Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW....laser or no???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I don't need a laser. If ever in CCW mode the perp is going to be within my effective shooting range when the trigger gets pulled...

Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #32

Likes Given: 1

For a ccw firearm, I don't see the point. Pun unintended.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Im lookin at the LC9, and for 50 bucks more I can have the factory mounted laserlyte on it. Im thinkin I might do it, even though I dont really think its needed. I definitely wont train with it on but I am factoring in the intimidation.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I definitely wont train with it on but I am factoring in the intimidation.
IMHO if you are pointing a gun and shining a laser at someone and
not pulling the trigger you might get yourself killed.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #35

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My answer would be both. Learn to shoot from the iron sights and become proficient and also learn the laser. Chances are in a emergency situation you are just going to point and shoot. Handguns are close range weapons and no matter how many times we practice you will be limited by the situation, timing and how you react. If the laser is there....all the better if not you will most likley be close enough to connect the shot. Outside of the military and police who are training for these situations all the time we (the avaerge Joe) are most likley not going to aim. Thats why I prefer a more full frame gun with a longer barrel.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #36

Go with both!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
IMHO if you are pointing a gun and shining a laser at someone and
not pulling the trigger you might get yourself killed.
I'm thinking of a slightly less dangerous situation. The assailant or assailants do not have firearms. Under the threat of being shot? I wouldn't even use the laser if it had to be manually turned on...Id just shoot em.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #38

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

A Crimson Trace laser is an excellent training aid. It also serves for older shooters whose eye sight is not what it used to be. And lastly, if you are out of position (say you were pushed down) you can draw and sight without bringing the gun up to your line of sight. If you ever engaged in real life combat or defensive training, the value of a laser sight becomes very clear.

Also, consider that the most dangerous time is at night and that scaring the perp is better than shooting him (legal defense is very expensive). Ask any combat vet....killing someone is not something to take lightly.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have a SW BG 380 and love the laser. Could definitely come in handy.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #40

I'm not a fan of lasers -- I think they're cool but not real practical for SD. In a CCW situation outside the home, more often than not the entire SD event will be over in a few seconds and at close range where a laser is not going to come into play. The only type of situation where you may have more time that I can think of where you may be able to sight in and aim (with or without a laser) would be where someone is shooting up a place and you are on the ground or taking cover and the BG does not see you. Just remember that a laser does not point in only one direction -- it not only shows where your firearm is pointing, it also points to you.

In a home defense low light or dark situation the laser (IMO) is the last thing you want to use. As stated above, it is bi-directional. You may not know where the BG is but he knows were you are and where you are pointing your firearm. A hand-held or mounted tactical light would be much more effective. They are very bright and can blind and disorient a person in daylight let alone in darkness.