ccw and diversion/probation

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > ccw and diversion/probation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ccw and diversion/probation

i was on the uscarry.com website looking for information about open carry, and found something about concealed carry i had a question about.

"7. Applicant must not have any if the following within five years preceding application:*
a. Convicted or placed on diversion two or more times for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs"

i was granted diversion when i was 18 for a dui, it was the first time ive been arrestedl. and the first time i was granted diversion. the way i read this, my single dui wont disqualify me from getting my ccw? anyone else have a thought on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Dpends on your STATE law and regulations. Here in VA, may not be ONE in past 3 years. And may the Lord have mercy on ya if you are caught drinking while carrying- 'cause the Judge ain't gonna have no mercy! You may want to search the state code for YOUR state.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

will do. because i got diversion, and not probation, it actually doesnt go down on my record as a conviction. due to lifetime lookback if i got a second one (after 1 whos dumb enough for 2?), then the first one would show on my record, but as it is now it doesnt show up on my record. could that come into play as well? and do you know any good sites to look up the state laws about that?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Google is your friend. Easiest thing is to look up the state code. In your case, as long as you are not still in the "pending" category, you should be good to go. By pending, I mean where the judge has said "I will defer judgment for a period of one year, on the condition that you keep the laws of this state, and satisfactorily complete XYZ program." and the year is not up yet. Link to the MO statutes: http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/C500-599/5710000101.HTM

Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the link c3shooter.

"(5) An affirmation that the applicant has not been convicted of, pled guilty
to, or entered a plea of nolo contendere to one or more misdemeanor offenses involving crimes of violence within a five-year period immediately preceding application for a certificate of qualification to obtain a concealed carry endorsement or if the applicant has not been convicted of two or more misdemeanor offenses involving driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or the possession or abuse of a controlled substance within a five-year period immediately preceding application for a certificate of qualification to obtain a concealed carry endorsement; "

apparently i would need 2 duis to disqualify myself. seeing how i quit drinking after my first, its gonna be hard to get a second.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolshark13 View Post
thanks for the link c3shooter.

apparently i would need 2 duis to disqualify myself. seeing how i quit drinking after my first, its gonna be hard to get a second.
So I guess you're not a "poolshark" anymore? Remember, it's the first drink that gets you drunk...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

o i still plaly plenty of pool. i rake in a lot more cash off my friends when they're drunk and im not.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:01 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolshark13 View Post
o i still plaly plenty of pool. i rake in a lot more cash off my friends when they're drunk and im not.
I quit drinking 9 years ago because I found myself joining pool leagues and dart leagues and getting tanked 2-3 nights a week and driving home. I realized before it happened that it would have been a matter of time before I lost my license. Having a CDL I couldn't afford that. I don't go to bars anymore because that would be inviting trouble. I have stopped in to the old watering hole on occasion to verify my suspicions - that the same people were on the same stools, talking the same stupid ****...and they have aged much more than I have...some are even dead.
My CCW permit is worth more to me than any hangover ever was.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-24-2008, 06:00 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im with you there. granted i dont have my ccw yet, but my job was more important to me than the bottle. if i cant work, i cant pay rent, pay for my car, and everything else i need in life. its all about priorities.