Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CCW....laser or no??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ccw-laser-no-57532/)

mccartro 02-12-2012 04:40 AM

CCW....laser or no???

So I'm sold on the Ruger LC9, but don't no if I should get it with or without the laser?? Seems impractical!!

g17frantz 02-12-2012 04:47 AM

It depends on the person. If you're getting a crimson trace laser that is pressure sensitive, not a bad choice. If you have to slide a switch down, not very practical. I avoid lasers all together on a self defense weapon solely on the reason I don't want to trust my life to something electronic in that manner. I trust my sights-theres no battery in them. That's what i train with, that's what i know. For the range....sure lasers are fun. Just my .02. Welcome to the forum, go introduce yourself in the introductions thread

kalel01a 02-12-2012 05:33 AM

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my PF-9 and carry it every day. I train primarily with the iron sights, but use the dot as backup. This is one of those cases that fits the saying "I would do ANYTHING to protect my family better!" Even if that includes using a battery.

I have full respect for both sides, however.

Charyoutree 02-12-2012 01:03 PM

For defensive purposes I don't see how the laser is all that useful. If you are in a situation where the flying defecation has impacted the rotating air motivator the adrenaline levels are going to be through the roof, the heartbeat will be sky high, physiological flight/fight response will be pulling blood from extremities, and tunnel vision will be closing in. Hitting a button for the laser and the additional mental processes associated with seeing the red dot will either not happen (best case) or will make you slower (which can get you killed).

On the other side.... Lasers are a useful tool for dry-fire exercises and can be fun at the range. There is also the potential psychological impact they could potentially make on an intruder in a dark room if you catch him/her by surprise. They are also immensely useful in keeping cats and dogs occupied.

My suggestion is that if you are buying the gun for self/home defense, skip the laser and put that money into buying more quality in the gun. If buying it to have some fun, knock yourself out. :)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

Brennan16 02-12-2012 01:08 PM

I was 100% against a laser until I ordered the free DVD from Crimson Trace. Check it out, it may just enlighten you and change your mind.
I now have one on my XD40 all of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

ScottA 02-12-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brennan16 (Post 706234)
I was 100% against a laser until I ordered the free DVD from Crimson Trace. Check it out, it may just enlighten you and change your mind.
I now have one on my XD40 all of the time.

You don't have to order the DVD. You can watch it all on YouTube here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/LaserAlpha/videos

RecklessRegard 02-12-2012 02:29 PM

I am against lasers. Overall proficiency is what it is all about. Get good with your gun. Then, shoot some more and get really good with your gun. Just my two cents. Some people really like them, I don't see their purpose.

Paladin201 02-12-2012 02:52 PM

Brennan16 02-12-2012 04:21 PM

I am GOOD with my gun. I am in personal protection so I HAVE TO BE. But there may come a point in time where you are in a situation where you can't aim (hence the DVD statement). The DVD or YouTube that was mentioned shows several situations where the laser prevails. To each his own though.

wjnfirearms 02-12-2012 04:29 PM

I'd go with what you want.

However, don't get dependant on the laser over building your shooting skills without it. Use of the laser itself can possibly be a deterrant (seeing that little red/green dot on one's chest says volumes), but again, not to be a substitute for being a good shot and mastering weapon control.