CCW holy grail...help me find it. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW holy grail...help me find it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 AM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 692

You are right about the P3AT not being a fun gun to shoot. It is definitely better with the grip extension. Better yet with the 9 round mag. A piece of bicycle inner tube on the grip helps also. The Sig 238 was a joy to shoot after the P3AT but I thought the trigger could be better for an SA.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #22

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Yep, I'd agree about the trigger. Without the slip on grip it was pretty painful after those first 200 rounds. I can't wait to try the P380 I just got to replace it.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #23

Default Perfect CCW

Have you considered the Kahr subcompact 9's? The PM9 and the CM9 would appear (I've not shot either one.) to be excellent guns. The first is pricey; the second is very reasonable. Both garner outstanding reviews all over the internet.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Ruger SR9c 9mm, Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Kel Tec P11 9mm. These will need grip extensions.
Glock 19 9mm, Glock 36 45ACP .
I carry a P11 or the Glock 36 when I can. I carry a Kel Tec P3AT when I cant carry anything bigger. I got rid of my PF9 and went back to a P11. The P11 is very light, has a lousy trigger but has been extremely reliable. The trigger on mine is about the same as a double action revolver. The Glock 36 is 27 oz loaded 6+1 230 gr 45 ACP. Recoil is not bad for the weight and the trigger is decent. It is easier to shoot then the Glock 23 in 40 S&W for me anyway.
The XD is a nice shooter. The M&P looks very good but I have not shot one. My wife has the Ruger SR9c but she has not let me shoot it yet. I think she is afraid I might like it and buy another one.
when first bought my p11, i ordered a new trigger spring with lighter pull and also a trigger attachment that made the trigger larger and more comfortable..

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/trigger-shoe/review/

this is a post from another forum:

There is a 8.5 lb hammer spring (p/n P11-275).

"8.5-pound hammer spring (p/n P11-275)
If your Kel-Tec P11 is prior to the serial number 23xxx to 28xxx range, there's a good chance that you have the original 10-pound hammer spring installed in your gun (Kel-Tec CNC can verify for your which hammer spring is in your gun). Probably the single biggest "criticism" of the P11 is the long, hard DAO trigger pull. There's not much you can do to make the trigger pull shorter, but you can certainly make it easier by replacing the 10-pound spring with an 8.5-pound spring. If you feel comfortable completely disassembling your gun (fortunately, the P11 is a relatively "simple" gun with not a lot of parts), you can replace the hammer spring yourself (visit TecWerks for complete how-to instructions). But if you're unsure of your abilities, Kel-Tec CNC will replace the spring without charging you any labor (just the cost of the spring)."

Last edited by fast20; 10-16-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: more info

Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast20 View Post
when first bought my p11, i ordered a new trigger spring with lighter pull and also a trigger attachment that made the trigger larger and more comfortable..

Kel-Tec CNC - PF-9 Accessories, P-11 Accessories - Trigger Shoe

this is a post from another forum:

There is a 8.5 lb hammer spring (p/n P11-275).

"8.5-pound hammer spring (p/n P11-275)
If your Kel-Tec P11 is prior to the serial number 23xxx to 28xxx range, there's a good chance that you have the original 10-pound hammer spring installed in your gun (Kel-Tec CNC can verify for your which hammer spring is in your gun). Probably the single biggest "criticism" of the P11 is the long, hard DAO trigger pull. There's not much you can do to make the trigger pull shorter, but you can certainly make it easier by replacing the 10-pound spring with an 8.5-pound spring. If you feel comfortable completely disassembling your gun (fortunately, the P11 is a relatively "simple" gun with not a lot of parts), you can replace the hammer spring yourself (visit TecWerks for complete how-to instructions). But if you're unsure of your abilities, Kel-Tec CNC will replace the spring without charging you any labor (just the cost of the spring)."
My P11 has the 8.5 lb spring. My old one was changed when it was new. The original 10 lb spring was really miserable. A tiny bit of graphite grease on the trigger mechanism helps too. My old P11 had around 5k+/- with only one failure which was a bad primer. My current one has only had 400-500 rnds since I got it with no failures. They are light and reliable but it is still a fairly heavy trigger pull. I did not like the trigger shoe so it is sitting in the box. I do have the grip extensions and they make a big difference. Much better control. You need to shoot them like you would a DAO revolver. Use a little more finger on the trigger and keep it smooth and steady. No hesitation. When you get the trigger control right, the sights always seem to be in the right place when it goes bang.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #26

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
What surprised me is the 1911, I never thought they are concealable.
Yea, I've been saying that for 35 years.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
My P11 has the 8.5 lb spring. My old one was changed when it was new. The original 10 lb spring was really miserable. A tiny bit of graphite grease on the trigger mechanism helps too. My old P11 had around 5k+/- with only one failure which was a bad primer. My current one has only had 400-500 rnds since I got it with no failures. They are light and reliable but it is still a fairly heavy trigger pull. I did not like the trigger shoe so it is sitting in the box. I do have the grip extensions and they make a big difference. Much better control. You need to shoot them like you would a DAO revolver. Use a little more finger on the trigger and keep it smooth and steady. No hesitation. When you get the trigger control right, the sights always seem to be in the right place when it goes bang.
i have small hands... but i did put a houge slip-on grip...really fits me nice..