ccw or in the open - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > ccw or in the open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
From a previous post on this subject:

In a hypothetical situation where you are open carrying and I'm the bad guy; I'd shoot you first. - cane
+1
You lose your tactical advantage in the same hypothetical situation.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #12

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I don't know about GA laws. However, I got a CWP to carry a gun concealed. I don't care for open carry in public places for a few reasons.

1. You'll upset the sheeple. They don't know why you've got a gun strapped to your side. It makes them uneasy, and it makes them call the police. Be prepared to deal with an unnecessary hassle.

2. You're going to be challenged by LEOs if they see you. Another hassle you don't need.

3. Most importantly... I carry to protect myself. I feel I have a better chance having the element of surprise. Carrying in the open makes you a target. In a situation you'll be the first person to be shot. Or they will make sure to take you down and relieve you of your gun. It can also make brazen criminals decide to attack you just to get a free gun.

All around it's asking for trouble. But hey, I know a lot of people do it to assert their 2A rights. If you're fine with those potential problems, then go ahead. Just don't go out there looking for a confrontation with a LEO to try and prove a point. I've seen You Tube videos of people like that. It's pretty immature and gives the rest of us a bad name.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #13

Very good points. I have to admit, i have carried in the open just bc i was "flexin" my 2nd A rights. Majority of the time now its cc. On occasion i carry in the open bc i didnt wanna fight w/the holster. Im tryin to find a comfortable cc holster for my glock 27 and soon i hope to get the xds 45.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #14

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
In a hypothetical situation where you are open carrying and I'm the bad guy; I'd shoot you first. - cane
and my guns are shy, so I have to keep them covered.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #15

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Handguns are like viaginas ----best covered till put into use

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #16

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In Mississippi (where I'm originally from) every public library that gets even a single penny of government funding, also gets a complete law library. The updates come out every year in paperback, and every ten years they get a complete new law library in hardback.

Get thee to a local library and check. If they have the code books (Mississippi libraries keep them for state, county, and city), then you can look it up yourself with your own two eyeballs. Make copies of the relevant information.

Then hope you don't come across a criminal with Canebrake's idea while your open carrying. FWIW, I OC myself. Because it's not only legal in Louisiana, but it's also pretty common knowledge, and I haven't found myself in a position yet to be able to pay for the privilege of exercising my infringed rights.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #17

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1 - fully agree with Cane

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

canebrake Likes This 
Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #18

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsights View Post
+1
You lose your tactical advantage in the same hypothetical situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
+1 - fully agree with Cane

I never found the need to open carry where the "other guy" was intelligent enough to recognize my false sense of power or my lack of manliness. (What'd he say? )

Translation: I open carry while hunting.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #19

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktarr1015
Im just trying to find out some info. I have a ccw and i carry in the open as well as concealed, depending on what i feel like that day. A ccw permit is good for either in the open or concealed in the state of ga correct?
If you have a carry permit in GA, you are free to open carry or conceal. I open carry only when walking from my car to the range. Not even the cops give a hoot about that. But all open carry means to me is that if I happen to print when CCW, I ain't gonna get in trouble like one of those sissy states. I agree completely that open carry in the general public is drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and places you at a strategic disadvantage. The end.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim325
If you carry concealed it would make life easier.carrying open draws to much attention in most places
Totally agree. Low profile..low profile..