CCW Permit for the blind? - Page 21
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Permit for the blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #201
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I see no problem with the blind owning and caring guns. There's no reason they shouldn't have the right to defend themselves. obviously is not a good idea to shoot across the room when you can't see but if you're bringing physically attacked then it wouldn't be hard to put it to someone's chest or stomach and pull the trigger. If they want to go out in a field somewhere and shoot anything they want then they should be able to. Some of you know I had a recent eye injury that left me blind for 5 days. I chose not to carry during that time. However, if I had a pocket pistol...a belly gun, I very well might have. I just felt that having a full size on my waste when I can't see and had almost no situational awareness wasn't worth the risk. I was also used to being able to see. Someone who lived their life blind would be much better suited.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #202
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
You're right. But it isn't the government's job to recognize those limits for the individual.
I think that someone government or other has to put in place some laws regarding eyesight when driving for example. Is there an eyesight test regards driving in America ?. To rely on someone to recognize their limits makes no sense that's like relying on someone knowing their limit of alcohol before driving or their limit on what speed they are doing.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #203

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I think that someone government or other has to put in place some laws regarding eyesight when driving for example. Is there an eyesight test regards driving in America ?. To rely on someone to recognize their limits makes no sense that's like relying on someone knowing their limit of alcohol before driving or their limit on what speed they are doing.
Yes, there are standards so to speak. If glasses are required for the individual to see then they are required to be worn while driving. You can lose your license for losing your vision and lets be honest here, that should be a no brainer. I surely don't want to be mowed down by someone who shouldnt be behind the wheel because they can't see. Now I'm not saying that blind individuals don't have the right to self defense but I think a gun isn't the answer. God forbid the guy misses and hits a child or another innocent person, then you've got dead or injuried people who had nothing to do with the incident and/or wrongful death lawsuits.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #204
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

In South Carolina, you have to pass a background check, have at least 20/40 vision, and take an 8-hour class with lectures, written tests, and a session on the range where you have to draw and fire a total of 50 shots using double taps at a target the size of an "average" man's chest at different distances to qualify for a "CWP". So if a blind man can meet those requirements, he can have a CWP.

But to own a gun, you just have to pass the usual background check.
So at least a blind person can own a gun in SC, so if the blind person can familiarize him/herself with their house, and is confident that they can detect an uninvited intruder by sound, I see no problem with a blind person using a gun for home defense.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #205
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
In South Carolina, you have to pass a background check, have at least 20/40 vision, and take an 8-hour class with lectures, written tests, and a session on the range where you have to draw and fire a total of 50 shots using double taps at a target the size of an "average" man's chest to qualify for a "CWP". So if a blind man can meet those requirements, he can have a CWP.

But to own a gun, you just have to pass the usual background check.
So at least a blind person can own a gun in SC, so if the blind person can familiarize him/herself with their house, and is confident that they can detect an uninvited intruder by sound, I see no problem with a blind person using a gun for home defense.
You almost make it sound like getting the license isn't a piece of cake. Lol
You Didn't make it clear that open carry doesn't require a license.
(Why does my phone keep capitalizing random words?)

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #206
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
You almost make it sound like getting the license isn't a piece of cake. Lol
You Didn't make it clear that open carry doesn't require a license.
(Why does my phone keep capitalizing random words?)
So far as I know, open carry is illegal in South Carolina.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #207
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post

So far as I know, open carry is illegal in South Carolina.
Oops. Thought it was North. Explains why the shooting sounded a bit off.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #208
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

This thread has become circular once again. The same arguments are being said by both sides. Someone says he doesn't want to get shot by a stray miss from a blind person, I retort that any person has the propensity to miss and a miss from a blind shooter is no worse than a miss from someone with full vision.

Anyway, on and on it goes. This thread is getting to be a headache. It started out as a good discussion, and like many other threads, has devolved into stubborn people not giving in to what others are saying, and people just keep posting their comments over and over again.

So, I for one am going to stop responding in this thread, unless a new argument comes up for why blind people shouldn't be allowed an inalienable right that the rest of us have. If such an argument comes up I will respond to it. If anyone is curious how I would respond to your same old argument, please go back and re-read the whole thread and see what I have to say. I'm confident I've covered them all.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #209

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Not to.....

forumrunner_20131005_115341.jpg

But,, driving is a privilege, bearing arms is a right. Arguing along those lines is like saying blind people cannot vote, because they cannot see the candidate or the ballot

Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #210

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc View Post
Not to.....

But,, driving is a privilege, bearing arms is a right. Arguing along those lines is like saying blind people cannot vote, because they cannot see the candidate or the ballot
True but a ballot doesn't leave the barrel of a gun at 900+ fps or scream down the highway at 60 mph, sorry but I truly believe that shooting and driving BOTH REQUIRE the ability to see. I ask anyone who would diasagree would you feel safe at the range if the guy next to you was squeezing off rounds with his eyes closed or if the guy in the big rig next to you in traffic had his eyes closed while driving? I honestly can't believe this is even being debated here. Isnt proper sight picture a huge part of shooting? How can proper sight picture be attained if the shooter can't see the sights? I mean no disrespect to anyone here who is blind or has a blind loved one but this is just common sense. And you cant make me believe that a passenger relaying directions to a blind driver can react as quick and precisely as a driver with good vision. By the time the driver got his verbal directions from the passenger it would be too late. Id be afraid to find out what the ticket would be for that.

Btw, I'm not talking about people who can see but are considered blind, a drivers ed instructor at my high school was considered legally blind (I guess blind without glasses, I wasn't in his class so I never asked). I'm talking about people who see nothing.

I realize that anyone can miss a target, god knows I have, but if you see your target you're less likely to miss it.

Btw, this is only the second time I've replied to the thread and I'm not gonna change my feelings just cause the dead horse has been beat.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 10-23-2013 at 01:01 AM.