ccw or in the open - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > ccw or in the open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1359 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Concealed or open? Depends on why you carry to begin with. For personal protection, concealed is the better option. The advantage of surprise in a tactical situation is not to be underestimated.

If you carry for political or emotional issues, open may suit you better. It is either "Hey, look at me, I am taking full advantage of my 2nd rights" or "Hey, look at me, I have a gun!"

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

I think open carry folks at some level just like rubbing the antigunner's noses in the 2a. Sorta like the "artists" who do vile art to rub the 1a in people's noses.

Im of the camp that believes why give up a tactical advantage when you dont have to. Surprise helps win 90% of armed encounters. Its why so many untrained ccw folks win encounters with criminals.

I fully support your right to open carry im all for you being there in a public place with the hogleg on your hip. After the goblin is done with you there are fewer bullets in his gun to shoot at me and i have time to get to cover and draw my gun while he is dealing with you...

Its the same thought as i dont have to run faster than the bear just faster than the slowest guy in the group.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #23

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 28

As CC gains momentum it will be a crap shoot for BG's as they don't know who is going to pull a weapon and blow them away. This is what makes CC so valuable, even the folks that don't choose to carry are protected by the fact that no one knows if they are, or if they aren't. That is the beauty of CC over OC.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1873 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktarr1015 View Post
Im just trying to find out some info. I have a ccw and i carry in the open as well as concealed, depending on what i feel like that day. A ccw permit is good for either in the open or concealed in the state of ga correct?
From a safety/tactical point of view carrying in the open out in the public is just plan ridiculous, unless you are a uniformed cop or security officer!!!
The element of surprise is the MOST important part of surviving an 'ambush', which is what an attack by a criminal is. I carry in the open while hiking, fishing, hunting, horseback riding, or working on the farm, but NEVER in public.
Why give the bandits more intell than is necessary?????????
Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #25

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
From a safety/tactical point of view carrying in the open out in the public is just plan ridiculous, unless you are a uniformed cop or security officer!!!
The element of surprise is the MOST important part of surviving an 'ambush', which is what an attack by a criminal is. I carry in the open while hiking, fishing, hunting, horseback riding, or working on the farm, but NEVER in public.
Why give the bandits more intell than is necessary?????????
New guy makes sense

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I would have to agree with the others about carrying concealed would just solve a lot of issues and bad feelings.

-Carl-

"Music hath charm to soothe the savage beast...but I'd try a shotgun first."

Old 10-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1873 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
New guy makes sense
The 'new' guy is an 'old guy' who resembles your avatar more than he would like to admit!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #28

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The element of surprise may be the ONLY thing that keeps you safe in a SD situation. As others have said, open carrying puts a big target on your back. Even in movies, who do bank robbers take out first? Yep, the security guard with a gun.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 846 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
The element of surprise may be the ONLY thing that keeps you safe in a SD situation. As others have said, open carrying puts a big target on your back. Even in movies, who do bank robbers take out first? Yep, the security guard with a gun.
and when a casual criminal see's an open carrier in their sight... what do they do but go to a less well defended location.

The open carry sites are filled with successes.

Show me one, just one OC that was taken out for OC.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #30

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
and
Quote:
when a casual criminal see's an open carrier in their sight... what do they do but go to a less well defended location.
The open carry sites are filled with successes.

Show me one, just one OC that was taken out for OC.
Show me one, just one case you know this to be a proven fact--not hearsay or "stories" on some forum--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Polygon Likes This