CCW Class Yesterday
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW Class Yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default CCW Class Yesterday

I took my Concealed Carry class yesterday and I passed.

In CA you must also qualify with the firearms that you'll carry because they are listed on the permit.

So, I qualified with my Sistema 1911, but didn't qualify with the new RIA 1911 and I want both 1911's on there.

I just picked it up last Tuesday, ran 350 rounds through it for function testing on Thursday and then tried to qualify with it on Saturday. I'll hit the range with it a couple of times between now and the 17th when I can re-qualify with it. On Thursday, I was checking for function rather than trying to get dialed in with the pistol.

After that, I'll turn in the actual application. My background check is done and the Chief gave me the go ahead to take the class and submit the application.

There's one other thing left to do other than re-shooting the course of fire; I have to have three character reference letters. I've asked my three best friends, but they've been dealing with some stuff and haven't gotten them to me yet.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
There's one other thing left to do other than re-shooting the course of fire.
You mean other than move to a non communist state? LOL

Quote:
; I have to have three character reference letters. I've asked my three best friends, but they've been dealing with some stuff and haven't gotten them to me yet
Maybe they aren't as good a friend as you thought, or are afraid of receiving a visit from the govt?

Good Luck... I understand you don't have an opportunity to relocate, but that's a tough state to even own a firearm.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm a fair hand with a pistol, but this was different from standing at a table and aiming at a target. I learned that I must now practice at the action pistol range rather than the regular target range.

This is the course of fire:

Definitions:

Gun Ready Position - starting with the gun out of the holster, pointed down @ approx. 45º, off target, trigger finger in the Register Position.

Hip Position - weapon holstered with hand resting on grip.

Surrender Position - weapon holstered and hands above shoulders.

Register Position - (1) finger off trigger and outside the trigger guard, (2) trigger finger braced on the receiver/frame, other than the bow of the trigger guard.

Semi-Automatic

3 Yard Line: 5 Rounds Total

1. From the "Gun Ready" position, fire 2 rounds in 2 seconds with strong hand only. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

2. From the "Gun Ready" position, fire 3 rounds in 4 seconds: 2 rounds to the body with strong hand only, 1 round to the head strong hand supported. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command. (Failure Drill)

7 Yard Line: 20 Rounds Total

1. From the “Surrender” position, draw and fire 5 rounds, strong hand supported in 15 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

2. From the “Hip” position, draw and fire 5 rounds, strong hand supported in 4 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

3. From the “Hip” position, draw and fire 2 rounds standing, strong hand supported. Drop to kneeling position and make a magazine switch. Fire 3 rounds kneeling, weak hand unsupported within 15 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

4. From the “Surrender” position, draw and fire 2 rounds standing, strong hand supported. Drop to a kneeling position and make a magazine switch. Fire 3 rounds kneeling, strong hand supported within 15 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

15 Yard Line: (Barricade) 5 Rounds Total - "Surrender Position"

1. On command, approach barricade at a hurried pace, draw and fire 2 rounds strong hand supported from standing position behind barricade. Drop to a kneeling position behind barricade and make a magazine switch. Fire 3 rounds strong hand supported from kneeling position (strong side) behind barricade within 18 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

Reloading:

When firing from 7 & 15 yards, a magazine switch will be required regardless of capacity. Range Officers will be observing to ensure that you keep your firearm pointed down range and your finger is off the trigger at all times when drawing, holstering or reloading your firearm. Violating these rules are grounds for immediate disqualification and dismissal.

Scoring:

Passing Score = 75%

A total of 30 rounds will be fired at the target. In order to qualify, 23 of the 30 rounds fired must be within the white outer rings to score as a hit.

Strikes breaking the white outline of the outer ring count as a hit.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
You mean other than move to a non communist state? LOL

Maybe they aren't as good a friend as you thought, or are afraid of receiving a visit from the govt?

Good Luck... I understand you don't have an opportunity to relocate, but that's a tough state to even own a firearm.
I'll be one of the fortunate to be able to legally carry. Actually there are quite a few CCW's issued but they are in less populated counties where the real people live.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

how big is the outer ring?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Don, you got three friends?

Is Two Ball Cane helping you?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

Liked 261 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Wow in florida my CCW class was 2hrs class just general knowledge and 1 hour range but actually all i had to do was shoot 5 rds out of a ruger target .22 and 5 rds out of a .38 spl and that was IT and 2 old people in the class had to have the guy pull the hamer back for them and one even turned around in the lane with the weapon swingin around musta passed 5 people as she turned around AND THEY BOTH PASSED. i mean a 5yo could pass the ccw here and fl reciprocates with 34 states

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 09-04-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #8

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
I'll be one of the fortunate to be able to legally carry. Actually there are quite a few CCW's issued but they are in less populated counties where the real people live.
Isn't living in Amador County cool?

Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's an interesting idea Cane.

It's a B27 target and I should be able to do well. My problem is that I am not used to movement when I shoot.

I qualified for the action pistol range at my home range by drawing and firing five rounds, changing mags and firing two rounds. That was the qualification. That's the extent of my drawing and firing, magazine changes, shooting from behind cover and movement until the course of fire yesterday.

Considering my lack of experience, I'm grateful that I qualified at all. I know what I need to practice now and I'm sure I'll qualify with the RIA on the 17th.

I also think I'll look into shooting in the competitions so I can elevate the skills I acquire. By nature I don't usually care for competitions, but these could be life saving.

They're relatively inexpensive and much cheaper than Gunsite or Thunder Ranch or somewhere.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #10

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
Wow in florida my CCW class was 2hrs class just general knowledge and 1 hour range but actually all i had to do was shoot 5 rds out of a ruger target .22 and 5 rds out of a .38 spl and that was IT and 2 old people in the class had to have the guy pull the hamer back for them and one even turned around in the lane with the weapon swingin around musta passed 5 people as she turned around AND THEY BOTH PASSED. i mean a 5yo could pass the ccw here and fl reciprocates with 34 states
That sounds like the "gun show" training. It is about volume and money.

I teach the class for CCW, in Florida, and I assure you my students leave with more knowledge than they came with, and they usually are ready to stop shooting, cause they are wore out. I prefer to teach two students at the time and will never teach more than four at the time.

When we finish the NRA class, that trains in the use of ONE handgun, we shoot heaps and gobs of revolvers and pistols so that they get a chance to see what they like. I have had more than one student who wished they and not already bought a handgun before the class, 'cause they found something that worked much better for them.

I use the classes to finance my god fosaken Mosin Nagant habit, I really enjoy teaching the classes and my students and I have a damn good time and they get their money's worth. Its a win/win.

Carl Sagan