CCW holy grail...help me find it.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW holy grail...help me find it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default CCW holy grail...help me find it.

I am really clueless but want to hear opinions on this.

For me (repeat for me), the perfect/ideal CCW must have most of the following:
- thin (less than 1.25" thick/wide)
- short (around 6" long)
- capacity (6 or more)
- grip (really prefer long enough to still accommodate my pinky, not just up to my ring finger)
- potent (9mm or > but prefer 9mm for recoil management)
- weight (not so much a factor for me, the size restriction will reduce this some)
- manageable recoil (I cannot quantify this but a heavier gun should help)

I know I cannot have it all but want to find the best compromise/mix based on above criteria and my list came down to these.

XDm 3.8 compact
S&W M&P compact
Sig 239
Walther PPS
Ruger LC9

Comments?

BTW, please avoid the usual, whatever I shoot best response ...lets assume I can learn to love and shoot them all great. Thank you.

Last edited by Poink88; 02-16-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The only one I have that's on your list is a Sig P239 - great gun but certainly not tiny. Look at a Kahr CW9 or P9 as well as they're great carry guns...

Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're not clueless. That's a fine 9mm CCW list. I'm with ya' on the pinkie thing. Love my Kahr CW9 which is in the same ballpark RE size/weight/quality/price as PPS and LC9 (providing all is well on the LC9 new-issue issue). You might want to give it a look too. The single-stack 9's are great for carry IMHO.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 02-16-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've tried carrying an XD45, XD9 sub compact and neither worked well for me, they were simply too bulky. Great weapons but too bulky, I find this to apply to the M&P as well as the Sig. I have also played with my SP101 in 357 but haven't found a holster I like for it yet and again, a little bulky around the cylinder.
A 4" 1911 in 45 has worked better for me then anything. It's thin, 8+1, hard hitting and I can make it disappear in shorts and a t shirt.

NGIB is right about Kahr, they make some great carry guns but they're a little pricey.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Ruger SR9c 9mm, Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Kel Tec P11 9mm. These will need grip extensions.
Glock 19 9mm, Glock 36 45ACP .
I carry a P11 or the Glock 36 when I can. I carry a Kel Tec P3AT when I cant carry anything bigger. I got rid of my PF9 and went back to a P11. The P11 is very light, has a lousy trigger but has been extremely reliable. The trigger on mine is about the same as a double action revolver. The Glock 36 is 27 oz loaded 6+1 230 gr 45 ACP. Recoil is not bad for the weight and the trigger is decent. It is easier to shoot then the Glock 23 in 40 S&W for me anyway.
The XD is a nice shooter. The M&P looks very good but I have not shot one. My wife has the Ruger SR9c but she has not let me shoot it yet. I think she is afraid I might like it and buy another one.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #6

Glock 19. I love mine and its extremely comfortable.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2967 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 329

You would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least check the various CZ offerings. Good guns for good prices.
CZ75 compact
CZ 2075 RAMI

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Paraordnance C7/45.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

if you were in wis i would let ya test drive my colt new agent.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Unless they offer a mag extension with a pinky slot, I believe all the weapons on your list are going to come up short, literally, on the grip.

That is one of the biggest problems with the smaller, now you see it-now you don't, pistols.

I noticed that you make no mention of a manual safety and that you haven't ruled out revolvers. (Yes, I checked and this is in the CCW not in Semi-Autos section ).

I carried a Sig P-229 for years and while it's over your thinness rating at 1.5" I never had any problem with concealment or weight. It does not have a manual safety though, only a decocker, and it is a double stack, so that is where some of the width comes in.

Now I carry a 4.25" 1911 and I can put that thing anywhere. The all steel frame and slide help manage recoil, along with the +P rated spring, and that big .45 round will get someone's attention in a hurry.

Best of luck with your shopping and please keep us in the loop.