Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CCW done! Next pick out handgun that is best for me (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ccw-done-next-pick-out-handgun-best-me-93960/)

lms0033 07-15-2013 07:40 PM

Now that I have my CCW, I want to pick out a handgun to carry. I LOVE shooting my 22 at the range. Any suggestions for a 22 caliber handgun that I could carry or as a self defense handgun for home?

I am female and I also have a 38 special that I could carry, but a semi-automatic would be something I would like to carry if possible.

AIKIJUTSU 07-15-2013 07:44 PM

There are several threads on the forum that discuss this subject. It may help to browse them to get help with your decision.

Anna_Purna 07-15-2013 07:48 PM

Male? Female? New to the world of shooting? A little more info could help out a bunch. :)

Glockluster 07-15-2013 07:53 PM

Most people think 22 is a bad idea for self defense/home defense. Deffneitly better than nothing but if you can handle a 9mm or larger your better off. I recently got a ruger lc9 and love it. I also have a ruger sr22 which is a good 22 and is about the same size. Congrats on getting your ccw

DrFootball 07-15-2013 08:02 PM

Congrats!

Yes Congrats & +1 on the LC9. But please go and find a place where you can rent some to try out.....:cool::cool:

orangello 07-15-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1305247)
Yes Congrats & +1 on the LC9. But please go and find a place where you can rent some to try out.....:cool::cool:

Yup! You need to find a way to fondle as many different handguns as you reasonably can. You should shoot at least three before choosing one, IMO.

If you are set on a .22LR, maybe you could get one of the Bersa Thunder .22's and then transition to the .380acp version for a larger/more effective projectile. in this way, you would end up with a plinker/practice pistol that uses the usually inexpensive .22LR ammo but handles almost the same as your carry pistol in .380 (9mm short).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_178/products_id/72192/Bersa+T22NKL+Thunder+22+22+Long+Rifle+3.5%22+10%2B 1+Black+Syn+Gr

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_178/products_id/25381/Bersa+Thunder+380+.380acp+Duo+Tone%2C+7+round

danf_fl 07-15-2013 10:04 PM

I would get with some ranges and rent a couple.

Congrats on getting your CCW. As an instructor, I would encourage that you consider attending more classes.

Don't sell yourself short and limit yourself to certain calibers. I have a niece who weighs just a little north of 100# and she handles the .40S&W and .45ACP caliber firearms with ease. She started her training when she was 12 years old, and now a mother, wife, business owner. I have witnessed her hitting a 2X4 (about 2ft long) 1 out of 2 shots at fifty yards.

AIKIJUTSU 07-15-2013 10:25 PM

Don't be intimidated by recoil (sometimes called "kick"). It is not the monster some would have you believe. My 5'4, 115-lb wife enjoys shooting her Dan Wesson .44 magnum, has no issue with recoil. There are many handguns out there, with many different characteristics. Probably a .22 is not the best handgun for self defense. There are many easily concealed, semiautomatic "pocket" pistols in caliber .380 ACP, and many in 9MM, that provide good protection if you get training on the use of them, and practice once in a while. Also, lightweight revolvers in .32 H&R magnum, .38 special, .44 special are good so far as defensive calibers go. And the only special consideration for dealing with recoil is that you just need to get a firm grip on the gun, but otherwise relax, and let it recoil. It won't hurt you, and after a little practice, it is fun.

gr8oldguy 07-15-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lms0033 (Post 1305218)
Now that I have my CCW, I want to pick out a handgun to carry. I LOVE shooting my 22 at the range. Any suggestions for a 22 caliber handgun that I could carry or as a self defense handgun for home?

I am female and I also have a 38 special that I could carry, but a semi-automatic would be something I would like to carry if possible.

Learn to shoot and control the .38 you have now. It's a great gun to start with and it's a good caliber to carry. After a while with your .38, you'll have the background to shop for your own gun. good luck

audiophile 07-15-2013 10:56 PM

The .38 would be a better round but if the .22 is what you are comfortable with for now, by all means carry it. Make sure you have the right ammo. I recommend CCI Velocetors for PD. Make sure you spend plenty of time at the range because shot placement is critical with this caliber.
To carry a .22 that you are confident with is better than a weapon that you are not. I would rather land 10 shots with a .22 than miss any with a higher caliber.
Like others have said, don't discount higher rounds, spend time at a range that has firearms to rent and shoot several different models and calibers. Good luck and carry safe!