind man he can't have a gun until his owning a gun infringes on the rights of others. If he has the mental stability to keep a cool head, and not start shooting anytime there's trouble then he has just as much right to absolutely everything as you and I do.
jimogden1984 is offline  
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post

the way I see it and probably some others here as well, nobody has the right to tell a blind man he can't have a gun until his owning a gun infringes on the rights of others. If he has the mental stability to keep a cool head, and not start shooting anytime there's trouble then he has just as much right to absolutely everything as you and I do.
And I never said a blind man shouldn't own a gun, I just don't want to be around when he's shooting it.
__________________
Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380
dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #215
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
And I never said a blind man shouldn't own a gun, I just don't want to be around when he's shooting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Isnt proper sight picture a huge part of shooting? How can proper sight picture be attained if the shooter can't see the sights?
So a blind person can have a gun but not shoot it? :rollseyes:
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #216
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 333 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

So a blind person can have a gun but not shoot it? :rollseyes:
JW, how many of those blind people you spoke of has shot somebody?
jimogden1984 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #217
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984
JW, how many of those blind people you spoke of has shot somebody?
To the best of my knowledge, none have ever shot anyone. Just like I've never shot anyone.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #218
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 333 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

To the best of my knowledge, none have every shot anyone. Just like I've never shot anyone.
didn't think so
jimogden1984 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

So a blind person can have a gun but not shoot it? :rollseyes:
Did I say that? I said I don't want to be around when he does, just like I don't want to be anywhere near a blind man driving a car. Whys that so dufficult to comprehend?
__________________
Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380
dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #220
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Did I say that? I said I don't want to be around when he does, just like I don't want to be anywhere near a blind man driving a car. Whys that so dufficult to comprehend?
Its not difficult to understand. So now my next question is: do you think the government should deny someone their 2A rights based on their vision?

Or do you simply never want to be around a blind person who has a gun? (Which, if they're CCing, you would never know until they have to use it.)
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting Glasses-Blind as a Bat! ALS11 General Handgun Discussion 5 11-24-2011 10:01 PM
Blind in one eye taihawk Optics & Mounts 5 06-21-2011 12:54 PM
Ground Blind Hunting? fxstchewy Hunting Forum 19 10-20-2009 03:24 AM



Newest Threads