CCW done! Next pick out handgun that is best for me - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW done! Next pick out handgun that is best for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3028 Times on 1809 Posts
Likes Given: 2051

personally, i would rather not start anything with someone pointing a 22 in my direction....they aren't a joke! get good with that 22....everyone on here has said it before....SHOT PLACEMENT! and in terms of self defense, presnting ANY gun will normally settle things down quickly....

if 22 is what the OP feels most comfortable with...it is certainly better than nothing. a nice step up might be a 22 mag or 380.

get precision good with that 22....then rent a 380 or 9mm at a range and try em...they are really quite tame on "kick." the 9mm won't kick more than your 38 likely. as said, there are great little compacts in 380 and 9.

until then, carry away with your 22. it should go a long towards keeping you safe. i promise, nobody on this board wants to be a the business end of that deuce deuce!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #22

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I was not really confident that I would be able to handle a 9mm. I have neck and shoulder issues so not the strongest chick on the block. I am 5'4 and 125 lbs. I loved the .22LR and could shoot it all day, but they do have fails, and like was stated if you have a mis-feed, failure to eject etc. on a semi-auto your weapon just became a club. HOWEVER, the hubby got me a 9mm Beretta sub-compact PX4 storm and with a very patient teacher that he is, he taught me how to use it. I would only go through a magazine or so when we went shooting the 1st few times.

Then I said to myself, "If I am going to carry this weapon for my defense and to defend my loved ones, I need to own it, and become friends!". After that I learned there is nothing to be scared of and now I can't re-load fast enough and can easily put 500 rounds down range in a day! I am damn good with it, and each time I shoot it I get better. i clean it myself, learned to completely take it down and put it together and know it well. I learned to find a way to safely and easily rack the slide! Once un-loaded I practice drawing and taking the safety off quickly.

Another option is the 380, which is somewhere in the middle of 22 and 9MM. I shot one last weekend for the 1st time and it had zero recoil. We had a 1st time shooter with us and he said it was so easy to shoot, felt almost like a toy. Worth a rental or joining a range group so you can try other weapons. Many ranges have a "ladies night" where your lane is free and gun rentals are 5-10 bucks per hour, you just buy ammo. You can change the weapon you are trying out, so that is a good option.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #23

I went to the range today and shot another 100 rounds with my 22. I also borrowed m neighbors 9mm. Shot that also. I will continue to shoot the 9mm, but I love my 22. I know it does not have a lot of power as a 45, 9mm of some of the other larger caliber handguns, but for someone who is just getting her feet wet (shooting less than 2 years) I'm not doing too badly. I will rent or see if any of my friends have these types of handguns and give them a try. Thank you everyone for all the good advice.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #24

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms0033 View Post
a 22 caliber handgun that I could carry
Have you looked here..........www.WhichGun.com ?
You can filter the list and see what's available to suit your needs and wants.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Last edited by ScottA; 08-05-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Fixed it for ya.