CCW if I might move in a year or less?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW if I might move in a year or less?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW if I might move in a year or less?

My local South Carolina range/school runs a $195 all-day CCW class once a month. If I want to make it in for January 5th i have to sign up ASAP. After the class the permit takes about 90 days to come through.

The Permit gets me 11 states plus I'm told I can apply for Florida non-resident and get another 30 or so.

Trouble is, I'm "looking" for a job, which will most likely require me to move, very possibly to California. This could happen as soon as mid January...

So do I do the permit class/application while i'm in the right time/place/financial-state and get it done? Or would that be a bad investment, considering the circumstance?

__

Raven

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #2

If you were in NM, I would say wait till you move...It took 11 weeks to get my permit, and that was for a renewal...

Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Up to you brother. I didn't check the states on packing.org for SC so I don't know if they have a non res permit. Most states (all?) will translate a res to a non resident with a simple address change. I am so happy that I did what I did when I did it for one move of mine. I got my permit about three months before I moved, and it had good reciprocity. More importantly, it transferred to a non res with a phone call. BTW, it is from one of the hardest states to get a CCW (not an "impossible" eg CA, NY) but difficult. My vote is do the SC if it has a non res. If not, punt until you know for sure. It will be irrelevent anyway if no non-res.
good luck to you