Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is CCW constitutional

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

And also like i pointed out, its funny that states charge a $100+ fee for a ccw license. i think alot of it has to do with money. It doesnt make sense if you can legally buy a pistol w/o a license but you need a license to carry it. It would make more logical sense if you needed a license to purchase but not carry, but it would still be wrong.

I think alot of it has to do with $$$.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, in many states, the fee is based on the cost of processing your permit--paying the people who do the fingerprints, type up the forms, and run the records checks. If that's the case, I don't have a problem with it and no other real conservative should, either since the only alternative would be to put the cost on every other taxpayer. Why should the rest of us pay for your benefit?

That said, I have to ask the purpose of this thread. It seems like you asked a question solely for the purpose of giving yourself an opportunity to rant at us all. Seriously, it is what it is, and all of the academic grumbling about what you or anyone else thinks is just that--mere academic grumbling.

Not trying to beat up on you, but...if you're that serious about it, you might want to consider running for office or otherwise working in one of the two political parties to try to get real conservative elected. Ranting at us isn't going to get anything done.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #13

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

This is how I feel about this subject

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/do-you-really-support-second-amendment-25340/

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #14

ok i agree that not everyone that has commited a crime wants to continue being a criminal but that's just a small precentage of criminals but i understand what you;re sayin there and there's always special circumstances for things. but yeah it's all about money because i know around here in VA most places charge $50 for just the class and then here in chesapeake it's another $50 for the ccw, but like in suffolk it's only $5 for the ccw

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #15

I think that the Second Amendment implies that we, American citizens, have the right to keep and bear arms (call me crazy). This to me means that everyone should be able to purchase and carry, as they see fit, a gun. The government doesn't need my fingerprints and they sure as hell don't need anymore of my hard earned money.
There would be a lot less crime in America if everyone was aware that everyone else might be armed. And, it sure wouldn't be such a big deal if everyone was carrying if they wanted to. My state, Indiana, requires that you pay up to $125 to get a permit just to carry your handgun, concealed or open and there's no guarantee that the laws won't change and all that money will be for not.
I disagree with the idea that a thread like this is just a chance for everyone to vent their problems with gun control. I believe that if people get together and start a discussion on something they can start a moment that can lead to change. You never know who's reading threads like these and who will do something with it in the court of law (i.e. The Tax Party). Keep up the discussions and fight for your rights!

This Big Dog will fight if you rattle his cage. - Toby Keith "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue"

If the government told 'em to go down Monday morning and get a "walking license" and pay ten bucks a year for it, they'd do it. - Randy Weaver

Old 04-22-2010, 03:23 AM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

We may find out this summer what the Supreme Court thinks of this very question when they reveal the results of the Chicago case. If they rule similarly to their DC decision, it could turn a lot of CCW laws on their ears.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #17

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

The Hiller case was an attempt by the supreme courts to appease both sides of the gun issue.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

As I posted recently in another thread, the percentage of the population that wants to legally carry is small - around 6% of GA adults have permits. As GA is a shall issue state with no training requirement and relatively cheap prices - it shows how small a voice we are in the grand scheme of things. This shows why the Supreme Court treads lightly in this area - to a large percentage of the population this isn't an important issue. Funny how a lot of threads that invoke the constitution are started by folks with something on their records that prevents them from getting a permit...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-22-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #19

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just to chime in - The great state of Arizona has always had "Open Carry". Its in the State constitution. But we didn't have CCW. A number of years ago a law was passed providing for CCW. You had to take a test spend 2 8 hour days in class, Finger printed etc. and then you could CCW except in bars and restaurants that served booze. The last items Bars etc, changed a couple of years ago, where you now can carry as long as you don't drink (if your stupid enough to carry and drink you really have a problem). But saving the best for last, 2 weeks ago the Governor signed a bill into law allowing anybody to CCW - no test - no nothing and rightfully so. If the state constitution has always allowed Open Carry, why charge somebody to CCW ?

In 90 days after the Legislature adjourns, CCW by anybody will be legal (except for Felons) in the great state of Arizona.

God I love this place been here for 36 years.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
The second amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. Therefore it is a right not a privilege, like say driving.
This statement irritates me, anyway. There have been a number of court cases that have determined that due to "right to travel" and your right to your own property, suspending a person's driver's license (especially without going through the court system) is unconstitutional anyway.

That didn't keep the BMV from suspending my license. The check to my car insurance company had fallen between the seats of my car; it had lapsed and I didn't know it. I got pulled over.

Despite the fact I'd had insurance within DAYS of getting the ticket, and didn't know I wasn't covered at the time, I technically didn't have coverage the day I got pulled over, so I lost my license for 90 days.

My job required me to have an active drivers license, so I lost my job. The unemployment agency screwed up (they said I had no reported income for the previous year) so it took 2 months before it even started coming in, and I hadn't found a new job by this point, so I also lost my apartment. Luckily, I owned my car, or I would have lost that, too.

And it had nothing to do with the courts. I spoke with the county persecutor who said he wouldn't oppose having the whole incident stricken from the record, but the suspension was imposed by the BMV with no involvement from the court system, so there was nothing anyone could do. Lawyers advised me it would have easily taken the whole 90 days and hundreds of dollars to get a hardship license, so it wouldn't even be worth the trouble!

Sorry, thread hijack.

</rant>

I live in Indiana, where all you have to do to get a CCW is apply and send in the cash (providing you have a clean record.) You can also opt for a "Lifetime Permit" for a bit extra. I think people should have to go through some type of firearms safety training, but to be honest, I think "Firearms Safety" should be a required class in High School. :P

Last edited by LegatoRedrivers; 04-25-2010 at 09:00 PM.