Is CCW constitutional
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is CCW constitutional

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is CCW constitutional

The second amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. Therefore it is a right not a privilege, like say driving. So can government, according to the 2nd amendment, make laws that require citizens to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and on top of that charge a high price for that license (some states charge as much as $100, which to some is a lot of money)?

In my opinion, only convicted felons should have to have government license to carry concealed and those granted on a case by case basis. What is your opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

In the purest sense, the 2nd Amendment grants the right to keep & bear arms. This being said, we are a nation that tries to legislate safety and morality - neither of which is necessarily needed or successful. Over half the voting population put an administration in office that wants to control nearly every aspect of our lives - so to these - regulation and control is good. Things are what they are and "we've" won many battles in recent years - and "we'll" continue to do so as long as we choose the battles carefully and build on each success.

All this gun regulation did not happen overnight and we will not be rid of it overnight either. As to whether it's constitutional - I guess we'll have to wait for the Supreme Court to rule on this issue - and I doubt they're in a hurry to do so...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-21-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Second Amendment should be the only "license or permit" required for a law abiding American to carry a firearm.

Notice that I specified "law abiding". How that can be done without infringing on the 2A, I don't know.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Virginia's constitution is considered the protector of the right to open carry. Personally I find it offensive that I should have to go through a process at a court house, including fingerprints, simply because I want to put my jacket over my handgun rather than behind it.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

personally to me it's not big deal doing the paper work and fingerprinting...i've got nothing to hide (no i'm not implying other people do) the part that gets me is the having to pay so much money...but on the other hand...criminals aren't gonna do paper work or anything...a criminal is gonna carry a gun and commit a crime regaurdless of the law or regulations

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
Virginia's constitution is considered the protector of the right to open carry. Personally I find it offensive that I should have to go through a process at a court house, including fingerprints, simply because I want to put my jacket over my handgun rather than behind it.
I second that. I believe if you can legally buy a handgun you should be able to carry it....open or concealed w/o a license.

I think only convicted felons should have to get a ccw and those issued on a case by case basis. Say an ex-con owns a legitimate business and handles large amounts of cash, then he would have to apply for a ccw permit.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #7

ok but honestly how many criminals are actually gonna follow the law? if they did they wouldn't be criminals to begin with...like i said a criminal is gonna get a gun and hide it regaurdless of the law...atleast that's the way i see it

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
ok but honestly how many criminals are actually gonna follow the law? if they did they wouldn't be criminals to begin with...like i said a criminal is gonna get a gun and hide it regaurdless of the law...atleast that's the way i see it
Well, as per clip11's example, not all people considered criminals want to commit crime. Maybe someone did something stupid when they were younger, then later in life, take up a job that requires them to handle large sums of money. Technically, they are a criminal, but they don't consequently want to commit further crime. All this assumes that I understood clip11 correctly.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The Second Amendment should be the only "license or permit" required for a law abiding American to carry a firearm.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackB View Post
Well, as per clip11's example, not all people considered criminals want to commit crime. Maybe someone did something stupid when they were younger, then later in life, take up a job that requires them to handle large sums of money. Technically, they are a criminal, but they don't consequently want to commit further crime. All this assumes that I understood clip11 correctly.
Thats exactly what I mean.