CCW in a bar
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW in a bar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default CCW in a bar

I recently had a conversation with a friend who talked me into getting my ltc permit. He said he never carries in a bar because he never wants to be put into a situation in which he has fired his weapon and he has alcohol in his system. While I understand that as a great point, in a bar is one of the places I feel most concerned for my safety. I'm not a drunk by any means but I do occasionally stop and have a beer or two with a friend at a local bar. I am getting my permit to protect myself in these kinds of situations, but I totally get my friends hesitation. What are some of the other opinions out there concerning drinking and carrying? Again, being drunk is out of the question, I'm talking responsible drinking.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21284 Times on 12078 Posts
Likes Given: 53062

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmiller70 View Post
I recently had a conversation with a friend who talked me into getting my ltc permit. He said he never carries in a bar because he never wants to be put into a situation in which he has fired his weapon and he has alcohol in his system. While I understand that as a great point, in a bar is one of the places I feel most concerned for my safety. I'm not a drunk by any means but I do occasionally stop and have a beer or two with a friend at a local bar. I am getting my permit to protect myself in these kinds of situations, but I totally get my friends hesitation. What are some of the other opinions out there concerning drinking and carrying? Again, being drunk is out of the question, I'm talking responsible drinking.
first of all need to check your states carry laws concerning carrying in a bar. every state has different laws concerning this. some you can't under any circustances, some you can if you're not drinking, some you can drink but not be over the legal limit for that state, ect., ect.,,,,

check your state's carry laws. being in the wrong place at the wrong time carrying, could cost you your permit or freedom.
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #3

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmiller70
Here in Indiana you can carry, but NO DRINKING!!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I think even one drink could cause you a problem if the bang switch gets pulled better to not have it if drinking one in public is important to you go and have two

Old 07-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Booze and powder do not mix well.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #6

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't drink when at a Bar/Restaurant/Party/Friends House, if I know I'm gonna be driving or carrying.
Too many "unknowns" out there, when you leave. DUI Checkpoints, Sidewalk Stop&Frisk(NY thing), meeting Cops on Sidewalk and they smell Alcohol on Friends breath, so they stop you too. That would go over real good if they smell Alocohol on your breath and you packing. I know what you mean about some Bars, as that's the worse place to not have protection. Same when walking into a Bank, and nowadays a Church.
Nah. Not worth it.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Not only is it illegal in my state to do so . A gun in a bar is just not a good idea imho .

But seeing I don't drink and having my carry permit actually helped me to quit drinking. So it's really not a concern for me.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 07-27-2013 at 06:02 AM.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In many states you can not legally drink in your car setting in your drive way if you have the car keys. The sensitivity in America about alcohol use right or wrong is vengeful. Carrying firearms even legally is not always popular. Mixing a concealed weapon with alcohol use is asking for a felony charge.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 447 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmiller70 View Post
You are planning on purposely carrying in a bar because you want to "protect myself in these kinds of situations". Don't put yourself in that situation. If you feel that uncomfortable that you feel you need protection, there's is something wrong. In this case, you should listen to your friend.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Here is a list your mother should have gone over with you. Some are early things to learn in life, some are later.

No tongue on light poles or mail boxes in dead of winter. (Good summer advice also for different reasons)

Look both ways when crossing the street

On a date, keep mister perky in your pants

Don't talk to strangers

No smoking while pumping gas

Salt your food after you taste it

Do not mix drugs or alcohol with firearms