CCW....laser or no???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW....laser or no???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW....laser or no???

So I'm sold on the Ruger LC9, but don't no if I should get it with or without the laser?? Seems impractical!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

It depends on the person. If you're getting a crimson trace laser that is pressure sensitive, not a bad choice. If you have to slide a switch down, not very practical. I avoid lasers all together on a self defense weapon solely on the reason I don't want to trust my life to something electronic in that manner. I trust my sights-theres no battery in them. That's what i train with, that's what i know. For the range....sure lasers are fun. Just my .02. Welcome to the forum, go introduce yourself in the introductions thread

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my PF-9 and carry it every day. I train primarily with the iron sights, but use the dot as backup. This is one of those cases that fits the saying "I would do ANYTHING to protect my family better!" Even if that includes using a battery.

I have full respect for both sides, however.

PoBoySpecial: Ballistics Testing with a Zombie twist. Let's face it, if it can stop a Zombie, a bad guy doesn't have a chance!
http://www.youtube.com/user/poboyspecial

Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

For defensive purposes I don't see how the laser is all that useful. If you are in a situation where the flying defecation has impacted the rotating air motivator the adrenaline levels are going to be through the roof, the heartbeat will be sky high, physiological flight/fight response will be pulling blood from extremities, and tunnel vision will be closing in. Hitting a button for the laser and the additional mental processes associated with seeing the red dot will either not happen (best case) or will make you slower (which can get you killed).

On the other side.... Lasers are a useful tool for dry-fire exercises and can be fun at the range. There is also the potential psychological impact they could potentially make on an intruder in a dark room if you catch him/her by surprise. They are also immensely useful in keeping cats and dogs occupied.

My suggestion is that if you are buying the gun for self/home defense, skip the laser and put that money into buying more quality in the gun. If buying it to have some fun, knock yourself out.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

I was 100% against a laser until I ordered the free DVD from Crimson Trace. Check it out, it may just enlighten you and change your mind.
I now have one on my XD40 all of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2264 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan16 View Post
I was 100% against a laser until I ordered the free DVD from Crimson Trace. Check it out, it may just enlighten you and change your mind.
I now have one on my XD40 all of the time.

You don't have to order the DVD. You can watch it all on YouTube here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/LaserAlpha/videos

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I am against lasers. Overall proficiency is what it is all about. Get good with your gun. Then, shoot some more and get really good with your gun. Just my two cents. Some people really like them, I don't see their purpose.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #9

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

I am GOOD with my gun. I am in personal protection so I HAVE TO BE. But there may come a point in time where you are in a situation where you can't aim (hence the DVD statement). The DVD or YouTube that was mentioned shows several situations where the laser prevails. To each his own though.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'd go with what you want.

However, don't get dependant on the laser over building your shooting skills without it. Use of the laser itself can possibly be a deterrant (seeing that little red/green dot on one's chest says volumes), but again, not to be a substitute for being a good shot and mastering weapon control.