CCW in a bar - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW in a bar

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
 
Argyle_Armoring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 897
Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmiller70 View Post
i recently had a conversation with a friend who talked me into getting my ltc permit. He said he never carries in a bar because he never wants to be put into a situation in which he has fired his weapon and he has alcohol in his system. While i understand that as a great point, in a bar is one of the places i feel most concerned for my safety. I'm not a drunk by any means but i do occasionally stop and have a beer or two with a friend at a local bar. I am getting my permit to protect myself in these kinds of situations, but i totally get my friends hesitation. What are some of the other opinions out there concerning drinking and carrying? Again, being drunk is out of the question, i'm talking responsible drinking.
never carry while drinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a federal officer and I'm exempt from some of the laws that concern civilian carry in certain places but never would I carry into a bar or while I'm drinking. That is just plain unintelligent, AKA STUPID.
__________________

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Argyle_Armoring is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,156
Liked 901 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
never carry while drinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a federal officer and I'm exempt from some of the laws that concern civilian carry in certain places but never would I carry into a bar or while I'm drinking. That is just plain unintelligent, AKA STUPID.
Read post #18, what would you do, Officer or Not?
__________________
mseric is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,645
Liked 2546 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Default

A bright light works wonders on the partially inebriated.

And there's no shortage of batteries. You won't be able

to blow somebody's brains against a wall, but even though

you're not slaughtering someone in the name of self defense,

it will get the job done.

Or just drink at home...

__________________
therewolf is offline  
gr8oldguy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,156
Liked 901 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
A bright light works wonders on the partially inebriated.

And there's no shortage of batteries. You won't be able

to blow somebody's brains against a wall, but even though

you're not slaughtering someone in the name of self defense,

it will get the job done.

Or just drink at home...
Self Defense is "Slaughtering"? Sounds like a few speeches of late. Interesting take on the laws of self defense.

Really, shine a light at the bad guy and he will go away? Ya mean like a Raccoon in your garbage can?
Maybe the BG might not take to kindly to that light in his eyes and he just feels the need to take it away from you and shove it where the sun-don't-shine.

I'll add you solution to my scenario to my original question.
__________________

Last edited by mseric; 07-27-2013 at 02:47 PM.
mseric is offline  
rn-cindy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
 
Argyle_Armoring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 897
Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
As AXX has pointed out right from the beginning, know your State Laws.

Here in MN it is legal to carry in a bar open or concealed with a permit.

BAC of .04 is a Misdemeanor.

Repeat Offence above .10 is a Gross Misdemeanor.

Gun and Permit are not subject to forfeiture.

If you want to carry in the bar and it is legal, then do so, just do not drink.

The question is what to do after you leave the bar.
Lets say you left your carry piece in the car and went into the restaurant/bar with your wife for a meal and a few cocktails.

You returned to your vehicle, climbed into the passenger seat, cuz your wife is driving as you have had too much alcohol to drive. As she is entering the vehicle she is suddenly attacked by a couple thugs robbing her and beating the hell out of her.

You are in fear for her life, What do you do? You have been drinking, you have a firearm at your disposal and can save her from certain death.

Do you get out of the vehicle unarmed and try and stop them?

Do you sit in the car, lock the doors and call 911?

Do you get out of the vehicle and run away screaming, Help me, Help me, somebody please help me?

Do you pick up the firearm and shoot these thugs thus saving your wife's life and your marriage?

Remember Alcohol and Guns do not mix!
This theoretical situation would never happen to us but I'll play along. Since I was obviously drinking my sidearm is in the vehicle and not on my person. Due to the nature of the CQC I would not use my sidearm. I would use my Gerber Pro Covert Automatic knife, my 5.11 ATAC L1 light, and my bowstaff skillz to dispatch the thugs.
__________________

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Argyle_Armoring is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,156
Liked 901 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
This theoretical situation would never happen to us but I'll play along. Since I was obviously drinking my sidearm is in the vehicle and not on my person. Due to the nature of the CQC I would not use my sidearm. I would use my Gerber Pro Covert Automatic knife, my 5.11 ATAC L1 light, and my bowstaff skillz to dispatch the thugs.
How many thugs can you take down with this technique? How many of us Non-LEO, NON-Trained in hand-to-hand do you think we can take down? Would this work if the thugs were armed?

I just had back surgery and I would get my ass kicked if I tried this. What do you suggest for the average Joe, The average wife of Joe, Old timers that just don't have the strength anymore, and cripples like me?
__________________

Last edited by mseric; 07-27-2013 at 02:53 PM.
mseric is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
 
Argyle_Armoring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 897
Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
How many thugs can you take down with this technique? How many of us Non-LEO, NON-Trained in hand-to-hand do you think we can take down?

I just had back surgery and I would get my ass kicked if I tried this. What do you suggest for the average Joe, The average wife of Joe, Old timers that just don't have the strength anymore, and cripples like me?
Again, I can only answer this non-plausible/theoretical question for myself, not others. You want my advice? Don't drink in public. Carry your gun with you everywhere and don't drink in public. I rarely ever drink in public because I'm required to have my sidearm on my 24/7. The entire time it's in the truck I'm thinking about it. So I may drink in public 2 or 3 times a year. Staying armed is a good way to stay sober.
__________________

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Argyle_Armoring is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,mi
Posts: 2,881
Liked 898 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
The law here in Michigan says carrying in a bar is a no-no. That aside, common sense should tell you if you're gonna have a couple pops, leave the gun in the safe. Particularly if you frequent places where trouble simmers just under the surface.
Not completely accurate...

with a CPL, you can open carry in a "bar"... then you get into the quirky law on what defines a "bar". If the facility has a liquor license of any kind, store or restaurant and you do not have a CPL, you can't even park in the parking lot with a firearm in transport mode. With a CPL, you can carry concealed or OC. Then we can get into the amount of alcohol in your system, which is just as screwy as the rest of the law.

Back on topic, the one thing that has really hit home with me, if I feel the need to carry in a particular situation, then I probably shouldn't be in that situation.
__________________
partdeux is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,156
Liked 901 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
Again, I can only answer this non-plausible/theoretical question for myself, not others. You want my advice? Don't drink in public. Carry your gun with you everywhere and don't drink in public. I rarely ever drink in public because I'm required to have my sidearm on my 24/7. The entire time it's in the truck I'm thinking about it. So I may drink in public 2 or 3 times a year. Staying armed is a good way to stay sober.
You may not drink in public, but there are Millions of American's that do. For those that do enjoy a drink or two with dinner and for those that do not have the SD skills that you have, what do you suggest?
__________________
mseric is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,421
Liked 1038 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Default

OP, any laws concerning this aside, I agree with your friend's opinion 100%. If you have ANY alcohol in your system, and you shoot somebody, Heaven help you.
My comment is this; If you fear for your safety in a bar, you really need to find another bar. Of all the bars I've been in, (and admittedly, I'm not a bar guy), I have never felt unsafe. I don't think by definition that bars and being unsafe go hand-in-hand....
Now, could something happen? Well, yeah. But something might happen ANYWHERE, even at church. It's just part of life.

Quote:
You may not drink in public, but there are Millions of American's that do. For those that do enjoy a drink or two with dinner and for those that do not have the SD skills that you have, what do you suggest?
Actually, he answered your question 100% in his statement you quoted above. What's more important, public drinking, or personal safety? Maybe the 2 can't co-exist........
And, I've always found there to be plenty of good non-alcoholic choices on the dinner menu. Pepsi Products are my favorite.
__________________

Last edited by clr8ter; 07-27-2013 at 03:22 PM.
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes