CCW....laser or no??? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW....laser or no???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cline View Post
I'm not a fan of lasers -- I think they're cool but not real practical for SD. In a CCW situation outside the home, more often than not the entire SD event will be over in a few seconds and at close range where a laser is not going to come into play. The only type of situation where you may have more time that I can think of where you may be able to sight in and aim (with or without a laser) would be where someone is shooting up a place and you are on the ground or taking cover and the BG does not see you. Just remember that a laser does not point in only one direction -- it not only shows where your firearm is pointing, it also points to you.

In a home defense low light or dark situation the laser (IMO) is the last thing you want to use. As stated above, it is bi-directional. You may not know where the BG is but he knows were you are and where you are pointing your firearm. A hand-held or mounted tactical light would be much more effective. They are very bright and can blind and disorient a person in daylight let alone in darkness.
If you get a Crimson Trace the switch is on the grip. If you grip your gun correctly the laser will come on. You relax you finger the laser will turn off. You do not leave it on like your flashlight you strobe it. One advantage to the laser is you do not have to get a sight picture. You can shoot from the hip, over your head, at your side over a barrier and much more. I hip shot my S & W 642CT from the hip and hit the paper. Todd Jarrett uses and recommend one.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #42

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

the laser is a tool... period... use it or don't... the more tools i have at my disposal the better off i am... period.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
the laser is a tool... period... use it or don't... the more tools i have at my disposal the better off i am... period.
Amen!!! Dumb bombs work, but smart bombs work much better.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #44

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles
There is also the less than lethal, deterrent aspect. Not only does it have the psychological impact of seeing the dot on you, but can also dazzle and disorient your would be attacker.
If you pull your ccw, the bullet entering his body should dazzle and disorient your attacker plenty. If by the time i have to draw, I'm trying to kill the threat,, not hypnotize him.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #45
GY6

Default Its up to your abilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccartro View Post
So I'm sold on the Ruger LC9, but don't no if I should get it with or without the laser?? Seems impractical!!
Well it depends on what you are comfortable with....and if you have a CCW holster that will fit with the laser?
Laser are great if you can: -DRAW
-TURN ON THE LASER(grip Lasers are best)
-AIM
-FIRE
before the "Threat" reaches you.
In a HOME DEFENSE situation, lasers are great, because they give you quick target acquisition, and also carries with it a COMPLETE SCARE FACTOR for intruders.

-GY6 @ www.youtube.com/GY6vids

Last edited by GY6; 03-08-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles View Post
Shoot first, ask questions later will most likely end poorly for you. It's about escalation of force.
Let me guess, you either don't live in a Castle Doctrine state, or you just never heard of it?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
It depends on the person. If you're getting a crimson trace laser that is pressure sensitive, not a bad choice. If you have to slide a switch down, not very practical. I avoid lasers all together on a self defense weapon solely on the reason I don't want to trust my life to something electronic in that manner. I trust my sights-theres no battery in them. That's what i train with, that's what i know. For the range....sure lasers are fun. Just my .02. Welcome to the forum, go introduce yourself in the introductions thread
I assume then that you do not trust your cell phone, flashlight, car and everything else you count on in your life that is electronic or uses batteries. I keep hearing this all the time and yet our military seems to trust their lives to battery operated devices on their weapons and they are in harms way a lot more than most people here. Just change your batteries twice a year or less if you do not use your laser much and you are fine.

The worst thing about getting old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

For senior citizen gun resources please visit http://www.oldgunhand.com

Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
I assume then that you do not trust your cell phone, flashlight, car and everything else you count on in your life that is electronic or uses batteries.
Are you trying to say that none of the items you listed have ever let you down? You've never experienced a dead battery in any of them? You are one lucky fella.

Quote:
I keep hearing this all the time and yet our military seems to trust their lives to battery operated devices on their weapons and they are in harms way a lot more than most people here.
If you will think about it for a minute the military is trained in proper shooting technique before they are introduced to the laser. A laser is no substitute for knowing what you are doing, but it can be a worthwhile addition once your basic skill levels are up to par.

I had a laser on one of my handguns once. I used it at the range one afternoon and never used it again. I don't have anything against them, but why spend the money for something I won't use?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #49

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:

I assume then that you do not trust your cell phone, flashlight, car and everything else you count on in your life that is electronic or uses batteries. I keep hearing this all the time and yet our military seems to trust their lives to battery operated devices on their weapons and they are in harms way a lot more than most people here. Just change your batteries twice a year or less if you do not use your laser much and you are fine.
This poor thread, was resting nicely til some curmudgeon came along....

Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #50

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have a laser on my SP101 and it is a great training tool for trigger control. .
I couldn't agree more with that. I've used the targets that are illustrated showing "too much trigger, and too little trigger" etc. and they are OK. But when you use a laser on a target, any target, you get a much better understanding what those suggestions mean.