CCW for my girlfriend

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW for my girlfriend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW for my girlfriend

Thinking about a Ruger LCR, she wants safety and I want her to have firepower...suggestions, comments, etc.?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Well... you won't find a safety on any revolvers. For pocket pistols with safeties check out the S&W Bodyguard 380 and the Sig 238.

Personally, I think the only pocket pistol I've picked up that required a safety would be the Sig with its SAO trigger. Most small CCW pistols are designed with long DAO triggers and don't really need safeties.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #3

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown5724 View Post
Thinking about a Ruger LCR, she wants safety and I want her to have firepower...suggestions, comments, etc.?
Does she want a gun with a safety or a safe gun or the confidence of having a way to protect herself? When looking for a gun for my wife and daughter, what I wanted them to carry and what they ended up carrying were two different worlds. If she is an experienced shooter or a novice will make a big difference. Let her pick several to look at and try, as she can get turned off by too much gun too early.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Let her pick her own gun , let her shoot them if possible. she may not like the recoil of a .357 or .38 . Dont rule out a semi auto either unless she is just dead set on a revolver. My wife loves the LC9 , 9mm , small , light , 7+1 rd capacity , recoil isnt bad and its super easy to conceal , very accurate for a short barrel gun . It does have a safety but does not really need to be engages due to it being a double action pistol . Kahr also makes a PM9 which is a very small 9mm and comparable to the LC9 in size with a little better trigger but at a higher cost

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Walter 380, good woman's gun

Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #6

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Whenever some people think "what handgun for a woman",they think small gun and small caliber. Its not always the case. My wife has already made up her mind and whenever our taxes get done,we are getting her a commander size 1911 .45. She shot my fullsize 1911 and fell in love with it. All women dont want little guns. I would let her handle and shoot as many as she can, and let her decide.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 01-25-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
Whenever some people think "what handgun for a woman",they think small gun and small caliber. Its not always the case. My wife has already made up her mind and whenever our taxes get done,we are getting her a commander size 1911 .45. She shot my fullsize 1911 and fell in love with it. All women dont want little guns. I would let her handle and shoot as many as she can.
That's a good point. A good example is a PPK....small gun, small caliber, yet some women (especially beginners) seem to have trouble working the slide.

All things need to be considered, not just size and caliber.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
That's a good point. A good example is a PPK....small gun, small caliber, yet some women (especially beginners) seem to have trouble working the slide.

Very true , and after handling the Ruger SR9C my wife really likes the feel of that and the taurus judge in 2.5" barrel . just fits her hands better but neither will conceal as easy as the LC9 she can toss that in her small purse and nobody knows its even there

Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

Great point about the slide. My wife is pretty small. She loves shooting my XD subcompact but she has a very difficult time with the slide.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #10

My wife was looking for a gun and her father pointed to a 380. I prefer her to carry at minimum the same caliber our police carry. She tried a variety of guns in different calibers and sizes and ultimately made up her mind. For Xmas I bought her a carry weapon of choice; Glock 19 (9mm). She decided on that gun because she can handle, carry, and definitely send the ammo flying down range. For her upcoming birthday, she wants the Glock colored in pink camo! Eek. She loves shooting my double stack 1911 45 cal but it's too bulky for her to carry everyday. IMHO I say find a place that rents guns and have her decide what she likes. My friend did the opposite and his wife absolutely hated it. I just saw a handgun school that for a chunk of change will allow u to shoot like 20 guns; both revolvers and pistols.