CCW Permit for the blind? - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CCW Permit for the blind?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #91
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 10,521
Liked 9495 Times on 5125 Posts
Likes Given: 19688

Default

To own and bear arms is a right. Restrictions on how, when, where, and in what manner those arms are born are infringements.
__________________
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
MisterMcCool is offline  
Mason609 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,063
Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Default

Quote:
And I am sure with attending a course of instruction most could perform better than most could imagine. So yes I believe they should have the right with the proper training and proficiency to get a CCW. I doubt very much that they would be shooting at any distance probably over 5-7 yards. And the bottom line if a person was standing within that distance and was threatening serious bodily injury or possible death.
A sighted person can see and access the threat. He can see if civilians are near the target and decide what action to take shoot or not to shoot. A blind person cannot.
manta is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
I certainly believe that the Second Amendment is for all good citizens. And would propose that should a blind person be issued a CCW that there be some kind of a course they could attend to qualify for one. As stated Blind people have senses that we only wish we had. They smell, hear and can pinpoint a voice or a noise to a fine degree and exact direction. Including sensing how close people are to them when confronted. Their hearing is most always fantastic. And I honestly think they could be trained to defend themselves. Those of us who have shot for years also know what muscle memory is. As was in the video with Jerry Mikulec here on this thread. And I am sure with attending a course of instruction most could perform better than most could imagine. So yes I believe they should have the right with the proper training and proficiency to get a CCW. I doubt very much that they would be shooting at any distance probably over 5-7 yards. And the bottom line if a person was standing within that distance and was threatening serious bodily injury or possible death. I doubt that those who had been proficient trained and matched the criteria would have much trouble hitting a target at short distance due to their ultra sensitivity and training. I still do not tell how they can even feel those little Braille Dots and determine what it says or better yet where they are???????? I have felt them in an elevator just to see and oh my! Of course if they could gain the skills mentioned above it would probably be a common sense thing not to have a CCW. I do not think it would be hard to train those with the necessary ability.
And I feel that they would be more reluctant to use the weapon due to their condition!
03
Like I said, and you say, if they can pass the test then they've earned the CCP like any other person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
To own and bear arms is a right. Restrictions on how, when, where, and in what manner those arms are born are infringements.
Let me guess, you CC with no permit and carry whenever and wherever you want with no regard for laws or property owners? :criminal: :thug:
__________________
Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Dude, no ones saying they shouldn't own or carry.. What's being debated is CC...
So you're saying they should be allowed to open carry?

I'm in favor of OC, if that's what someone wants to do. However, the typical argument against it is that it makes the person a target. You don't think it would be fairly easy for a BG to sneak up behind a blind person and take their gun if they are open carrying?
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Like I said, and you say, if they can pass the test then they've earned the CCP like any other person
I never said at any point that they shouldn't be held to the same standards as other people.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #96
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

So you're saying they should be allowed to open carry?

I'm in favor of OC, if that's what someone wants to do. However, the typical argument against it is that it makes the person a target. You don't think it would be fairly easy for a BG to sneak up behind a blind person and take their gun if they are open carrying?
If OC is permitted in their state without permit/qualification.

Open carry, and my views are the opposite of others, I believe it's a deterrent. I've NEVER had an issue from a LEO or any other person in over 10 years of OC
__________________
Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #97
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 10,521
Liked 9495 Times on 5125 Posts
Likes Given: 19688

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Let me guess, you CC with no permit and carry whenever and wherever you want with no regard for laws or property owners? :criminal: :thug:

"One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law." --Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
image-1615771371.jpg  
__________________
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #98
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 10,521
Liked 9495 Times on 5125 Posts
Likes Given: 19688

Default

I live in a shall issue state. It requires no training or testing for concealed carry. Open carry is unrestricted. Signs prohibiting guns are not legally acceptable notification. The owner or an agent acting on the owner's behalf must personally request the carrier to leave. I do have a permit, so
__________________
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

If OC is permitted in their state without permit/qualification.

Open carry, and my views are the opposite of others, I believe it's a deterrent. I've NEVER had an issue from a LEO or any other person in over 10 years of OC
I don't have a problem at all with OC. I've thought about doing it sometimes when I move to a state that allows it.

However, this thread wasn't intended to be an OC vs CC discussion for blind people. I guess I should have specified - when I was saying CCW I meant the right to carry, in general. CC is the most commonly accepted method of bearing arms today, and Iowa allowing blind people to get their CCW permit is what sparked the thread.

The discussion was, in my mind, more about blind people having and exercising the right to carry a firearm, period.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

I don't have a problem at all with OC. I've thought about doing it sometimes when I move to a state that allows it.

However, this thread wasn't intended to be an OC vs CC discussion for blind people. I guess I should have specified - when I was saying CCW I meant the right to carry, in general. CC is the most commonly accepted method of bearing arms today, and Iowa allowing blind people to get their CCW permit is what sparked the thread.

The discussion was, in my mind, more about blind people having and exercising the right to carry a firearm, period.
I don't care who carries, so long as they meet the requirements set forth by the state they live, just like I have to.
__________________
Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting Glasses-Blind as a Bat! ALS11 General Handgun Discussion 5 11-24-2011 10:01 PM
Blind in one eye taihawk Optics & Mounts 5 06-21-2011 12:54 PM
Ground Blind Hunting? fxstchewy Hunting Forum 19 10-20-2009 03:24 AM



Newest Threads