CCW, Ohio, art festivals? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW, Ohio, art festivals?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
C'Mon, Grog. You have to know that my gun will reach further than your kick. I might be able to SMELL your feet but my 230 Grain bullets have ALL the advantages.
Time to get real....
Not against my Ninja like stealthy moves...I can catch anything slower than 1300 ft/s

I am not suggesting that Taekwondo is better protection than a gun. What I am saying is that in a crowded park, with hundreds of people, I might hit an innocent bystander. With Taekwondo I would have no chance against a gun.....BUT, if they were unarmed and threatening I feel comfortable in my abilities not to HAVE to use a gun. Hopefully all it takes is a fast, hard punch in the nose. If it takes more...OK, I can do that too. Dont get the wrong idea...I have never gotten into a fight in my life. Its just nice to have options and a gun is not always the answer.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #12

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf84 View Post
Ya id be a little hesitant to use my firearm in the middle of a crowd too. another less lethal option might be best
Ya'll don't really grasp the concept of a sarcastic remark do you

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #13

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You've never been in a fight in your life yet you feel confident you can beat up an assailant? Karate in a class is hella different than a unpredictable attacker. You better carry, just practice so you won't miss,, lol

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
You've never been in a fight in your life yet you feel confident you can beat up an assailant?
Quote:
Karate in a class is hella different than a unpredictable attacker.
You better carry, just practice so you won't miss,, lol
Well, I agree with that part ---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Well, I agree with that part ---
I knew it would come to this. I have sparred with people. I have trained to hit you, in the right place, with enough force to either slow you down significantly or completely immobilize you. I feel confident in my abilites to either slow you way down or completely stop you depending on the situation. I am proud of not having been in a fight. Do not mistake my not fighting with my ability to do so. Is a fight a dynamic unpredictable situation? Yes, but would you rather fight a guy that has been in a few fights or the guy trained in martial arts?

Its like saying....I have trained to shoot my gun but have never shot anyone....so i must suck at shooting people.

Maybe I should go pick a fight just to prove I can beat someones butt.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #16

Maybe you should, then you'd realize that ninja punch that you laid on a heavy bag in the gym may not be the immobilizer you imagine it to be.
Look I'm not bagging on you just saying real fights never go the way you imagine they would, just fights can go sideways on you real quick. I applaud you for not having to fight, but karate will not trump a loaded gun. When your life is on the line( which is the only time deadly force should be employed), I'm just saying I wouldn't want to rely on my attacker to come at me the way I trained for, because they won't.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Maybe you should, then you'd realize that ninja punch that you laid on a heavy bag in the gym may not be the immobilizer you imagine it to be.
Look I'm not bagging on you just saying real fights never go the way you imagine they would, just fights can go sideways on you real quick. I applaud you for not having to fight, but karate will not trump a loaded gun. When your life is on the line( which is the only time deadly force should be employed), I'm just saying I wouldn't want to rely on my attacker to come at me the way I trained for, because they won't.
Just to be clear. We do train in sparring conditions. we hit and get hit with powerful blows, while wearing padding, and let me tell you. They can easily knock you out or have the wind knocked out of you. We have to be careful not to hurt each other(and we still do). We train to be fluid and unpredictable. Does it mean I can beat anyones butt? Nope! There is a good chance I could get hurt but there is a better chance with the training than without.

It is just like training with your gun (or any weapon). The idea is not to have to think about it but react...instinctively. I hope I will never need to use either but I feel confident that years of training will be good enough.

Is a gun better? Yes! Thats why I have them.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog

Just to be clear. We do train in sparring conditions. we hit and get hit with powerful blows, while wearing padding, and let me tell you. They can easily knock you out or have the wind knocked out of you. We have to be careful not to hurt each other(and we still do). We train to be fluid and unpredictable. Does it mean I can beat anyones butt? Nope! There is a good chance I could get hurt but there is a better chance with the training than without.

It is just like training with your gun (or any weapon). The idea is not to have to think about it but react...instinctively. I hope I will never need to use either but I feel confident that years of training will be good enough.

Is a gun better? Yes! Thats why I have them.
I agree with you that training is definitely better than no training, but still think there's no substitute for getting smashed in the mouth or eye with bare knuckles, or your eye gouged, or your nuts twisted. real fights do not stop when your dance partner sees your hurt, or had the wind out of you.
Again I agree that training is better than none, just kinda suprises me that one can get through life full of azzholes without ever fighting, maybe growing up in rough areas has my view slanted on this.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
I knew it would come to this. I have sparred with people. I have trained to hit you, in the right place, with enough force to either slow you down significantly or completely immobilize you. I feel confident in my abilites to either slow you way down or completely stop you depending on the situation. I am proud of not having been in a fight. Do not mistake my not fighting with my ability to do so. Is a fight a dynamic unpredictable situation? Yes, but would you rather fight a guy that has been in a few fights or the guy trained in martial arts?

Its like saying....I have trained to shoot my gun but have never shot anyone....so i must suck at shooting people.

Maybe I should go pick a fight just to prove I can beat someones butt.
That whole statement is just--------
Well - immature-
Pick a fight & you're likely to get those kung foo balls blown off-----------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
That whole statement is just--------
Well - immature-
Pick a fight & you're likely to get those kung foo balls blown off-----------
See...thats my point exactly. I dont pick fights. If backed into a corner and forced to fight with no where to run...well...it hasnt happened yet. If thats immature..so be it.