ccw carry for left handers driving a vehicle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > ccw carry for left handers driving a vehicle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ccw carry for left handers driving a vehicle

any advice or direction much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I would have to assume that you are a left handed shooter. I am left handed, but I shoot right handed as I am right eye dominant, so it's a different issue for me.

Depending on the vehicle, you might be able to stash your weapon in the slot in the door and access it easily. CAUTION though: If you leave the vehicle, this could be illegal in your area.

A good shoulder rig is always a good choice. It's not in the way of the seatbelt, provided you position it correctly, and it's easy to access as you crank the wheel away from the threat of the moment.

Take a look at this rig and see what you think. I have it for my 1911's and I love it. Conceals well and distributes the weight for all day carry.

Best of luck -

JD

Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #3

For a car? Preferably a .45, but you just can't beat the CZ 85 when it comes to left handers

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg27-e.htm

Ambidetreous. Luff it.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeas View Post
couldnt help ya there as in ohio last i knew you had to have your gun in the glove box during your commute. but the best thing to do is get used to shooting with your right hand that way you can use your left hand on the wheel and it would also be easier to draw and aim since you have the door right there in the way

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeas View Post
Is the concern about addressing a threat at the drivers door? Other than that I'm not sure what would be remarkably different between left or right handed.

I think you can make any carry technique that you prefer for daily wear work. My old partner on PD was a leftie and he didn't have any problem presenting his sidearm from strong side while sitting in the drivers seat.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Being a lefty when driving is ideal. You're able to clear leather as you're exiting the vehicle and taking up position. Us right handed folks need to be most of the way out of the car before we're able to draw.

As always, strong side, FBI cant, closed muzzle holster, FTW.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i think a cross draw holster would work good aswell

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Take a look at this rig and see what you think. I have it for my 1911's and I love it. Conceals well and distributes the weight for all day carry.
JD I pegged you for a Galco MIAMI CLASSIC II user!

It's fitting!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Bovice- necro-posting or not, couple of REAL good points. My 357 is about 675 ft lbs of energy. My F-150 is about 10,000 ft lbs of energy.

Most of us have just had drilled into us to AVOID hitting people with a vehicle, to the point that we don't even consider it.

Had a friend subjected to carjacking attempt 2 yrs ago. 3 perps- one on left, one right, one in front. Perp on left attempted to open door (all y'all DO lock your doors, right?) When that failed, he presented small handgun, demanded driver give him car- and wallet. Driver ducked, stomped the gas, and was still spinning tires when he drove over the perp standing in front of him. If they are gonna shoot at you, make them shoot at a moving target that is getting further away all the time.

Be willing to drive on the sidewalk, to run the light, or to PUSH the car ahead out of the way.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Steveeas, I'm am in the same boat as Dillinger, that is I am left handed but shoot right handed. I carry in Indiana and recently upgraded to a Fobus paddle holster. I am 24 years old and only weigh about 180 lbs and carry a full size government model 1911 and with the paddle holster it is very comfortable. I drive a small regular cab pickup truck and have no problem with my firearm interferring with the operation of the seat belt. I also have no problem concealing the pistol under a t-shirt with this style holster. I used to use a "Special Agent" belt clip holster made by Federal Holster Works but if I walked alot or had to run, the gun would bounce making it very akward to have on me. I even dropped it in the mud one day while chasing my dog that got loose. After I got this holster I would often forget I had the pistol on me from time to time. It's that comfortable compared to the other one.

Oh almost forgot to say, I carry my pistol on my right side with the magazine bottom facing back. I tried crossdraw but found it to akward to deal with.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380