Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Is CCW constitutional (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ccw-constitutional-26316/)

clip11 04-21-2010 03:03 PM

Is CCW constitutional

The second amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. Therefore it is a right not a privilege, like say driving. So can government, according to the 2nd amendment, make laws that require citizens to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and on top of that charge a high price for that license (some states charge as much as $100, which to some is a lot of money)?

In my opinion, only convicted felons should have to have government license to carry concealed and those granted on a case by case basis. What is your opinions?

NGIB 04-21-2010 03:38 PM

In the purest sense, the 2nd Amendment grants the right to keep & bear arms. This being said, we are a nation that tries to legislate safety and morality - neither of which is necessarily needed or successful. Over half the voting population put an administration in office that wants to control nearly every aspect of our lives - so to these - regulation and control is good. Things are what they are and "we've" won many battles in recent years - and "we'll" continue to do so as long as we choose the battles carefully and build on each success.

All this gun regulation did not happen overnight and we will not be rid of it overnight either. As to whether it's constitutional - I guess we'll have to wait for the Supreme Court to rule on this issue - and I doubt they're in a hurry to do so...

CA357 04-21-2010 04:05 PM

The Second Amendment should be the only "license or permit" required for a law abiding American to carry a firearm.

Notice that I specified "law abiding". How that can be done without infringing on the 2A, I don't know.

mpd8488 04-21-2010 06:40 PM

Virginia's constitution is considered the protector of the right to open carry. Personally I find it offensive that I should have to go through a process at a court house, including fingerprints, simply because I want to put my jacket over my handgun rather than behind it.

unknownhero82 04-21-2010 06:54 PM

personally to me it's not big deal doing the paper work and fingerprinting...i've got nothing to hide (no i'm not implying other people do) the part that gets me is the having to pay so much money...but on the other hand...criminals aren't gonna do paper work or anything...a criminal is gonna carry a gun and commit a crime regaurdless of the law or regulations

clip11 04-21-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpd8488 (Post 273815)
Virginia's constitution is considered the protector of the right to open carry. Personally I find it offensive that I should have to go through a process at a court house, including fingerprints, simply because I want to put my jacket over my handgun rather than behind it.

I second that. I believe if you can legally buy a handgun you should be able to carry it....open or concealed w/o a license.

I think only convicted felons should have to get a ccw and those issued on a case by case basis. Say an ex-con owns a legitimate business and handles large amounts of cash, then he would have to apply for a ccw permit.

unknownhero82 04-21-2010 08:14 PM

ok but honestly how many criminals are actually gonna follow the law? if they did they wouldn't be criminals to begin with...like i said a criminal is gonna get a gun and hide it regaurdless of the law...atleast that's the way i see it

ZackB 04-21-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownhero82 (Post 273865)
ok but honestly how many criminals are actually gonna follow the law? if they did they wouldn't be criminals to begin with...like i said a criminal is gonna get a gun and hide it regaurdless of the law...atleast that's the way i see it

Well, as per clip11's example, not all people considered criminals want to commit crime. Maybe someone did something stupid when they were younger, then later in life, take up a job that requires them to handle large sums of money. Technically, they are a criminal, but they don't consequently want to commit further crime. All this assumes that I understood clip11 correctly.

dunerunner 04-21-2010 08:34 PM

I agree with this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 273678)
The Second Amendment should be the only "license or permit" required for a law abiding American to carry a firearm.

clip11 04-21-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackB (Post 273875)
Well, as per clip11's example, not all people considered criminals want to commit crime. Maybe someone did something stupid when they were younger, then later in life, take up a job that requires them to handle large sums of money. Technically, they are a criminal, but they don't consequently want to commit further crime. All this assumes that I understood clip11 correctly.

Thats exactly what I mean.