Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is CCW constitutional

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 03:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegatoRedrivers View Post
This statement irritates me, anyway. There have been a number of court cases that have determined that due to "right to travel" and your right to your own property, suspending a person's driver's license (especially without going through the court system) is unconstitutional anyway.

That didn't keep the BMV from suspending my license. The check to my car insurance company had fallen between the seats of my car; it had lapsed and I didn't know it. I got pulled over.

Despite the fact I'd had insurance within DAYS of getting the ticket, and didn't know I wasn't covered at the time, I technically didn't have coverage the day I got pulled over, so I lost my license for 90 days.

My job required me to have an active drivers license, so I lost my job. The unemployment agency screwed up (they said I had no reported income for the previous year) so it took 2 months before it even started coming in, and I hadn't found a new job by this point, so I also lost my apartment. Luckily, I owned my car, or I would have lost that, too.

And it had nothing to do with the courts. I spoke with the county persecutor who said he wouldn't oppose having the whole incident stricken from the record, but the suspension was imposed by the BMV with no involvement from the court system, so there was nothing anyone could do. Lawyers advised me it would have easily taken the whole 90 days and hundreds of dollars to get a hardship license, so it wouldn't even be worth the trouble!

Sorry, thread hijack.

</rant>

I live in Indiana, where all you have to do to get a CCW is apply and send in the cash (providing you have a clean record.) You can also opt for a "Lifetime Permit" for a bit extra. I think people should have to go through some type of firearms safety training, but to be honest, I think "Firearms Safety" should be a required class in High School. :P
Wow that sucks! I personally think government required insurance is a big scam!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #22

i agree that if states can have drivers ed in school they should teach gun safety in school. i feel that would spark interest in the newer genreations to think about getting, owning, and or carrying guns and thus not only help out us trying to put the rights back in the citizens hands but get more ppl to want to have that right to protect themselves cause more ppl know how to use them.

PV2 Tille

Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackB View Post
Well, as per clip11's example, not all people considered criminals want to commit crime. Maybe someone did something stupid when they were younger, then later in life, take up a job that requires them to handle large sums of money. Technically, they are a criminal, but they don't consequently want to commit further crime. All this assumes that I understood clip11 correctly.
I classify a crimanal as one who has commited a felony. Anything else was just a mistake. As a correctional officer, I've seen that most of those capable of committing a felony have sociopathic personalities. It's unlikely in today's society for a former felon to land a job that might require them to handle large amounts of money (cash).
If a citizen values his rights, he won't infringe on somebody else's to the point of commiting a felony, especially if he knows it may cost him his rights. Just remember that alot of criminals are opportunists.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #24

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapes View Post
i agree that if states can have drivers ed in school they should teach gun safety in school. i feel that would spark interest in the newer genreations to think about getting, owning, and or carrying guns and thus not only help out us trying to put the rights back in the citizens hands but get more ppl to want to have that right to protect themselves cause more ppl know how to use them.
My school offered a hunters safety course in 5th grade, (around the age you can hunt in pa). of corse myself and most of the others in the class had handled firearms before that. It was taught by the local sherif and a game comissoner. it focused on rifles shotguns and bows but gave an opprotunity for kids to learn more than just the basics of firearm safety. needless to say that class is no longer offered at that school. too many liberal parents thought they were training the next colmbine killers.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #25
ET1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip11:
The second amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. Therefore it is a right not a privilege, like say driving. So can government, according to the 2nd amendment, make laws that require citizens to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and on top of that charge a high price for that license (some states charge as much as $100, which to some is a lot of money)?

In my opinion, only convicted felons should have to have government license to carry concealed and those granted on a case by case basis. What is your opinions?
With all due respect, the 2nd amendment does not give us the right to bear arms. The constitution isn't a document that does anything but spell out what powers the government has and what rights the people are left with after the government takes away what they need to govern us. The 2nd amendment protects our right to carry a firearm just like the other parts of the constitution & amendments protect our rights. These are God given rights we already possess. The only thing that the government can do is take away our rights. Governments do not give us rights. It might sound minor, but it is a major diffference.

