CCW Permit for the blind?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Permit for the blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default CCW Permit for the blind?

My wife is a member of a facebook page for local military spouses. For some reason, this topic came up in conversation.

Apparently in Iowa, there are a number of blind (I don't know if they're legally blind or full-out blind) who have been issued CCW permits, on the grounds of not being discriminatory.

What are your thoughts on this? A lot of people think they shouldn't have a permit because they can't see where they're aiming. I can see this, however here's my opinion:

A lot of thugs and criminals prey on the supposed weak. It is fairly obvious when someone is blind. If they're really bad off, they will have a white cane or a guide dog. I feel like blind people, possibly more so than those who have full vision, should be allowed to have CCW permits.

If a thug or criminal is attacking a blind person, it will probably be at fist-range. Therefore, the victim wouldn't have to see where he is aiming. Pulls the gun, and shoot in the direction the noise or blows or knife stabs are coming from.

And I believe a blind person can easily train to where everything involved with firearm self-defense (unholstering, firing, reloading, reholstering) is muscle memory. I mean, when I got my CCW permit in NC, I only had to shoot at 3, 5, and 7 yards. I felt like I could have reached out and touched the target. It would have been easy enough to just close my eyes, extend my arms fully (with the firearm) to where I know the gun is right in front of my face, and shoot enough to get body hits and hopefully end the threat. Obviously without vision, a person won't be able to produce tight groups, but I believe in a self-defense situation they can achieve combat accuracy as long as they spend time working on it.

What are your guys thoughts?

Always have clean socks.

MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If their attacker is in fist range, why does a blind defender need to be able to reach out hundreds of feet with a gun? Wouldn't a knife or even a small sword do just as much damage to an attacker and not put the public at risk? I could see giving them immunity to local knife knife laws to allow them to carry a dagger, switchblade, or even a small sword.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

edit* I thought somebody beat you to this one, but I can't find it.

"all men being created equal..."

I really think a taser would be their best bet: limited range limits mistaken zappees and the stun function would work well up close (maybe a cane connection?).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-09-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7473 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 15525

The government should not decide who among us is healthy enough to exercise a constitutional right.
If an attacker knocked a victim to the ground, jumped on his body, and began pounding his skull into the ground, the victim would not need to see the attacker in order to defend himself.
Would you not defend yourself if you were pepper sprayed, had blood in your eyes, or could not see through your own tears?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #5

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

CCW permits for the blind?

Between Glocks, Ford Patrol units, and

Dunkin' Donuts, don't you feel LE has

enough problems as it is, without

burdening them with CCW permits?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9172 Times on 3960 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Try giving the little old blind lady a sword, and let me know how that works out.

A blind person can still use a two handed shooting stance-
One hand holds pistol
Other hand holds onto the person beating the crap out of them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth
If their attacker is in fist range, why does a blind defender need to be able to reach out hundreds of feet with a gun? Wouldn't a knife or even a small sword do just as much damage to an attacker and not put the public at risk? I could see giving them immunity to local knife knife laws to allow them to carry a dagger, switchblade, or even a small sword.
See, here's the thing, statistically most defense situations happen within maybe 5 yards away. That's ridiculously close. Every single person who carries a gun is responsible for those stray shots. Should firearms not be allowed for all of us since we could probably be fine with a knife? And as MisterMcCool said, won't you defend yourself if the BG sprays pepper spray in your eyes, or does something else that limits your vision? At least a blind person would be used to shooting without vision. They would (ideally) have the muscle memory down. If your vision is hindered in the middle of the fight, you're probably still going to shoot your firearm. The difference is you haven't necessarily done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
edit* I thought somebody beat you to this one, but I can't find it.

"all men being created equal..."

I really think a taser would be their best bet: limited range limits mistaken zappees and the stun function would work well up close (maybe a cane connection?).
Ok but does that mean their second amendment right is denied to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
CCW permits for the blind?

Between Glocks, Ford Patrol units, and

Dunkin' Donuts, don't you feel LE has

enough problems as it is, without

burdening them with CCW permits?
I, myself, am by your response.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7473 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 15525

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

I, myself, am by your response.
It was a reference to police turning a blind eye.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
It was a reference to police turning a blind eye.
Lol. That's pretty funny. I get it now. Sorry, I'm a little slow on the up-take.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The sheriff who brought this up has a totally blind daughter. She will file for her Iowa CCW next week. The sheriff has offered to provide a training service for the handicapped wanting a CCW. He stated he is more concerned about armed criminals more than disabled citizens.
I might add most assaults occur at night. The blind person will have an advantage over a sighted felon in the dark.