Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW holy grail...help me find it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

To me the perfect CC weapons are a 1911 in Gov or Commander length. Or something like a 229 Sig Sauer. I just don't like something I can't get my hands full of and expect to control it when things just might be out of control so to speak. Glock 19 fits that size wise. I just do not like the really small pistols. For me it's giving up too much just to make it easier to hide.

To say avoid the what you shoot best is just not healthy logic. You can learn to get better with a weapon but if it's not a good fit then it's just not a good fit. And that can lead to problems that can not be undone. If it's a weapon that might be called upon to save your bacon then things are going to get really crazy in a real big hurry. That is no tine to be needing to concentrate on where your pinky is or if your grip is OK. The reason people say get the best fit is that thing has to go into your hand at a time when time is not on your side. You don't wear pants a size too small. I'd imagine that is for a reason. And most of us don't expect our pants to keep us alive.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
To say avoid the what you shoot best is just not healthy logic.
I am aware of that but giving me that as a response won't help me any.

As usual, after all the curve balls are thrown, I am more confused than ever. LOL. Instead of it shrinking, the list just doubled but that is good...the search continues.

What surprised me is the 1911, I never thought they are concealable.

Keep it coming guys and thanks!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
What surprised me is the 1911, I never thought they are concealable.
In MY opinion, you will be hard pressed to find an easier to conceal .45 pistol. Are there lighter ones? Yes, but sexier? NO. :

Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #14

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Now I carry a 4.25" 1911 and I can put that thing anywhere.
Eeeewwww!!! Mental note, never buy a pistol from JD!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Look at the Kimber Solo. I have one on order.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

May I recommend a Colt Defender New Agent. I'm gearing towards one for another CCW option.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #17

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

For a pocket 9mm I would suggest the Kahr PM9 over the Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec P11.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #18

Default CCW in 9mm or larger

I've at least 3 suggestions for you: Ruger SR9c, Kimber CDP Ultra II, Taurus PT-709. I have all three. The Taurus is the thinnest and is a fine pistol...and it's reasonably priced. The SR9c is a BEAUTY! It's not as thin, but is more comfortable and offers both the 10-round short magazine which still supports all four fingers and a 17-round extended mag. The trigger is super. I love this gun. Then, there's the Kimber compact 1911 in .45 caliber. It's actually a little smaller and lighter than the Ruger. Pricey, but nicey!!

In a smaller caliber, I ALWAYS carry a DiamondBack .380 in my back pocket with a Talon holster and frequently carry a Sig P238 on my belt when when one of the larger guns will be obtrusive. I've tried carrying my Ruger SP101 in .327 FedMag, but it's a bit bulkier and doesn't give me as many shots as all the others. Still, the caliber is excellent and the revolver is fantastic.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1661 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Keep in mind that light guns in heavy calibers recoil a lot. Shoot what you can control. It is better to hit something with a lighter caliber than miss with a heavier caliber. I find I can control a 27 oz loaded 9mm better than I can control a 27 oz loaded 45. I can keep both in a 5" circle at 7 yds but it is easier and faster with the 9mm. My 19 0z loaded 9mm is about the same as the heavier 45 to control. A better trigger would help here. It is a Kel-Tec P11 and their trigger mostly stink.
The Sig 238 is a lot nicer to shoot than the P3AT or the LCP.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #20

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Keep in mind that light guns in heavy calibers recoil a lot. Shoot what you can control. It is better to hit something with a lighter caliber than miss with a heavier caliber. I find I can control a 27 oz loaded 9mm better than I can control a 27 oz loaded 45. I can keep both in a 5" circle at 7 yds but it is easier and faster with the 9mm. My 19 0z loaded 9mm is about the same as the heavier 45 to control. A better trigger would help here. It is a Kel-Tec P11 and their trigger mostly stink.
The Sig 238 is a lot nicer to shoot than the P3AT or the LCP.
Good point. If you can, try before you buy. When I shot my P3AT at the range the first time it was pretty bad. Perhaps things would have gotten better with time, but I think that the grip extensions are a must just because the recoil is so bad. Here's the first target I went through @ 12 yards. The really bad groupings are without the grip extensions. The better groupings were after I put the grip extensions on.

I've added a slip on grip and been to the range quite a bit and now I can keep the groupings really tight @ 12 yards. But it certainly isn't a fun gun to shoot.