Last edited by ET1; 04-02-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #26

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
The second amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. Therefore it is a right not a privilege, like say driving. So can government, according to the 2nd amendment, make laws that require citizens to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and on top of that charge a high price for that license (some states charge as much as $100, which to some is a lot of money)?

In my opinion, only convicted felons should have to have government license to carry concealed and those granted on a case by case basis. What is your opinions?
By your own analogy, you need a license to drive. So, yes, I fully believe in a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Sadly, the system is broken. Just like with a drivers license it should be good in ALL states. There needs to be better training. The class I attended to get mine was a joke. There needs to be formal class time that's structured and actually teaches you how to handle a firearm and talks about all the laws pertaining to a concealed carry. There should also be time at the range. Because, I don't like knowing that people could be walking around without any clue on how to handle themselves with a gun or handle a gun properly at all. It can happen with the current system, but it tends to weed out a lot of them. I find that when you open it up all sorts will carry and I don't trust people to be responsible.

That's my two cents.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #27
ET1

Because we have been given the right to bear arms and to protect ourselves by God, I do not think that a permit should be required to carry a gun. If you truly feel that we need a license to exercise our God given rights then why the heck do we allow just anybody to have children without passing a parenting course and having an age limit. We can't carry firearms in Ga. until we turn 21, but we can father a child the moment we start producing viable sperm. If you want to license a right then by all means license having children. If you want to require a course & test in ensure that the person is qualified then by all means lets test the people before they procreate. It is far more dangerous to our society to have children with no knowledge of how to parent then it is to carry around a firearm without being shown how to aim it. I paid over $100 just to be able to carry a gun. Lets charge $1000 for a license to have a child then let's see just how many 14 year olds start having children & end up with 8 by the time they are 28. They don't have the money to raise them so we the people foot the bill. The fathers are absent because that is the best way to collect child care from the government. Just saying...

Last edited by ET1; 04-02-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
By your own analogy, you need a license to drive. So, yes, I fully believe in a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Sadly, the system is broken. Just like with a drivers license it should be good in ALL states. There needs to be better training. The class I attended to get mine was a joke. There needs to be formal class time that's structured and actually teaches you how to handle a firearm and talks about all the laws pertaining to a concealed carry. There should also be time at the range. Because, I don't like knowing that people could be walking around without any clue on how to handle themselves with a gun or handle a gun properly at all. It can happen with the current system, but it tends to weed out a lot of them. I find that when you open it up all sorts will carry and I don't trust people to be responsible.

That's my two cents.
Just like those Negroes need a literacy test to vote right?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5290 Times on 2760 Posts
Likes Given: 333

When folks bring up the licensing thing vs ccw they miss a critical issue. You are guaranteed the right to travel from state to state but there is no right to do it by car plane or bus or boat.

The 2a says you have the right to keep and bear arms but it also gives the state via other ammendments the right to regulate usage. The same way it regulates travel by means other than walking.

I have no problem with states ensuring the bearer of arms a modicum of training so long as the cost is not onerous to the citizen. It is also the duty of the citizen to ensure the safe portage of arms so as to not endanger the public.

What is egregious is the states and federal govt. That denies the citizens the right to keep and bear arms.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The Second Amendment should be the only "license or permit" required for a law abiding American to carry a firearm.

Notice that I specified "law abiding". How that can be done without infringing on the 2A, I don't know.
I agree completely. Kalifornia's, oops I mean California's open carry law boggles my mind, you can carry a handgun openly as long as it's EMPTY for defense. From what I've seen on many forums and heard from many former Kalifornians is that one must be politically connected (with the right party) to obtain a CC permit there. As king Louis said on Jungle Book, "Crazy!" The People's Republic of Kalifornia isn't alone in having crazy gun laws though. Most Blue states do.