CCW....laser or no??? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW....laser or no???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the replies! Lotta good advice on here..love the pros and the cons......honestly I guess I prolly don't need the laser as if I did get it , I would just use it for show..... for what I want the pistol for its just not worth it to me to have it........

Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccartro
Thanks for all the replies! Lotta good advice on here..love the pros and the cons......honestly I guess I prolly don't need the laser as if I did get it , I would just use it for show..... for what I want the pistol for its just not worth it to me to have it........
I have noticed that fiream decisions are as personal as they get... As long as YOU are happy with what you have, life is good. You made the right decision. Good luck with your new CCW!!!

PoBoySpecial: Ballistics Testing with a Zombie twist. Let's face it, if it can stop a Zombie, a bad guy doesn't have a chance!
http://www.youtube.com/user/poboyspecial

Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #23

There is also the less than lethal, deterrent aspect. Not only does it have the psychological impact of seeing the dot on you, but can also dazzle and disorient your would be attacker.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles View Post
There is also the less than lethal, deterrent aspect. Not only does it have the psychological impact of seeing the dot on you, but can also dazzle and disorient your would be attacker.

No offense, but before the attacker can be dazzled, you should be pulling the trigger & the round on it's way.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 759

I have a laser on my SP101 and it is a great training tool for trigger control. For actual shooting I still use the sights. Murphy's Law has not been repealed and a laser may not work however I have a situation right now where my wife is having vision problems. She is having difficulties with the sights and the laser works for her.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #26

Shoot first, ask questions later will most likely end poorly for you. It's about escalation of force.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charyoutree View Post
For defensive purposes I don't see how the laser is all that useful. If you are in a situation where the flying defecation has impacted the rotating air motivator the adrenaline levels are going to be through the roof, the heartbeat will be sky high, physiological flight/fight response will be pulling blood from extremities, and tunnel vision will be closing in. Hitting a button for the laser and the additional mental processes associated with seeing the red dot will either not happen (best case) or will make you slower (which can get you killed).

On the other side.... Lasers are a useful tool for dry-fire exercises and can be fun at the range. There is also the potential psychological impact they could potentially make on an intruder in a dark room if you catch him/her by surprise. They are also immensely useful in keeping cats and dogs occupied.

My suggestion is that if you are buying the gun for self/home defense, skip the laser and put that money into buying more quality in the gun. If buying it to have some fun, knock yourself out.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)
On a Crimson Trace if you grip you gun normally it will come on.

When it is dark you will want all the help you can get.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A laser is an excellent training tool. If a shooter is pulling, or flinching it shows it in an instant. But I don't want one under normal circumstances. During my CCW class the instructor drew one of his guns to demonstrate the use of a laser. The laser wouldn't come on. He spent several minutes fiddling with it, but never got it working. If you train yourself to depend on a laser and it fails you at the worst possible moment, you could find yourself wasting vital seconds as you make the mental adjustment.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with you 100%. You must be proficient with the sites that were intended to be used. I can see if the lasers will malfunction. Those that require a switch can be problematic. There are some lasers that once you grab the pistol, the laser automatically turn on. I would rely on my aiming techniques first.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't care for lasers, lights, bayonets, beanie propellers or
any other gizmos on my ccw weapon.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg