CCW done! Next pick out handgun that is best for me - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CCW done! Next pick out handgun that is best for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts

If you want to carry a .22 I would look seriously at the Bersa Thunder .22 a dependable, accurate gun and easy to conceal. Maybe also look at the Bersa Thunder .380. I have a Thunder .380 and carry it. Also have a Bersa Thunder .32 but they are tough to find.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #12

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Anybody who has fired a Kahr (P9, PM9, CM9, K9, etc.) will agree that they really deal well with recoil. 9mm is a great round and all of the Kahrs are REALLY good for concealment. The battery of arms (all the stuff you have to be able to do on the gun to make it go BANG) is really simple for a Kahr and every trigger pull is exactly the same.

Like an LC9, but mo' betta.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #13

Liked 169 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms0033
Now that I have my CCW, I want to pick out a handgun to carry. I LOVE shooting my 22 at the range. Any suggestions for a 22 caliber handgun that I could carry or as a self defense handgun for home?

I am female and I also have a 38 special that I could carry, but a semi-automatic would be something I would like to carry if possible.
No crime in starting with a 22 CALIBER!! I suggest you start with something comfortable to shoot and carry!! As far as comfort, take your pick, because most Gun company's gear models to the carry craze in today's world!! I found that I need 2 carry guns for my "no excuse not to carry" rule. I carry a Glock 19 and if I just don't feel like strapping the mid size 9 on! I pocket the LCP 380, sweet little pistol that will conceal in anything!! Shoots surprisingly accurate with some range practice!! So I recommend this little 380(LCP). No it's not the ideal caliber but it is the ideal size to help make carrying a gun like putting on your wrist watch!! I found its way to easy to leave bigger guns on the nightstand, especially when running quick errands!! The Ruger LCP is not the only micro 380 made but is probably the most proven and widely owned!! lC9 is a bit bigger and heavier but also a great choice!! Everything is new and exciting to you now, understandable!! But you going to need a bug just to throw in your pocket!! Promise-

Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #14

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms0033 View Post
Now that I have my CCW, I want to pick out a handgun to carry. I LOVE shooting my 22 at the range. Any suggestions for a 22 caliber handgun that I could carry or as a self defense handgun for home?

I am female and I also have a 38 special that I could carry, but a semi-automatic would be something I would like to carry if possible.
Welcome to the ranks of supporters of the second amendment. If you can find a gun shop near you which has a range you may have the opportunity to shoot a few different guns and see what you like. I recently got my CCW and bought a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard in .380 auto. It's small enough for pocket carry, IWB carry, on the belt or in your case, purse or "booby" carry. My wife likes the gun as well. It's light, it has a built in laser, and being S&W, has a lifetime warranty. But as I said, try as many as you can first. And good luck.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I would also Add to the last poster's comment: If the Range you go to has a "Club" or clubs that meet there and/or a Membership level, if it's financially affordable, don't hesitate to join! I've been shooting on and off for close to a half century(I just turned 53 yesterday-I'm Middle aged :-( And I LEARN something new every time I Talk to AN RSO or a 'Smith.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Missouribound Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #16

Liked 577 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Lets face it. If you confront an intruder in your home - unless he has a bigger gun than you - a .22 will scare the crap out of them. When you shoot at someone they dont know what you are using.

Id look hard at the S&W M&P Shield. Very compact and thinner than the standard M&P series. 9MM would be a very good choice but .22 would also suffice.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/MP_Shield/index.html

Comparison:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Side-by-Side.jpg

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 08-03-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #17

Liked 352 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 40

A little more insight into the .22lr and 38 you have now would help a bit. You cshould be able to handle any number of smaller 380's and 9mm pistols from bersa , m&p and kahr with out much of an issue. I have a wife and 2 daughters that carry. Pistol range from a couple taurs TCP 380's when smaller is wanted to bersa 380CC and 38sp +P snubbies. But all have larger pistol they also shot. Just don't carry them. Try a state shooting forum and see if theres other shooters near you that will let you try there pistols

Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #18

Liked 3861 Times on 1951 Posts
Likes Given: 6359

One of the guys at my LGS told me the small frame , hammerless, .38/.357 revolvers have been selling like crazy for the last year or so. Small enough to just drop in the side pocket of your cargo shorts and go, with .357, or .38+P, i would think plenty of power.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 2478 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

While I would always recommend a larger caliber for home defense (i.e. 9mm, 40, 45, etc), I can understand some are not comfortable with it.

That said, if you are depending upon the 22 to save your life; make sure you have those in a revolver. The 22lr rimfire is notoriously unreliable. Most people don't make a big deal out it, because the round is typically used for fun. If a round fails to fire in a revolver, you just pull the trigger again. If a round fails to fire in a semi-auto, you're screwed.

Therefore, I would recommend either the Ruger LCR or Ruger SP101 or the S&W 17 (which I own).

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
davva360 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3390 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
While I would always recommend a larger caliber for home defense (i.e. 9mm, 40, 45, etc), I can understand some are not comfortable with it.

That said, if you are depending upon the 22 to save your life; make sure you have those in a revolver. The 22lr rimfire is notoriously unreliable. Most people don't make a big deal out it, because the round is typically used for fun. If a round fails to fire in a revolver, you just pull the trigger again. If a round fails to fire in a semi-auto, you're screwed.

Therefore, I would recommend either the Ruger LCR or Ruger SP101 or the S&W 17 (which I own).
My wife would shoot a .22 for Every purpose if she could. But when her "big girl" pants are on it's the LCR 38+P for carry and the SP 101 for HD, and My Dad's 5" Security Six to augment SHTF situations...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...