Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW in NY easy to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default CCW in NY easy to get?

Well, i am currently 20 years old, have to be 21, but like to be prepared to go do paperwork on my birthday, I work as an electrician that goes to many residences to do work, and i work everywhere. Some of these places I would feel a LOT safer had a had a gun on me. Be it for the dogs or the crazies. I also live on a farm and having a pistol on me at all times would help protect our alpacas from the many coyotes we have around here.

In NY does this constitute the ability to own and carry a pistol... I have heard many different people say that NY is VERY hard to get a ccw permit.

I have never been arrested, have mental illness, or anything like that, i am a safe, healthy individual..

Last edited by shnorse; 03-21-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Are you in NYC? I've heard that areas outside of NYC aren't to bad but NYC is impossible...

Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Nope, I live a half hour out of syracuse out in the country. No where near the city

Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

If you are in Onondaga County, getting a permit isn't hard, but you will not get an unrestricted permit easily. You can get sportsman permit, allowing you to carry for hunting, hiking, target shooting etc. It does take a while for the process. Figure at least three or four months start to finish, if not more.

You have to show cause to be able to carry at all times. Its possible, just harder to do. I suggest getting your "sportsman" permit, taking all the classes you can and then going back to try to get your unrestricted permt.

Rochester Personal Defense has some great classes, including a permit upgrade class. I do not know if that would work in Onondaga county though.
Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York

Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

in cortland county it pretty easy to get a permit with "no restrictions" as long as you don't have a criminal history and you don't raise any red flags during your interview. The only down side is it is taking 8 or 9 months for the whole process.