Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Law clarification (Colorado)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
dct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Default CCW Law clarification (Colorado)

As a relatively new CCW holder in Colorado, I have a question I'm hoping some members might be able to help with.

The Colorado law (and most states from what I understand) prohibit carrying in a bar or restaurant that derives greater than 50% of it's revenue from the sale of alcohol. OK, so the liquor store is out (I think .. though technically it's not a bar or restaurant), but how does one determine the legality for a given restaurant?

Thus far, if in any doubt .. I stash my gun in the car, but it's not always convenient and frankly dark parking lots around restaurants etc ... are a place I feel more comfortable carrying! So I'd prefer to not be overly paranoid and jeoporize my security or that of my family when I don't need to. Short if asking everywhere I go, which seems less than ideal .. any pointers / guidelines?

Thanks!

__________________
dct is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
As a relatively new CCW holder in Colorado, I have a question I'm hoping some members might be able to help with.
The Colorado law (and most states from what I understand) prohibit carrying in a bar or restaurant that derives greater than 50% of it's revenue from the sale of alcohol. OK, so the liquor store is out (I think .. though technically it's not a bar or restaurant), but how does one determine the legality for a given restaurant?

First I can only speak for my state, the Gunshine State, but I think FL is similar to CO because of the % rule. Use you head, if its a bar stay out and if your intention is to go to the bar and get your load on you should not be carrying in the first place. If its a restaurant that serves liquor and has a bar area, stay out of the bar. Don't even walk through it on the way to the can. Here we can sit in the restaurant section and eat, even order drinks.
With joints you have been to you can tell if they are a 'bar selling food' or a 'restaurant selling liquor'. New places I walk into, make a judgment and go from there. When I leave home I know where I'm headed and carry appropriately.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
Thus far, if in any doubt .. I stash my gun in the car, but it's not always convenient and frankly dark parking lots around restaurants etc ... are a place I feel more comfortable carrying! So I'd prefer to not be overly paranoid and jeopardize my security or that of my family when I don't need to. Short if asking everywhere I go, which seems less than ideal .. any pointers / guidelines?
I never leave my gun in the car! NEVER!
If you do let me know where you park.
And I'm a good guy!

cane

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
dct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks for the reply Cane.

My personal rule is I don't drink alcohol at all if carrying .. simply not worth the risks involved should the need to use my gun become necessary (be they legal, responsibility, response time etc ...). I don't personally see a realistic way to avoid having to leave my gun in the car on a regular basis. My workplace doesn't allow me to carry, I regularly attend sporting events where it's illegal to carry, go to the gym etc ... I do have a safe mounted in my truck, so you're gonna have to do some degree of work to make off with it! :-)

The real PITA for me are weekends out and about with the family ... who knows where we might end up going next. There also the gotcha that the laws for the City & County of Denver are more restrictive and the county boundaries are not terribly obvious in some circumstances. Near my home, I'm good to go most places ... but where the Home Depot sits .. Denver and we're talking 10 miles from downtown proper! Oh well .. still better to have the option of course!

D

__________________
dct is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
Thanks for the reply Cane. My personal rule is I don't drink alcohol at all if carrying .. simply not worth the risks involved should the need to use my gun become necessary (be they legal, responsibility, response time etc ...). I don't personally see a realistic way to avoid having to leave my gun in the car on a regular basis. My workplace doesn't allow me to carry, I regularly attend sporting events where it's illegal to carry, go to the gym etc ... I do have a safe mounted in my truck, so you're gonna have to do some degree of work to make off with it! :-) The real PITA for me are weekends out and about with the family ... who knows where we might end up going next. There also the gotcha that the laws for the City & County of Denver are more restrictive and the county boundaries are not terribly obvious in some circumstances. Near my home, I'm good to go most places ... but where the Home Depot sits .. Denver and we're talking 10 miles from downtown proper! Oh well .. still better to have the option of course!
I feel better knowing you have a lockable storage location inside your vehicle. I guess I won't be driving West looking for your truck,

Sounds to me like your doing that "extra care" accountability which is extracted from you as a CCW licensed civilian.

As you settle into the carry routine and put some time in the bank of CCW experience you will notice that no one expects, or cares that you are armed.

When this becomes second nature, you have become invisible to everyone sans, a metal scanner.

The gray areas become less an issue and you enter a state that is summed up best by fellow member chopkick who says, “Like the old saying goes, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.”

Spoken to truth.

cane

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
danpg Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default Denver's law

Can I carry in downtown Denver? -- The state law that changed on May 19th, 2003 in section 18-12-201 states: "An action or rule that encumbers the permit process by placing burdens on the applicant beyond those sworn statements and specified documents detailed in this part 2 or that creates restrictions beyond those specified in this part 2 is in conflict with the intent of this part 2 and is prohibited." Further, in section 18-12-214 it is stated that: "A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2." Our contact with the Denver PD reveals that DPD recognizes this fact and has informed their officers to comply with the new state ruling.

So you should be good in Denver

__________________
border7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ak-47 Legal in colorado? ryan14 Politics, Religion and Controversy 11 07-06-2010 06:18 PM



Newest Threads